Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: difference between xanax and clonazepam... ?  (Read 302 times)

Offline edosmonsterink

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
difference between xanax and clonazepam... ?
« on: January 15, 2014, 12:23:30 AM »
I am currently on my 17th day on  50mg zoloft and definitely feeling the side effects. I started with 25mg for the first 7 days. I feel very anxious and have panic attacks throughout the day. Ive been worse and worse a d waiting  till the zoloft takes affect. evry day I have been forceing myself to take my zoloft in the mornings hoping there is a payoff.  My question is I have xanax (alprazolam) 0.5mg.  Clonazepam 0.5mg and hydroxyzine pam 25mg. And which sould I take to get me through the start up of zoloft. And what is the difference between xanax and clonazepam?  I hear different things about each one. Thank you for ur guys help and support through this difficult time.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 88
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: difference between xanax and clonazepam... ?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 12:54:25 AM »
And what is the difference between xanax and clonazepam?

Hydroxyzine is an antihistamine with anti anxiety properties. It is not as powerful as the benzodiazepines (BZDs) Xanax (alprozalam) and clonazepam (Klonopin), but might be strong enough so is worth trying first. It will take 1-2 hours to reach maximum effectiveness, as will the BZDs. It's half-life is about 24 hours.

Xanax is a short acting BZD with a half-life of about 11 hours. Clonazepam is a long acting BZD with a half-life of up to 50 hours. If you only need a BZD occasionally, say 1-3 times a week then Xanax would be the better option, but if you need to take one every day then use the clonazepam.

Have these meds been prescribed to you? If so, what instructions were you given?

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline edosmonsterink

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 02:11:24 AM »

Have these meds been prescribed to you? If so, what instructions were you given?

Ian

Yes I have been perscribed these medications. I went to two different doctors and got them perscribed to me.  The xanax is take 1 two times a day as needed. Clonazepam is take half or 1 twice a day as needed. And was only given 10.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 88
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 06:26:05 AM »
Yes I have been perscribed these medications. I went to two different doctors and got them perscribed to me.  The xanax is take 1 two times a day as needed. Clonazepam is take half or 1 twice a day as needed. And was only given 10.

Okay, pick one and follow the directions. Please try and stick with one doctor for all your medications when on psych meds as there are potentially serious drug-drug interaction risks with some med combinations (both psych and non psych) so you should have one doctor supervising everything.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: Xanax clonazepam zoloft