Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Brain tumour anxiety ?! Help please?  (Read 1042 times)

Offline kayleigh

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Brain tumour anxiety ?! Help please?
« on: January 13, 2014, 05:02:13 PM »
Hi all, new member here!
I have high anxiety and in the past few years I have been to the doctor saying I have ovarian cancer, bone cancer, appendicitis.. And now a brain tumour.
I had a ct scan without contrast in 2011 due to headaches and tingling for 3 months that came back normal. They went away for about a year and then came back last feb & have been constant ever since. I woke up with right sided headache every day and have it all day every day and the tingling in my foot on the left is also constant and this past week I have been very dizzy. I'm so stressed about this I feel sick all the time and can't eat. Had my eyes tested today and she said everything looks normal. Docs won't send me for another scan and have given me amitriptyline. I'm so scared.. how likely is this to be a brain tumour? Or has anyone had any similar symptoms?
Kayleigh
X x x
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiouskathie

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 209
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Brain tumour anxiety ?! Help please?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 08:36:40 PM »
Welcome to the forum!!!

Sounds to me like you are suffering from some tension headaches, maybe even migraines, but I really don't think you have a brain tumor! Seems like you've had everything tested that would need to be tested for a brain tumor and it's all negative.  Try your amitriptyline and see how that helps!!  I know anxiety can cause some awful tension headaches and also dizziness and tingling!  Try a bit of distraction of some sort and see if maybe the symptoms let up for you.  Good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline kaycass14

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 11:22:52 PM »
It sounds exactly like anxiety. I get headaches on 1 side of my head as well. I also have a ridge that sticks out a bit than the rest of my skull and I touch it constantly actually CAUSING headaches for myself and then I panic that I too have a tumour. I've had my eyes tested, had neuros, ER staff, even my dentist tell me I am fine- and yet, I still worry. When I being to panic, the WHOLE left side of my body goes tingly & numb. Then I jump to "Stroke" :p Haha. Could just be how your body responds to anxiety :) If you've had a scan, you have even more reassurance. :) Another thing to look at is possibly a chiropractor? Your neck might be "out" causing tension/muscle strain and it could be pinching a nerve causing the numb & tingle :) Hope this helps and know you aren't alone! :)

Love & Light! <3
Bookmark and Share
Love & Light <3

Offline kayleigh

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 03:56:59 PM »
Thanks Kathie :) I've been taking this amitriptyline since October so I think I'm going to ask the doc for some other meds - do you think I should ask for another scan seen as the last one was 2 years ago? My anxiety is thinking what if the CT scan didn't pick it up or what if they missed it.. Or it's got bigger since 2011!
Kay - do you think it migh just be coincidence that the headache his on the right and the tingling is my left? The tingling is pretty much constant. The only time I noticed it gone is when I had a vomiting virus before Xmas and I was sooo worried about being sick again i realized my foot hadnt tingeld all that day lol!! But of course the next day when I was feeling better it came back 10x worse. I have been able to get on with life but this past week it's been so much worse and I've been so worried about the dizziness I now have to I literally feel like I am going to be sick all the time I can't face food :( I literally haven't had a proper meal in about a week, it turns my stomach.
So do you guys reckon this is anxiety rather than a brain tumour? I've had tingly left foot and the headache for a year straight :(
Lots of love to you all
X x x
Bookmark and Share

Offline hayter

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 05:40:34 PM »
I have had the brain tumour fear too! Ended up with an MRI and still wasn't convinced! I deff think its anxiety not eating properly for a week shows how much anxiety has a hold  if you at the moment! Therefore it can bring on many symptoms

If you had something the ct scan didn't pick up in 2011 it wouldn't of got better and would be a lot worse and you would have a lot of other symptoms by now.

Relax, get some food and stay hydrated!
Bookmark and Share

Offline kayleigh

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 06:13:52 PM »
It's awful isn't it hayter?! I want an MRI but dr says I don't need one and they can't afford to keep sending me for scans "just to reassure me" my poor boyfriend has even offered to take out a loan to pay for a scan as he's so sick of seeing me like this!!
I worry that the fact I can't eat is due to brain tumour rather than anxiety as of course I've read it's a symptom! It's a horrible vicious circle :(
That's true though, I suppose it wouldn't have got better for a year and then have come back and my only other new symptom (dizziness) only started last week. Thanks hayter x x x
Bookmark and Share

Offline hayter

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 06:31:17 PM »
I had to go private for my MRI - my doctor wouldn't even send me for a ct scan. My MRI found something that coincidental and was nothing to worry about and I would never of known about it - but I then latched onto that and figured I needed another MRI scan with contrast. It never ends.

Not eating is deff anxiety I lost so much weight the first tine round and would how days with no food!

It's nice you have someone who is so supportive :-)
Bookmark and Share

Offline kayleigh

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 06:42:25 PM »
Are you in the UK hayter? If so did you have to get a referral from your GP to have a private scan?
I know what you mean, it reassures you for so long but then it soon comes back :(
I'm glad it's not just me, I literally don't feel hungry at all!
Yeah I am lucky in that sense :) how did you get over your brain tumour fear? 
X x x
Bookmark and Share

Offline hayter

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 07:01:39 PM »
Yeah I am in the UK. I asked my doctor to refer me to a private neurologist. He did as it was my money to waste - his words.

After lots of other tests after the MRI there was nothing else they could do. I just had to accept it. I soon moved onto something else.

My main symptom was tingling on the right side of my face. Which I still get to this day - but no where hear as bad.

After seeing a ent they put it down to a deviated septum. That was nearly 6 years ago.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kayleigh

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 03:18:12 AM »
Oh really? How much was it to see the neurologist and for the MRI if you don't mind me asking? Is that the only scan you had or had you already have a ct scan on the NHS like I have?
I'm at the doctors on Friday so I'm just working out what I am going to ask for.
If it was only tingling I think I would worry less but cos I have this headache and dizziness all the time too it's really scaring me :(
X x x
Bookmark and Share

Offline hayter

• Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 06:16:45 AM »
The neurologist was a couple hundred and so was the MRI - The Neurologist was in Bristol and the MRI was done some where near Bristol.

That was the only scan i had and didnt have anything on the NHS as my Doctor was so rightly sure it was anxiety.

I had other symptoms but the tingling was the my main issue. it really irritated me.

I know how you feel even though everything points to anxiety its hard to accept that it is. Im going through the same thing now and no matter what unless i get a test to prove its nothing serious i will be constantly worrying and probably bringing it on more.

If i was you i would really try not get the MRI otherwise its gets very expensive very fast and the next time your HA appears you will need more testing. When my HA returned a couple years later i had a scan on my leg which was fine. But i was convinced they missed something and had to go private again to get my 2nd scan.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kayleigh

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 07:36:11 AM »
I know what you mean it's kind of similar to what my doctor said, it was something similar to "we can't afford to send you for a scan every couple of years just to put your mind at ease" and explained it would be a vicious circle of needing to have a scan all the time to reassure myself every time I have something wrong, as I thought I had ovarian cancer and they sent me for a scan then.
Are you from near Bristol? I'm up in yorkshire but my boyfriend is from Bristol, I don't know where I would go if I did ask to go private.
I just don't know how to break this cycle so I can tell whether these symptoms are real or if I am making them worse :(
X x x
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dje

• Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 07:37:24 AM »
Years ago I woke up with a really bad headache, which ended up lasting 13 months, like fingers pressing hard into my temple. Going to a neurologist was terrifying. CT scan, spinal tap, blood/urine work. I was a mess...couldn't sleep, couldn't eat, laid in bed for days. All the tests came back negative fortunately, but the headache persisted.

Eventually the stress from dealing with constant pain resulted in anxiety and depression. After 5 months in pain my mom convinced me to go to the chiropractor she was seeing for sciatica. While I didn't really benefit from the treatment, getting out of the house, being around caring people and others in pain helped. I no longer felt alone. One other benefit was taking their advice to improve my diet. I cut out fast food, which wasn't hard since I didn't eat it that often, and started eating a lot more vegetables and salads. Also fish, olive oil, garlic. I stopped eating red meat. It gave me a sense of control, that I was doing something positive, healthy.

I began taking walks and tried not isolate myself from others. Tried not to be in my head all the time with all the negative thoughts, which is easier said than done. Started thinking more positive.

Finally after 13 months the headache went away. One of the hardest years of my life, but I got through it. You can too.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hayter

• Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 08:15:16 AM »
Yeah im about an hour away from Bristol.

I cant remember the exact places of either of Neruo or mri but i found them all on google. The MRI was only 200 which was really cheap compared to others.

I know what you mean about breaking the cycle. Its all that goes around in our heads. I know some people dont like them but when i get like i go on a short low dose of citalapram as well start going for runs etc. Its suprising how much these help just take your mind off things and relax a little. Once you have done this you wont be fixed on your symptoms all of the time.
Bookmark and Share

Offline perc19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 08:23:46 AM »
You really are not alone.

I have had brain tumour or serious brain health concerns since end of august and it is driving me insane. I have had stabbing pains on right side, tension/pressure headaches all over, head zap things, nausea and now almost like a headrush buzzy, fuzzy feeling when I then felt dizzy and yucky. I have been to see now 5 different doctors, had acupuncture, tried amitryptine, not had an MRI or anything, blood pressure is fine, heart is fine all of them have said it is anxiety!!!!!!!!! Do I stillk believe them not sure? Why do I get this awful feeling in my head???

Anyway now been given beta blockers to take one a day for 2 weeks, go back and start CBT therapy.

Now really scared about beta blockers? Will they work or am I going to feel even worse with more problems???? Who knows, took 1st one lst night, rubbish nights sleep, not sure how I felt.

Anyone else had a positive experience with beta blockers?? Will it stop my 'anxiety' symptoms????

Bookmark and Share

Tags: