Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Paranoid about having breathed gasoline fumes  (Read 174 times)

Offline matt1990

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Paranoid about having breathed gasoline fumes
« on: January 13, 2014, 02:36:28 PM »
I was doing some repairs on my vehicle yesterday including removing and draining the gas tank, replacing the fuel pump, fuel lines and fuel filter. While having the fuel lines disconnected from the gas tank there were strong fumes coming out as I was leaning over it replacing the fuel pump, lines and filter with my head very close to these fumes for a few hours. I was too preoccupied to realize the strong fumes until I began to feel dizzy and had irritation in my nose. All last night I was dizzy, jittery and irritable. I stayed up to 3:30am reading on google about gasoline exposure as I worry something bad happening to me from toxic fumes. Today I feel spaced out, cant concentrate and have trouble remembering much about yesterday. I am not sure if this is just because of me hyperventilating and being paranoid. I know auto mechanics repair fuel systems every day and are inevitably exposed to gasoline fumes. Somehow my anxiety convinces me this situation was unique and will cause damage. What long term effects will I have from this?
Bookmark and Share

Offline JunoX

• No One Rules If No One Obeys
  • Rec's: 17
  • Mood: Grumpy
    Grumpy
  • Where the mind goes, the body follows.
    • Poke This Member
Re: Paranoid about having breathed gasoline fumes
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 07:06:07 PM »
Mechanics, people who have worked with gasoline, etc have all been exposed to those fumes, sometimes for decades and they are still living. The fumes are bad if you don't have adequate ventilation so being exposed while working on your car is not enough for you to have a reaction to them. I had a car once with a bad fuel tank which was leaking fumes and I didn't know it. I would park it in the garage and I would smell gas but didn't know where it was coming from. It was like that for a few months and neither me nor anyone in my family died or had issues from it. This happened decades ago and we are still here.
Bookmark and Share
The woods are lovely, dark and deep. 
But I have promises to keep, 
And miles to go before I sleep, 
And miles to go before I sleep.
~Robert Frost

Tags: