Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Anxiety/Panic Disorder symptoms  (Read 158 times)

Offline bubbles18

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anxiety/Panic Disorder symptoms
« on: January 14, 2014, 08:43:45 PM »
Good Evening.....Lately I been dealing with all sorts of symptoms from some slight panic attacks and bigtime anxiety I've been having for aabout two weeks. Have lots on my mind, I worry and over think alot, dealing with some things at work and everyday stressors.  All of this basically threw me over the edge yet again as I suffered a major panic anxiety attack about two years ago that knocked me off my feet for months and I had to start taking sertreline.  So yes that was a brief history but yes I am here today with many of the same symptoms and after being off the meds for over a year had to be put back on them about a week ago :(. As you can see I am not happy about that.  Its interesting that I know i have this disorder but still think when I start having all this symptoms day in and day out that  am dying from some disease.  Its really hard to get those thoughts out my head. I've had a headached for daysssss now and I am sure its tensions, stress and probably the anxiety kicking in.  How do you keep your mind clear and work on getting rid of these thoughts? Thanks :)
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 152
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety/Panic Disorder symptoms
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 06:05:43 AM »
Well the best thing to know is anxiety can't kill you. It is just a series of bad feelings. Bad feelings the mind brings on. Because the body sent out danger signals to the mind. So the mind reacts. To protect us. Fact us they can make us feel bad. But that is about the worst thing they can really do to us. If you accept this it will go a long way to easing the symptoms you feel. Bit like not running from the symptoms. Letting them come on knowing they can't really hurt you. This can all take time. It can be hard to begin with. But once you get it right you will find things going your way.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 09:56:30 AM »
Hi Bubbles...

Acceptance is a key to our anxiety symptoms.  As Cuchculan mentioned, know that what you are experiencing is not going to harm you.  Do not fight or fear the feelings that your mind has created.  If you do, this just creates a loop of fear feeding fear, thus increasing the symptoms of anxiety.  I know that this is not easy to do, but the mind trained itself to display our anxiety symptoms, and it can be retrained to accept them which will break the loop and diminish or relieve the symptoms.  Reprogram your negative thoughts with positive ones.  This is one of the strategies of cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), which is something you may wish to add to your anti-anxiety tool chest.  I am scheduled to begin CBT in the next two weeks.

Do not beat yourself up over having to restart medication.  This is by no means a sign of weakness.  For many of us, anxiety/panic attacks/depression are chronic conditions that have an organic component that requires medication, no different than a person with diabetes needing to take insulin.  I have been on a anti-depressant for over four years now, and will most likely need to be on one the rest of my life.  I consider myself fortunate that anti-depressants are available, as it wasn't that many decades ago that these medications didn't exist.

Give yourself credit for each positive advancement you make, regardless of how small it is.  Remember that we had to crawl before we could walk, and walk before we could run.

The very best to you, Bubbles!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline bubbles18

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 10:04:49 PM »
Thank you both for your enouraging words. I somewhat have come to terms with the fact that I have this disorder but like you said Chuck its hard to stay in that frame of mind during these attacks and overwhelming feelings.  However, its been easier for me to say to myself that I am just having anxiety issues and I know why I started feeling this way.  I also tell myself that I been through this before 100 times worse two years ago and recovered so its just happening again due to the added stressors and I can get through this again.  As for the meds yeah I actually wasnt to happy about this but my Neuro Dr. prescribed them again and wasnt happy to know that I just took myself off the meds a year ago on my own. I guess I need to just take the meds so I can feel better and accept the fact that I need them right now.  I do know that I dont want to feel horribke anymore or get as bad as I was two years ago.  I have to learn to live with this disorder and know I will have my ups and downs but that I will be ok.  Thanks again.....
Bookmark and Share

Tags: