Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Night sweating, hot flashes, sweaty palms & feet  (Read 926 times)

Offline psychopika

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Whatever doesn't kill you fucks you up mentally
    • Poke This Member
Night sweating, hot flashes, sweaty palms & feet
« on: January 15, 2014, 05:38:23 AM »
In the last 2 months (when I've been suffering from severe, almost debilitating Health Anxiety every day) - I've started developing symptoms that only increased my anxiety to over the top...

I first began worrying about having lymphoma 2 months ago, for quite irrational reasons. After 2 blood typing tests which showed I'm type B (my parents are both O so I couldn't have type B) - I started thinking that a lymphoma changed my blood type. My complete blood count was perfect, but it still got into my head that I have a lymphoma and that's why my blood type is B. Crazy?

A week after thinking I have lymphoma I found a small 8mm-1cm node in my neck, which is quite mobile and not very hard (a bit squishy). I went crazy over it, but both the ultrasound (2 of them) and 3 doctors told me it was very likely a benign reactive node and to relax (and indeed it hasn't grown or changed in 2 months).

Nonetheless, I went to a very bad place emotionally. I felt like I was doomed, I cried and screamed all day. Horrible.

After this I started having night sweats that were mild. At first they were like once a week, then they disappeared for 2 weeks, then they came back and now I have them 1 night out of 3. If I get covered in my blanket they are worse (I sweat on my chest, my armpits, my butt, around the bikini line, even on my shins. There is not a lot of sweat though - they are not drenching in any way and I don't need a clothes change. It just gets a bit damp, moist. There I touch skin on skin, I do get more sweat on that particular area. If I don't cover myself in the blanket I don't sweat at all. But I've never had these before and I've had anxiety for a long time (although it's true it's never been THIS bad).

But these night sweats drive me crazy, because I think they're maybe lymphoma. I wake up many times a night afraid I'll get night sweats and I wake up afraid, my heart pounds. I took my temperature several times during these episodes and I never have a fever, not even close. And I know lymphoma sweats are drenching and they are cause by a true raise in temperature - a fever, but I don't have that. I do sweat more when I'm more stressed during the previous day and I don't really get them much when I'm relaxed. I'm worried because I get them more often.

In the last 3 days I've started feeling very hot during the day as well. Like I get hot flashes, especially in the mornings and during the day and much less so in the evening. My face feels hot, my hands and feet feel cold and clammy and weird. When I make any tiny bit of effort or get emotional I feel hot flashes but I don't really sweat, I just feel weird.

I don't know what to do anymore. My doctor told me it's most likely anxiety but it feels so fucking weird. My hands and feet, and even my shins and thighs feel bizarre, cold/hot, weak and sweaty and sort of tingling.

Is this something that you get from anxiety? Did you experience anything like this?

Bookmark and Share

Offline Stressed Jumper

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Night sweating, hot flashes, sweaty palms & feet
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 08:26:13 AM »
Yes these can all be anxiety symptoms and I have had a few of them myself.  Let me ask you a few questions if you don't mind:  First, how old are you?  Hot flashes and night sweats are common symptoms of menopause and peri-menopause as well as anxiety.  Second, are you on any meds?  Sweating/clammy hands/skin tingling are very common side effects of SSRI's like Zoloft, etc.  Also there is no way that anything can change your blood type, especially not lymphoma since that effects only white blood cells and if your blood counts came back normal then you do not have lymphoma.  Could one of your parents be mistaken about their blood type?  Hang in there and try to relax, maybe do a bit of meditation or deep breathing  (these help me) and talk to your doc about treatment options for your anxiety..
Bookmark and Share

Offline psychopika

Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 08:43:17 AM »
Yes these can all be anxiety symptoms and I have had a few of them myself.  Let me ask you a few questions if you don't mind:  First, how old are you?  Hot flashes and night sweats are common symptoms of menopause and peri-menopause as well as anxiety.  Second, are you on any meds?  Sweating/clammy hands/skin tingling are very common side effects of SSRI's like Zoloft, etc.  Also there is no way that anything can change your blood type, especially not lymphoma since that effects only white blood cells and if your blood counts came back normal then you do not have lymphoma.  Could one of your parents be mistaken about their blood type?  Hang in there and try to relax, maybe do a bit of meditation or deep breathing  (these help me) and talk to your doc about treatment options for your anxiety..

Thank you so much for answering...

I'm 28 so definitely no menopause for me - at least I hope so! I also don't take any medication at all. Funny enough I am trying to get pregnant so I can't take any drugs. I want to have a baby and then start a treatment as soon as I give birth, because otherwise it's more difficult to stop an ongoing treatment to have a child plus I'm not getting any younger so the sooner the better, no matter my psycho problems.

I know for a fact my father is type O because he was a donor. My mother told me she was type O and on her ID card it says 'blood type O' but that must have been tested long ago. Not sure how many times she tested her blood but I can't ask her because she's no longer with us. But I would think - if a lymphoma would possibly be big/advanced enough to change my blood type, it would change other things in my blood count as well, correct? I mean, my blood count was ace 2 months ago.

It's a very strange sensation, now I feel less hot and instead feel like my skin is cold but I have no chills. It feels like I have rubbed menthol all over my skin, especially on my legs and arms. Creepy! Is that anxiety as well? An hour earlier I felt as if I was going to have a panic attack and I haven't had one since 8 years ago.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Stressed Jumper

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 09:44:45 AM »
Please remember that I am not a doc but there is NO WAY lymphoma can change your blood type.  Blood type is tied to the antigens and Rh factors of your red blood cells while lymphoma only attacks white blood cells.  Below is a link to a good, easy to understand, article about blood types and what can change them by Dr. Oz.

http://blog.doctoroz.com/you-wanted-to-know/blood-type-basics-can-it-change

It sounds like anxiety to me (my panic attacks went away for years and then came back, went away again, etc.) which can produce all the physical symptoms you are experiencing and you should talk to your doc about it.  There are some anti anxiety meds that are safe to take during pregnancy if that is the route you choose to go or there are other non medical therapies like CBT and counseling.  I urge you to the doc because if you do get pregnant your hormones could make matters worse before it gets better. BTW are you on any fertility drugs?  These sometimes have side effects due to how they play with your hormones.  I hope this helps and for the love of all the gods stop Googling!  Hang in there!
Bookmark and Share

Offline psychopika

Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 06:33:47 AM »
Thank you! I do hope I don't have lymphoma, of all things!

I'm not taking any hormones / fertility pills either.

My night sweats continue... they're mild like moist skin in some areas and clothes dry up in a couple of minutes after I'm out of the blanket. I've talked to a doctor and he thinks anxiety alone can cause this. It's very distressing though. My doctor told me that night sweats from lymphoma are TRUE night sweats that are drenching and not what I have. That a FEVER causes them and I do not get a fever. I woke up several times during the night when I was sweating and took my oral temperature and it was like 36.0C (96.8F) every time. I can't believe I would get a fever for a short time and then only wake up after it goes waaay down to 36C - right? Also I stayed awake all night one time and didn't get any fever. I wouldn't get a fever ONLY when I'm sleeping, right? :)

Today I'm having less hot/cold symptoms and don't really get that menthol on skin sensation. Yesterday I took a Lyrica pill and when it kicked in my strange menthol sensations sort of went away.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ihadcancer

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 11:02:35 AM »
I just read yesterday that low blood sugar at bedtime can cause night sweats.  I saw it on the new insurance website we were forced to take.

Bookmark and Share

Tags: