Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Obsessions and phobias  (Read 130 times)

Offline higha123

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Obsessions and phobias
« on: January 14, 2014, 06:36:55 PM »
Does anyone feel overwhelmed with life every day. ...I am afraid of adult responsibilities, afraid of dying, afraid of going to sleep for fear of not waking up. ..my fear paralyzes me and I can't live life. When I go out I am always afraid someone can hit me and I die or just thoughts like that. ..when i see others who died i also take it personal and obsess about it...other times I feel fine but then some times I feel an overwhelming fear come over me and stops me in my tracks....I have these thoughts several times a day.  I feel like I am existing and not living. ..fearful and afraid of every thing. ..what do you call this.  Can meds help with this or cbt?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 163
    • Poke This Member
Re: Obsessions and phobias
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 06:40:40 AM »
In twenty years time would you rather look back and say ' I wasted all that time worrying about death that I forgot to live my life '? Or would you rather say ' I gave it my best shot '? Death is the greatest mystery of life. Why? Because we all wonder what happens next. After death. But it happens. Nothing we can do when it does happen. But I would rather get out there and give it my best and be able to say I done so. Rather than look back and know I wasted my life worrying about death. Nobody knows when they will die. Could be an hour from now. Could be 50 years. Enjoy it whilst you can. Rather than worry about it now. Make the most of life. We came from nothing. We will probably be going back to nothing. What have we lost? Nothing.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 21
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 12:26:17 PM »
Hi Higha...

I just went through a very severe case of anxiety, panic attacks, and depression with intrusive/negative thoughts.  There were days when I felt overwhelmed by the slightest responsibility.  Just seeing a single, dirty fork in the kitchen sink could put me over the edge.  For whatever reason, death doesn't seem to bother me.  Part of that might be the fact that I'm 60 years old, and feel like I have already led a full life (not that I don't hope for a few more years before my time).

There is much that you can do to alleviate your fears.  Medication and cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) can most certainly help.  I was started on a new anti-depressant, Celexa, some 6-7 weeks ago, and I am doing so much better.  I am also scheduled to begin CBT in the next two weeks.  I'm looking forward to doing that.  I understand that CBT can be just as effective as medication, for many people.

It's not easy to do, but set a course, and then take action.  You may consider seeing a psychiatrist.  I have one, and she is in charge of my mental health care.  She has provided me with a diagnosis, can prescribe medication, and has given me a treatment plan.  Seeing a therapist is also beneficial.  They can teach you CBT, how to deal with your fears.

The very best to you, Higha!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline robicinco

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 05:35:33 PM »
I also feel like it is all too much at times!  On the flip side I like to then think about the good things that are around me to try and create some balance. I also try to really think about the truth of the matter is that the anxiety, fear, sadness, or whatever is seeming to over take you is just an emotion or feeling that will pass. I like to label it and try to remain calm (easier said than done) and watch it pass. Sometimes we get so wrapped up in the anxiety that we forget to be grateful for what is right there in front of us, like the air that we can breathe.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: