Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Brain tumour anxiety ?! Help please?  (Read 1066 times)

Offline hayter

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Re: Brain tumour anxiety ?! Help please?
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 08:47:37 AM »
Yeah iv been on Beta Blockers. But i was at the lowest point with my anxiety. I didnt really feel much difference on them. They are ment to calm you down and stop you from getting worked up. The best thing that worked for me was the Citalopram.

They may take a bit of time to kick in too
Bookmark and Share

Offline kayleigh

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 03:18:47 PM »
No £200 is really good for an MRI, I thought that I would be looking at £300 - £400 minimum. I got put on citalopram in 2011 when I first had this, then after I got my CT results I felt ok, so I'm not sure if it was just a coincidence or because I was happy with the results but then of just over a year later the symptoms came back while I was still on the citalopram but the doctor made me come off them last summer which i'm sure didn't help matters. I think I'm going to ask if I can go on some anti anxiety meds again cos even if they don't take away whatever is wrong with me at least i might be able to have a break from all these thought and worries going round in my head.
I just don't understand why this past week has got worse and what is causing the dizziness. In my mind I'm thinking that the dizziness must be another symptom of having a tumour  :(
x x x
Bookmark and Share

Offline kayleigh

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2014, 03:20:37 PM »
hi deje and perc, thanks for your posts :) did your symptoms go away gradually deje or did you just literally wake up one morning and it was gone?
I don't have much experience with beta blockers i'm afraid perc, to be honest I'm not really sure what they are
x x x
Bookmark and Share

Offline Venomsoar

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2014, 04:10:31 PM »
Of course none of us can diagnose you. But brain tumours are relatively rare. Going to a doctor won't help with your anxiety. It will temporarily ease it - but in the long run, repeatedly going to your doctor will not help anxiety but in some cases it may just make you even more stressed. You ask anyone here, and you have actually confessed to this yourself, but you know that temporary ease is… well, it's just that - it's "temporary" i.e. it doesn't last long. So it should be of no surprise that your anxiety comes right back soon after being reassured. This is why you need to deal with the cause of the problem rather than with the symptoms of the problem.

First of all, I will speak about my current situation: tingling and headaches are common symptoms of anxiety. Especially headaches. I suffer from headaches which usually last for a week at a time. Right now I am suffering from headaches. Whenever I do something that requires a little concentration, my headache slowly builds up and up - in the temples and forehead that is. Tingling sensations is a symptom that I can actually provoke. I just have to think about tingling sensations in my face and then they appear. It is the same for most of my anxiety symptoms now because I learn what my symptoms are. I also get numbing sensations. Whenever I think of the sensations, they come. Whenever I don't think of them, they are not there.

Now, my advice for you to control your anxiety is as follows: the best way to overcome anxiety is to learn your symptoms. To do this, I recommend you keep a log/diary of your symptoms. You need to write down your worrying thoughts and the symptoms you are currently feeling with those thoughts. It's also a good idea to rate your anxiety level from 1-10. Keep doing this for at least 2-3 months. After you do this, you will be able to go and look back through your log and learn the patterns. When you can pick up on certain patters, you will start to learn how your body reacts to anxiety - i.e. you will learn what your symptoms of anxiety are. At any time though, new anxiety symptoms may appear and this may make you anxious. That hardest thing is when new anxiety symptoms come. Its best to have a method of learning your symptoms. I usually take medication but if it doesn't work, that's an indicator for me that the symptom is caused by anxiety. I also try and concentrate on when the symptoms both appear and how severe they are at the time.

If my symptoms are exhibiting themselves more when I think about them, once again, this is another indicator that it is more likely anxiety. If, and when my symptoms stop when I am not thinking about them, at this point, I am pretty confident it is my anxiety that is causing them. But learning this alone, doesn't help prevent the symptoms. I just learn how to control them. And more importantly, I often use other anxiety symptoms as a cue in figuring out whether other symptoms are due to my anxiety. That is to say, if I am experiencing a new symptom and I don't know if it is anxiety related, I will often see if other anxiety symptoms are present. So for example, I know that the numbing sensations in my face is definitely an anxiety symptom. If I experience a new symptom, lets say abdominal pain, if during the abdominal pain, I am also experiencing the numbing sensations in my face, i.e. the two symptoms are in correlation with each other, this is also another indicator that the abdominal pain is also caused by anxiety.

But understand that I am speaking about my own experience - for everyone else it may be completely different. You may not experience anxiety in this way. I am only using my own example for guidance for you. Sometimes I will feel abdominal pain without numbing sensations and sometimes I may feel the numbing sensations without abdominal pain. It which case I will use my other methods of discerning what is anxiety related and what may be due to an actual physical problem.

To finish, brain tumours often exhibit themselves when the tumour has grown quite large but this also depends on its location. Due to this fact, headaches and tingling sensations may be the only symptoms from a tumour but it is more likely that you will experience other symptoms such as seizures, dizziness, eye/vision problems, cognition problems, problems with movements, hearing problems, etc. depending upon its location. But seizures, dizziness, eye problems, headaches are symptoms of ALL kind of brain tumours (this is because these symptoms are due to intracranial pressure).

I am no doctor though. This information is from what I have learned with reading and hearing out others who have either suffered from brain tumours or have had family members who have suffered. But never take my word. You need to learn your body yourself.

More importantly, don't let the problem worry you too much. This is the most important thing to remember. Even if you was actually suffering from a physical problem, letting your anxiety overcome you is the last thing you would want. We are all here for you to give you advice and help you along the way. But it ultimately lies within your own thoughts. And you can do it. You can beat it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kayleigh

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2014, 04:50:47 PM »
Thank you venomsoar for your lovely and in depth post :)
I just have convinced myself that it is a brain tumour and nothing anyone says seems to get that thought out of my mind as the symptoms just don't seem to be going away. I have noticed though that if I'm worried about something else I don't notice them but it isn't for long, I can't remember if I said but before christmas I had a sickness bug and the whole day I was headache / tingling free as I was too worried about my stomach!
The doctor I am sure just seems to have written me off as crazy now though and seems unwilling to help me, last time all she said was ''try relaxation techniques'' without actually telling me any!
x x x
Bookmark and Share

Offline Venomsoar

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2014, 05:14:02 PM »
I worry that my headaches is a brain tumour. We all have the thoughts that we have something sinister - this is something that we have to deal with. I think this is the mistake all of us often make. We think that we have to eliminate the thoughts in order to eliminate the symptoms. This is a black and white way of thinking. The point is that we all have the worries; it's all about trying to control the worries so that they don't take over completely. The goal is to try and control your worry.

The same is for the physical symptoms. At no point do my symptoms "disappear" which is what I put my hopes into. I thought that if I stop worrying, my symptoms will also stop. But they don't. You have to control the symptoms. You have to prevent them from escalating out of control.

I often fear about having oral cancer, skin cancer or a brain tumour. These are the top 3 most worries I have. This is because I get headaches, I have scary looking moles on my body and I often feel burning sensations in my mouth (I am pretty sure the burning sensations are anxiety related). There is never a point when I don't worry about them. I just control those worries. I try not get into a vicious circle of worrying about symptoms which will make them worse; and now that they are getting worse, I will worry more and the cycle repeats. The goal is to prevent these vicious cycles.

I often too fear that my doctors don't take me seriously. It is common for all of us. But you have to trust the doc. If not, try another. But like I previously said, repeatedly seeking reassurance from doctors only makes your anxiety worse. Doctors go through years of training and study. If you cannot trust the doctors, you won't ever be able to overcome your anxiety.

But you CAN overcome it. You have been told by the doctors you are fine. You have had tests which show you are fine. The problem is not that you may have a brain tumour - the problem is with your anxiety.

You could of asked your doctor for relaxing techniques. It will most likely always be breathing techniques though (that's the advice doctors give me). It may be worth your time to go to the doctor to speak directly about your anxiety. Ask the doctor for ways of overcoming the anxiety or ways of controlling it. But you have to be open to the advice. It appears to me as though you are not willing to hear out what the doctors have got to say - because you are convinced you have a serious problem. But you have to be open to the advice and accept that your anxiety is the problem.

And like I said, my symptoms never go away. Don't worry about your symptoms not going. Because this inevitably makes them worse. You need to start thinking about learning about the symptoms and therefore learning how to control them. The keyword is "control" rather than "eliminate".

The reason why nothing that anyone says helps your symptoms is because anxiety hides in your thoughts. We cannot change the way you think. We can only give you advice. It is all down to you; how open you are to the advice etc. you need to give us a chance before dismissing what we have to say and therefore allow your anxious thoughts take over. I know it's hard. It is much harder than I am making it out to be - I know. But you have to trust me.

I believe you can do it. Try and just relax for the moment. And then go seek a doctor for advice to control your anxiety. If you really have to, ask for just one last test. But my advice would be to avoid seeking reassurance and start to try and think of ways to control your anxiety.

Sorry for the huge walls of text lol. I just really want to help you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kayleigh

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2014, 04:08:17 AM »
Thank you venomsoar :)
I had a bad night last night, I woke up after 3 hours sleep with my head really hurting and the tingling being quite bad, which caused me to panic.
I'm going to the doctor today, I just want to feel as though they have done every possible test before I can just put it down to anxiety.. I just don't understand how anxiety can give me such bad one sided headaches? Do you think if it was a brain tumour the CT scan in 2011 would have shown something?
x x x
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dje

• Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2014, 01:13:07 AM »
hi deje and perc, thanks for your posts :) did your symptoms go away gradually deje or did you just literally wake up one morning and it was gone?
I don't have much experience with beta blockers i'm afraid perc, to be honest I'm not really sure what they are
x x x

I'm not exactly sure, but I think the headache ending was sudden. Maybe not waking in the morning and it was gone. but close. I remember after I started fishing again questioning if I was in pain or not. Not being in pain felt weird because for 13 months having a headache was my normal.

One thing that stands out and is why later I started thinking that this was psychosomatic was on the day that I went to get the spinal tap. That day I felt horrible - headache, upset stomach, really scared. The moment the neurologist told me the fluid was clear and that I didn't have meningitis this feel good sensation came over me. Instant relief. I actually physically felt better. My head didn't hurt as bad. Months later I reflected on that and it really helped me get over the headache.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Venomsoar

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2014, 10:43:54 PM »
Thank you venomsoar :)
I had a bad night last night, I woke up after 3 hours sleep with my head really hurting and the tingling being quite bad, which caused me to panic.
I'm going to the doctor today, I just want to feel as though they have done every possible test before I can just put it down to anxiety.. I just don't understand how anxiety can give me such bad one sided headaches? Do you think if it was a brain tumour the CT scan in 2011 would have shown something?
x x x

How was your doctors appointment?

The speed at which a brain tumour grows depends on the grade. And also, you shouldn't rely on having to go through every possible test in order to finally conclude it is anxiety. You have to deal with the fact that we can't have very possible test every time we get symptoms in order to rule out every other condition. This would use up a great amount of money.

And anxiety can almost exhibit itself in every way imaginable. I was having the same thoughts with the numb/tingling sensations on my head and face. It's the same with my chest pains.

With anxiety symptoms, the more you think about it, you don't have to necessarily be worried or feel anxious, so long as you are thinking about the symptoms, they can still persist. With my numb/tingling sensations on my head and face, I don't worry about it at all. But it still persists every single day. My eye twitch had been persisting for 6 months and it is only just recently that this symptom has been suspended. I was only worrying about the eye twitch for the first month. The next five months it became apart of my everyday living. It didn't bother me at all. I never worried about others seeing it. And it is only just now that it has gone.

But anyway, keep me updated on how you feel.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kayleigh

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2014, 10:38:01 AM »
Hi Venomsoar,
How are you? Sorry I haven't been online for a while, I was in Cyprus all of last week visiting family and the week before that I stayed at my parents house where the internet connection isn't great.
Anyway, I saw a different doctor to the one that I usually see and he took me seriously. He basically said that the fact that I have no sign of pressure behind my eyes and that I had a normal result CT scan 2 years ago is promising but that we still need to get to the bottom of what is causing my headaches / tingling etc. So he has reffered me to a headache clinic/neurologist at the hospital and I should have a date by the end of the month. I asked him if I could have anything for the anxiety while I am waiting and he said that the amitriptyline I am already taking should have a calming effect (?) so to carry on taking that and the best way to help my anxiety is to get to the bottom of what is wrong with me.
I am quite bad at the moment, very dizzy all the time, headache at the right side 24/7, numb/tingly foot and leg, nausea, I have lost weight.. and I spoke to my friend whos mum had a brain tumour on Friday night and she had similar symptoms to me, headache and her foot hurt on the opposite side to where the tumour was.. so now my anxiety is through the roof. I am constatly in a state of panic.. its not nice!
x x x
Bookmark and Share

Offline Venomsoar

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2014, 01:50:49 PM »
Hi. I Am ok thanks. I am just trying to think of ways to deal with my social anxiety (I also suffer from social anxiety as well).

It is good that your doctor is taking it seriously. If there was no pressure behind your eyes, this is a good sign. You should hold onto this to calm you. Also, all of the symptoms you are feeling and describing to me are anxiety symptoms as well. Rather than catastrophizing, you should think about what is more likely the problem - such as anxiety as being the cause (which I know is easier said than done).

Talking to other people who either had a brain tumour, or know someone who had a brain tumour is definitely not going to help. I would suggest avoiding talking about these topics because you are only making yourself worse. If you want to help yourself, then you should try and focus on positive things. Try and take your mind off your symptoms. Try take up a new hobby for example. Or focus on your current hobbies. Set yourself goals and spend your time and thoughts into achieving them (no matter how little they are or whether you actually achieve them is irrelevant - you just want to try and keep your mind active).
Bookmark and Share

Offline kayleigh

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2014, 02:22:23 PM »
Do you think seen as the CT scan was clear 2 years ago I probably don't have a brain tumour? Or do you think it could have got bigger since then or they missed something?
Yeah both the doctor and the opticion said that behind my eyes seem fine, but I just think to myself well that doesn't mean anything, that isn't giving me an MRI scan!
I'm having a bad week this week, feeling very sick, and the dizziness is back so bad I've had to sit down a couple of times and the headache is waking me up in the night its been that bad :( I just feel like I am in a constant state of panicking, the worst I have felt in a long time.
And of course I have been googling brain tumours, and none of my symptoms seem to match anything BUT brain tumour.
I can't think of anything to do to take my mind of it and when I try I get dizzy or the headache or feel sick so it constantly reminds me :(
everyone is getting really sick of me, I'm just repeating myself but I aren't getting any answers apart from the ones I am giving myself which is that it is a brain tumour
x x x
Bookmark and Share

Offline Venomsoar

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2014, 03:32:22 PM »
Do you think seen as the CT scan was clear 2 years ago I probably don't have a brain tumour? Or do you think it could have got bigger since then or they missed something?

Firstly, I don't think the doctors missed anything - it is possible but extremely unlikely. There is a lot of time for the tumour to grow in two years but this is an irrational thought. If we look at this objectively and rationally, we would have to accept the extremely unlikely chances that you had grown a tumour right after having a CT scan. Again, this is possible but extremely unlikely. Also, the pressure behind your eyes is fine. Meaning IF you had a tumour, it is not big enough to cause pressure - but even the smallest tumour can increase the pressure. You shouldn't dwell on the small possibilities otherwise you will never stop worrying.

Yeah both the doctor and the opticion said that behind my eyes seem fine, but I just think to myself well that doesn't mean anything, that isn't giving me an MRI scan!

You cannot have every single possible test every time you think you have something seriously wrong with you. This will waste a lot of money and you have to remember that you don't have to have every possible test in order for the doctors to detect something (that is what they are trained to do remember). If you had a brain tumour, the doctors would be able to pick this up without having to do every single test.

I'm having a bad week this week, feeling very sick, and the dizziness is back so bad I've had to sit down a couple of times and the headache is waking me up in the night its been that bad :( I just feel like I am in a constant state of panicking, the worst I have felt in a long time.

You have just told me that you are constantly in a panicked state so no wonder you feel this bad. If you are constantly worrying about it, you will inevitably have symptoms (and severe ones). I know it is hard and you feel you only have perhaps months to live - but you can get through this. I am putting my bets on that it is anxiety that is causing these symptoms. You need to try and calm yourself down. I promise it will get better if you can keep calm. You need to try and think more rationally.

And of course I have been googling brain tumours, and none of my symptoms seem to match anything BUT brain tumour.

Incorrect. Believe me, every symptom you have, I have also had. And a lot of others have also had these same symptoms as you. And it was all anxiety related. I get headaches a lot of the time. Even times when I don't feel anxious, my headaches will come for no apparent reason. And googling symptoms has no positive outcome. Literally, there is nothing at all to gain from googling your symptoms. Refrain from googling any symptoms. All your symptoms CAN be put down to anxiety - and they are most likely caused by your anxiety - not a brain tumour.

I can't think of anything to do to take my mind of it and when I try I get dizzy or the headache or feel sick so it constantly reminds me :(
everyone is getting really sick of me, I'm just repeating myself but I aren't getting any answers apart from the ones I am giving myself which is that it is a brain tumour
x x x

I can think of things you can do: take up a new hobby; carry on with an existing one; think of steps you can take to overcome your health anxiety (NOT GOOGLING IS ONE STEP); do something creative! Got a sharpie lying around? Look up zentangle (they are easy and are excellent for stress relief). Your last statement demonstrates your anxiety - and NOT a brain tumour. You are worrying. Therefore you are having anxiety symptoms.

Like I said, you can overcome this but you have to try (I know it is hard but you can do it).
Bookmark and Share

Offline Venomsoar

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2014, 03:40:23 PM »
Just a few questions to ask: are your symptoms there in the morning as soon as you wake up? Does the severity of them change from time to time? If so, describe the pattern. Lastly, do your symptoms change in anyway? Like do your current symptoms move or do they sometimes go and other ones come? Or are all your symptoms exhibit themselves at the same time together? Be specific when you describe these symptoms to me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kayleigh

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2014, 07:21:04 PM »
Just a few questions to ask: are your symptoms there in the morning as soon as you wake up? Does the severity of them change from time to time? If so, describe the pattern. Lastly, do your symptoms change in anyway? Like do your current symptoms move or do they sometimes go and other ones come? Or are all your symptoms exhibit themselves at the same time together? Be specific when you describe these symptoms to me.

Thank you for breaking that down and describing all the to me, I appreciate it.
Yes, my symptoms never used to be there in a morning as soon as I woke up but they are now. And the headache has been waking me up in the night lately. The headache is there (sometimes worse but not always) as soon as I open my eyes in the morning, along with feeling sick sometimes.
The headache is always there on the right side, sometimes worse than others but not to any set pattern, and the tingling in my left foot and leg is always there. The dizziness only started just after christmas and seems to always be there, worse at some times than others. I just think cos the headache is on my right side and the tingling etc is on my left it must be a tumour on the right hand side of my brain seen as the right side controls the left side of my body.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: