Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: PLS HELP. BREAST LUMP FEAR  (Read 262 times)

Offline anx247

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
PLS HELP. BREAST LUMP FEAR
« on: January 14, 2014, 04:38:04 PM »
I'm back. UGH! Last year for the first time in my life I battled with anxiety, and I won... or so I thought. My anxiety is back and although not as debilitating as it previously was I am terrified. This time I feel my concerns are legit. A week ago I found a lump underneath and to the side of my nipple. A firm, not very mobile round lump. Of course my mind goes to cancer. (My cousin passed away of bone cancer at the age of 19 and my therapist believes this is where my fears stem from) Anyway, I saw my GP who briefly felt it and said it felt round and not hard and said she didn't think it was anything but said that every lump needs to be investigated. She referred me to a breast health clinic and my appointment is on Thursday. I have been worried SICK ever since, and have been googling like nobody's business and of course, I now am convinced I have a malignant tumor. I am only 30 and have a 4 year old son and 2 year old daughter. I breastfed them both for a total of 3.5 years straight and stopped about 10 months ago. I am Hispanic and the only family history of BC is my mom's aunt who got it when she was almost 50. Anyway I know these are all positives and that the odds are in my favor. My rational mind tells me it is most likely something else, but my anxiety is obsessed with the thought that I feel the lump is quite firm, and not very moveable and therefor it has to be cancer. I have envisioned the worst case scenario, cancer, dying, leaving my children. I am going crazy and these aweful dooming thoughts are taking over. Can anyone who can relate and have a positive outcome please provide some reassurance? Anyone???
Thank you for reading <3
Bookmark and Share

Offline colls22

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: PLS HELP. BREAST LUMP FEAR
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 07:50:55 PM »
I totally understand. I was in the same position I'm September. They really do investigate every lump.

You say it's hard, your doctor said it wasn't, right? Go by her opinion on that. As well, smooth is a very good thing. I still remember my GP from when I was a teenager using the reference of the lump feeling rough, as if it were covered in gravel. I've always held on to that, and as a general rule, it seems to be accurate. Also, a regular, round shape is a positive.

So, bottom line, I think you're fine. But I do get how nerve wracking it is while waiting for the test. You've only got one more day!

Let us know how it goes.
Bookmark and Share

Online ceh1354

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 08:15:39 PM »
The vast majority of lumps and bumps are cysts and benign.
It would be laughable to tell you not to worry. I know just how you feel, and being anxious is normal, even for someone without HA.
Colls is right, at least the appointment is soon and you'll be getting it over with! Try to keep as relaxed as possible, stay positive, and it's overwhelmingly in your favore that you'll be fine!!
Let us know! :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline anx247

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 12:18:08 AM »
Thank you ladies. Yes overwhelmingly in my favour. I will be seen on Thursday but if further investigations need to be done, it will be more of a waiting game. I am dreading that this will be the case! Please keep me in your prayers and thoughts! Thanks :)
Hazel
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sweetpea8

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 12:22:04 AM »
I had this same thing about a year and a half ago and was terrified, as you are. It started my panic into full swing again. It turned out to be nothing. Best advice is to stop googling. All of my doctors have told me the worst stories are on the internet. I know this does little to ease your mind, but do try to relax. Let us know how it turns out.
Bookmark and Share

Online ceh1354

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 12:25:02 AM »
That is so true, Sweetpea! You don't hear the stories like yours, where all is fine, mainly because the majority of them turn out that way, and they don't SCARE people!! Ugh.
Will be praying for you, Hazel!
Bookmark and Share