Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Miltown (meprobamate)  (Read 133 times)

Offline chris1234

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Miltown (meprobamate)
« on: January 15, 2014, 01:03:40 PM »
My doctor has prescribed me "miltown" or meprobamate has anyone ever heard of it or have any reviews on it? I don't know anything about it so I'm looking for some insight before I start taking it
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Miltown (meprobamate)
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 01:26:28 PM »
Hi Chris...

I'm not completely clear why your physician has prescribed you Miltown (meprobamate).  This is a very old, minor tranquilizer.  It has largely been replaced by the benzodiazepines, such as Klonopin, due to their wider therapeutic index (lower toxicity) and lower incidence of serious side effects.  Be aware that Miltown has most of the pharmacological effects and dangers that barbiturates have.

Like the benzodiazepines, Miltown should be used for the short-term relief of anxiety.  If long term medication is required, anti-depressants are the preferred choice.

In doing a little research, I found this fact interesting: As of 2012, meprobamate (Miltown) is no longer used in any developed nation.  Hence my question as to why your doctor chose this medication???

The very best to you, Chris!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline chris1234

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 03:36:22 PM »
Yeah I'm not too sure he said his patients were reporting good results with it and that I should try it so I guess it's worth a try but looks like I'll be going back soon lol
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 67
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 06:28:12 PM »
My doctor has prescribed me "miltown" or meprobamate has anyone ever heard of it or have any reviews on it?

It probably doesn't actually have any anti anxiety properties, but just sedates patients into indifference. There are better meds, and better doctors too.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags:

anything