Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?
Anxiety Forums & Chat Rooms

I've just started Mirtazapine

Offline generalanxiety

• Personal text
I've just started Mirtazapine
« on: January 12, 2014, 07:04:42 PM »
Hi, I've just started Mirtazapine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

Re: I've just started Mirtazapine
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 06:19:32 AM »
And your question is? Tell us what dose you are on. They can start people off on 15 MG to begin with. Move it up 30 MG after a few weeks. It has various effects on various people. Might make you eat more. It will certainly put you to sleep at night. Some like it. Some don't. But if you have an actual question ask away. Just stating you started a new form of medication is not an actual post.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline generalanxiety

• Personal text
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 04:24:07 PM »
Hi, im on 15mg. I had one last night. It made me sleepy but i didnt fall a sleep for quite a while. Havent felt too bad today.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 04:50:44 PM »
It can be good for sleep as a rule. I am on 30 MG and love it. You may also hear it under its other names. Remeron and Zispin. It depends on the country. Name changes in different countries. Good lot of posts in the medication section of the forum about it. Mainly under the Remeron name.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline generalanxiety

• Personal text
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 05:11:50 PM »
How does it work? Does it repair the brain and then you go off it later? Thanks
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 06:56:23 PM »
Hi GA...

To answer your question, it is not entirely clear how Mirtazapine (Remeron) works, since no other medications work exactly like it.  It is thought that the anti-depressant effects of the drug are due to its actions on serotonin and norepinephrine.  These are chemicals used to send messages between nerves.  If serotonin or norepinephrine levels become unbalanced, it can cause a variety of conditions, including anxiety and depression.  Certain receptors decrease the levels of serotonin and norepinephrine released by the nerves.  Remeron blocks these inhibitory serotonin and norepinephrine receptors, causing more of these chemicals to be released. This may help to relieve the symptoms of anxiety and depression.  Remeron blocks several different kinds of receptors, including serotonin, norepinephrine, histamine, alpha, and muscarinic receptors.

Once started, most psychiatrists/physicians want their patients to be on an anti-depressant for at least a year.  However, for many people, anxiety disorders and depression can be a chronic condition, requiring possible lifelong use of anti-depressants.  Research has shown that individuals that start and stop, start and stop anti-depressants, run the risk of having to be on increased dosages to obtain the same previous effects, or not having the anti-depressant work at all.

Remeron can make many people very sleepy, and therefore should be taken at bedtime.  It can also make one's appetite go through the roof, so weight gain can be a real problem for some.

I hope this helps to answer your questions, GA.  The very best to you!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline generalanxiety

• Personal text
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 07:22:47 PM »
Thanks. I dont plan to be on them long. Are the withdrawal symptoms slight?
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 08:07:24 PM »
You are welcome, GA...

In regards to your question about withdrawal symptoms, anti-depressants should not be stopped "cold turkey", but should be slowly tampered-off to avoid withdrawal symptoms.  When the time comes to discontinue the Remeron, your physician can provide you with schedule to titrate the medication down.  To reduce both the incidence and severity of withdrawal reactions, a conservative rule of thumb is a dosage reduction every month.  For example, it is suggested that one taper off Remeron this way: if you start at 45 mg, reduce down to 30 mg for a full month, down to 15 mg for a full month, down to 7.5 mg for a full month, and finally 0.

Withdrawal symptoms may include headache, anxiety or panic attacks, vertigo, decreased appetite, irritability or agitation, dizziness, sweating, insomnia and tiredness.

Good luck on the Remeron, GA!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline generalanxiety

• Personal text
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 08:35:27 PM »
Im not sure if anti depressants are for me. As ive only had one tablet im going to not take any more and talk with doctor tomorrow about it. I doubt ill get any real withdrawal from one 15mg?
Bookmark and Share