Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: ALS Fear  (Read 234 times)

Offline max777

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
ALS Fear
« on: January 15, 2014, 10:50:51 AM »
Hi,
My name is Max and I have been very concerned recently about ALS. Iíve been reading these forums a lot, which has furthered my understanding of the disease, as well as greatly increased my sympathy for those who have it and my empathy for those who think they have it. If possible, I would be extremely humbled and appreciative if you guys could provide me some insight as to what I may (or may not) have.
About two years ago, I had weakness in my leg and started getting twitches in my body.  I had an MRI done to rule out MS. The MRI was clean and all my blood work has been normal. The weakness in my leg subsided moderately, and over the past 2 years not much has changed (the twitching has stayed with slight weakness in my legs). This is what scares me:
For over a year - I have twitches in both my eyelids.
1 month ago - I had some trouble typing and using a mouse (mostly with the mouse as my finger with sometimes twitch/click unintentionally.
This month - my right hand tremors and both my legs feel weak, especially my right leg
This past week - I have a lumpy/tight feeling in my throat
This past week Ė Iíve had trouble sleeping due to hypnic jerk

I can still walk and type, but my legs feel materially weaker and my right hand has a noticeable tremor/shake, even though I can still type.
I am 23 years-old, which I know is young and rare for ALS, but it is already rare for people my age to have all of these symptoms, so I wonder what the statistics say about the odds of a 23-year old having leg and hand weakness and having a clean MRI.   
Anyway, if someone could give me some advice or ideas, it would really help. Iíve been crying all weekend because Iíve never been used to having a hand tremor or very weak legs before.
Thank you all, and God bless.
Bookmark and Share

Offline emily1994

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: ALS Fear
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 09:20:32 PM »
Hi Max,
I understand what you are going through. It is very hard to feel these sensations and not knowing the cause. However, I don't believe you have ALS. I worried about this too. If you had ALS, your weakness would have progressed fairly quickly. You said this perceived weakness has been going on for over a year. By now, you would be basically paralyzed. This disease moves quick and hard. Also, I'm sure you have read that the muscle twitches comes after the muscle has died. Meaning, the disease would have left that part of your body useless before it twitched. I understand the twitching is also different than the ones commonly caused by anxiety. There is a difference between feeling weak and actually being weak. Anxiety can cause tremors, for sure. Try not to worry about ALS. You don't have it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 05:27:09 AM »
Stop worrying about ALS, you dont have it. It progresses much quicker, and you would be in wheel chair by now. It also starts with muscle atrophy.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gomubukai

• Rec's: 6
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 05:58:46 AM »
You don't have it.  :)

One of my friend's mum's has it and it doesn't start with something like a twitching eyelid. It also doesn't come and go.

If you couldn't use a mouse you wouldn't be able to use a mouse anymore. It's degenerative so when the nerves that feed that part of your body have weakened, they're gone for good. You wouldn't be able to use the weakened hand for much else either. Lifting a teacup or opening a door etc would be impossible. But by the time you got to that stage there would be no mistaking it. Twitches also occur very late in the progression - they're not presenting symptoms.

Really, you're fine. Those are all symptoms of anxiety :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dayvid

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 12:14:28 PM »
I can kind of relate - here's why.

Recently i've been having jerks (fingers, legs etc) and i thought NOTHING of them... Googled it... and that was it.  Fear of MS and ALS.

Here's where it made me laugh - the minute i started thinking about it - i felt weakness, more shaking all sorts! But before.. i had just twitches.. no weakness. It seems like the worrying and constantly keeping your eye on your symptoms creates the symptoms.

Try not to think about it - what you described isn't how ALS starts - or so i've been told by the lovely people here :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline lovelovelovealways

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 02:38:49 PM »
I have had this fear too... You are not alone!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: ALS weakness