Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Diabetes fears  (Read 215 times)

Offline Dje

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Diabetes fears
« on: January 13, 2014, 01:26:23 AM »
I've been experiencing some symptoms over the past several months which started with persistent thirst, sometimes being dehydrated, dry lips, then two months ago mild-to-moderate nausea and over the past two weeks my stomach is tensed, knotted, crampy. I had mild diarrhea 3 times early on and then two other times early this year. I'm freaking that I may have diabetes and look at it as a possible death sentence.

The thing is I've experienced waking up thirsty often over the years, even periods when I had persistent thirst throughout the day. At routine physicals my blood work is fine, though. In late 2010 I experienced a period where I felt thirsty. I was dealing with another health issue, which was stressful and concerning, so I went to the doctor for that, but I mentioned to the nurse that I also had been waking up really thirsty, persistent thirst throughout the day, and dry lips going on for several weeks. I hadn't fasted (I had eaten an eggwhite omelet and cereal 1.5-2hrs prior), but she said "let me check go ahead and check your blood sugar levels." So she pricks my finger and tells me my levels are fine, that I don't have diabetes and I don't have to worry. Was she right in saying that? How accurate are finger prick testers? By early 2011 I no longer had the thirsty feeling.

In light of what I'm going through now I fear that I have diabetes and that I may have had it as far back as late 2010. Right before all these symptoms started last year I had been exercising frequently and wasn't experiencing any of these symptoms. Then I injured my foot and was forced to stop exercising. Stress, anxiety got bad and I eventually became depressed. It was then that I started experiencing all these bizarre symptoms.
Bookmark and Share

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Diabetes fears
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 06:21:52 AM »
I think those tests are pretty accurate.  Keep in mind that some med and foods can cause you to feel thirsty a lot as well.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dje

Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 08:41:39 PM »
Currently I'm not taking any medication so that wouldn't be a factor.

I had blood tests last Friday, including fasting glucose, so I'm nervously awaiting the results.

Whenever I heard about diabetes one of the biggest risk factors mentioned is obesity, eating unhealthy. I have a very lean, muscular build. I eat healthy. I do have other risk factor such as not really exercising over the last few years due to injuries/pain, sitting a lot, chronic stress, on/off depressed, unhealthy sleep patterns/at times sleep deprivation. I know of no family history of diabetes. Just before symptoms started I had been exercising 4-5 days a week for 4 months - 3-5 hour long walks per week, light upper/lower body weight training 2 times a week, stretching routine every day. I hurt my foot and significantly cut back on exercise for about a month and then symptoms started.

To make matters worse I was watching some standup comics a couple of nights ago so I could laugh, which I did, and this one comic starts talking about diabetes and that if your urine smells and tastes sweet then you have it. I'm not sure how much truth there is to that. Never heard it before. The next day after urinating I smelled the toilet and it had that familiar offensive, pungent odor. Today, since I was doing my stool collection tests I used a dixie cup to make sure I got no urine on the samples. Out of curiosity I smelled my urine and it had a faint sweet odor. A wave of fear hit me pretty hard and now I am more scared. I grabbed several empty dixie cups to see if they had the faint sweet smell alone, but I couldn't smell it. I'm tempted to try smelling it again later, but I know I will start freaking out if it smells sweet. I don't want to have diabetes.  :sign0171:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lara71

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 08:50:50 PM »
I have a close friend who is a diabetic. It's not a death sentence. He doesn't even need insulin. He controls it with medication and low glycemic diet.

That being said if your blood tests are normal, you'll probably fine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dje

Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 09:08:07 PM »
Thank you for the response Lara.  :sign0092:

I feel rotten and keep reading into the symptoms I have trying to self evaluate, self diagnose. I glom onto a condition, convinced that's what I have and then move onto another. It's a pattern I have repeated over the years. Each time, I think that this is the time that something is actually really wrong. It's a nightmare.
Bookmark and Share

Offline beckernpeeksmom

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 12:16:42 PM »
Hey, I AM Diabetic and prior to being diagnosed I did not have the symptoms you are describing at all.
The finger prick test is very right on and if you had blood testing on top of that at your doctors that will show if you had any high blood glucose for months prior to the test. Diabetics have to have that blood test 2 - 4 times a year depending on your doctors orders. So accept your diagnosis because I'm fairly sure your "symptoms" are not from diabetes. Maybe you are in need of a humidifier for too dry air?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: