Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: I'm new, scared and my heart worries have taken over my life  (Read 232 times)

Offline dharma91

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I'm new, scared and my heart worries have taken over my life
« on: January 12, 2014, 06:08:01 PM »
Hi I'm new here posting but have read posts before, I'm 22 years old and since I was 11 I have suffered with anxiety and more specifically HA. I also suffer from OCD. I have had SVT episodes since I was this age and was diagnosed with an innocent heart murmur when I was little that they don't think Ihave any more, I've always had HA ranging from worrying myself stupid about brain tumors, blood clots etc and throughout my anxiety my heart has always cropped up mainly because of the SVT episodes (which only happen 1 or twice a year on average & the docs say that its completely harmless just annoying) anyway for the past few years I've fixated on severe heart problems and I'm terrified I'm going to die in my sleep or when I'm relaxing or doing things, I'm too scared to do excercise and my sleep has suffered majorly for the past 6 months. Its been made more scary since my dad died last year and I'm still waiting to find out the cause of his death but thats probably due to the fact he was a severe alcoholic.

I feel like I get palpitations and funny feelings in my chest all the time and have to constantly check my pulse or get others to check it for me, I've had lots of ECGS/Echos & blood tests and I've been to A&E so many times (I feel so ashamed of myself though when they just say its anxiety) I'm awaiting the results for a holter monitor at the moment and I'm due to start therapy on friday but I can't make any plans with friends/family or think happy because I keep thinking something is wrong with me, I'm terrified to say the least and worried that all the docs I've seen are wrong and have missed something, is this likely to happen? would anyone be able to help me because I just can't sleep or think straight lately scared something is really wrong with me

really sorry for rambling on
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 21
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: I'm new, scared and my heart worries have taken over my life
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 07:00:38 PM »
Ive heard that story many, many times. Infact, it's nearly identical to mine. I can't say what to do, just that your problems seem to be consistent with the anxiety a lot of us here have dealt with. At first, I had the problem too. Constantly checking pulse rate, so scared I'd cry and get my boyfriend to do it.

Your test will show you are fine. When it does, you must accept it as true. What you're experiencing is terrifying, and I'm not gonna pretend it'll be easy to recover. But it gets better. Just remember to accept that you are fine, force yourself to accept it, when your tests come back normal.

Oh and stop checking your pulse. That's basically hitting a panic button. Every time you get the urge, force yourself not to. No matter what. It will be the difference between anxiety and overwhelming terror.
Bookmark and Share