Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Logically reasoning with GI issues...  (Read 249 times)

Offline tsh003

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Logically reasoning with GI issues...
« on: January 15, 2014, 08:18:15 AM »
Back on christmas I passed a BM which overall seemed normal but slightly thinner than normal. I don't know if it was that I didn't get enough sleep the night before or perhaps that I was stressed over something else but at that moment, I decided that this was something to start worrying about. Day after day I would have a giant knot in my stomach as each BM would come out smaller, flatter, thinner than what I'm used to -- mind you, never the same size, always all over the place. Of course in true HA fashion, I worried about the presence of Colon Cancer (even though I'm only 20- CC at this age is super rare, not impossible though) - but my mom had it back in '96 and I remember her saying she had really thin stools (she beat it though, also she isn't my biological mom so I have no idea if I have genes for developing CC)

I left the country for China on a school trip and I thought to myself, perhaps embarking on an adventure will make everything go away. Unfortunately, I couldn't have been more wrong. I know for a few days prior to Christmas day I had been worrying about China as far as the air pollution (The perfect thing to worry about with HA) - and I think being there was stressful in itself so of course, my BM's didn't get any better. I finally got to the point where I didn't think I would be able to complete the entire trip so I found a way to come back a week early. Due to delays and such I had to fly through London and it took about 42 hours to get home, however while I was in London, finally out of China, I somehow passed a regular size BM. I couldn't believe it  :sprachlos020: - Of course, after that happened, I started worrying about if the next one would be normal or back to different - the next few ones were different and then a few days ago I had another normal one.

I went to see an internal medicine doctor and explained to her that, because this had essentially ruined China for me, I had to get to the bottom of it. She wasn't concerned remotely about the possible presence of CC whatsoever and together, we came to these conclusions.

1: When I'm at home on breaks from school, I don't eat anywhere the same amount of food. less food=less BM material
2: Stress = tightening/tension of everything - I can feel my stomach/abdominal area pissed off at me = possible strange looking stool
3: I got a CT of pelvis and abdominal area this past summer for something else, absolutely clean - if there was now something so big that blocking up colon, it would have been seen that recently on CT.
4: I've also read that if this was caused by cancer, by now I would be having a plethora of other symptoms as well.
5: Also, BM's wouldn't be changing, if there was a tumor causing things to look flat, they wouldn't be super thin one day, somewhat thin the next day, and normal diameter/width the next and back to thin the next?

Would it?

I know I probably answered my own questions but does this make sense to anyone else? How can I bring myself to believe her and not go seeking out more doctors over this. I can't afford to get a colonoscopy done right now, and I'd probably look ridiculous for being 20 and getting one anyways.

She said to let her know if things get worse after I get back to my normal diet at school, or if blood in stool or other symptoms develop - of course, I'm already worried it's going to be one of those someday.

Sorry for the long post.  :spineyes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Logically reasoning with GI issues...
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 08:23:43 AM »
If you had a tumor, your stools would not get bigger in size again. That is more likely IBS or anxiety. Second, getting a colonoscopy at 20 is not ridiculous. I was 22 and had one.
Bookmark and Share