Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: So afraid of getting H1N1. I don't want to go to school anymore.  (Read 201 times)

Offline gibzster

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I live in Louisiana. A little 3rd grader who went to a school less than 5 miles away from where I live just died from H1N1. She had no serious health problems prior to her getting the virus. I am so scared. I go to a high school that has 1800 people at it. At least 1 of these 1800 people probably have a sibling that goes to that elementary school right down the road.   The odds of at least 1 person who goes to my school now having this virus are pretty high. I AM TURNING INTO AN ANTIVIRUS FREAK. I AM ABSOLUTELY TERRIFIED OF GETTING THIS.
\The little girl . . . she died SO fast. It is so sad.  One day she was feeling a little sick, and the next day she died.

I am seriously contemplating wearing a face mask and plastic gloves to school from now on. If I could just opt out of school until the flu season is over, I would.
Bookmark and Share

Offline gibzster

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: So afraid of getting H1N1. I don't want to go to school anymore.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 05:50:20 PM »
My anxiety is already beginning to create symptoms.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kiwiman

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 06:03:49 PM »
Younger childen sadly have don't have strong immatune systems like older ones and teachers are very cautious about safety of students
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jen0721

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 08:40:08 PM »
I'm sorry this is causing you so much stress. 

My husband and I had h1n1 four years ago.  For both of us, it started with a pretty horrible headache.  His symptoms began before mine, and I was able to lessen the affects by getting a prescription of tamiflu right when my symptoms started.  Thus, I avoided the fever and days of body aches he had.  Overall, while we didn't feel well, we were fine after a few days.

With that said, I believe the odds of you getting ill are slim.  Those who are at risk of complication are under the age of 5, over the age of 65, and pregnant women.  (It doesn't sound like this is you).   Be sure to wash your hands regularly, do not share food, etc. with classmates, get a good amount of rest and excercise.  If you find that you are spiking a fever, call your doctor and ask what he or she suggest you do to take care of yourself. 

Best of luck :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline kazoo

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 08:53:52 PM »
You can still get vaccinated.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lara71

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 11:45:32 PM »
I live in NYC which had a nasty outbreak in a high school of h1n1. No one died. Unfortunately the little girl was a fluke but she was the exception not the rule.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: