Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: What happened to me last night? Should I go to the E.R.?  (Read 406 times)

Offline treadstone

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
    • Poke This Member
What happened to me last night? Should I go to the E.R.?
« on: January 12, 2014, 02:40:00 PM »
Hi, everyone. I'll try and keep this short because I feel terrible. Basic Info: I'm a 26 year old male, 210 pounds.

For the past few days I've been feeling this weird pinching in my chest, like someone trying to squeeze some important pipe or vessel shut. It wasn't super painful per se, but it was scary, and it made my anxiety flare up. Yesterday it actually seemed to be going away, so I was happy.

At about 9:00 PM, I went to throw out the trash. While I was doing so, I felt a sudden and increasing tension somewhere in my upper-left chest going from my shoulder to the middle of my chest. I nearly panicked. I made it back home, sat down on the couch, and put muscle cream on my shoulder. It improved enough for me to fall asleep on the couch at about 1 in the morning.

At 2:00 AM I woke with the absolute worst chest pain ever, ten times worse than the chest pain I felt in June 2010 when my first panic attack ever sent me running for the E.R. The pain ranged across my whole chest and up toward my neck. It lasted for about an hour. I do have anxiety and occasional panic attacks, but I think I know what a panic attack feels like, and at no point during the ordeal did it feel like a panic attack. The pain was extremely strong and was worse with deep breathing. Nothing I did seemed to help and it was impossible to distract myself.

I didn't feel like going to bed until 5 AM. Since then I have been in bed, feeling really anxious and sore in the chest/abdomen area. I had a bit of tea and fell asleep for a total of maybe 5 hours interspersed between 5 AM and 2 PM. I recently climbed out of bed.

I still feel really bad and my chest still feels really tight. I'm trying to decide whether to go to the hospital. I've had three 'false alarm' ER visits since 2010 so I'm hesitant to go, but this is the worst I've ever felt. Will they turn me away if I'm not in the middle of the worst of it? I also hate to imagine waiting six hours or something to be seen, but I guess I'll deal with it if that's the case. The last time my blood pressure was checked, in September of last year, it was normal. And I had an EKG done in October 2012 and that came back all normal. I don't know if enough time has passed that those results don't matter, though.

Thanks.

Bookmark and Share

Offline nobody

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Content
    Content
  • Shameless now nameless now nothing now no one now
    • Poke This Member
Re: What happened to me last night? Should I go to the E.R.?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 02:43:25 PM »
Does the pain get worse the more you walk or do any sort of exercise? And does it go away almost only when you're immobile or barely moving at all?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 02:46:49 PM »
Call your doctor tomorrow and schedule an appt. if it gets worse, go to urgent care center. I wouldn't run to the hospital.
Bookmark and Share

Offline treadstone

Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 02:51:32 PM »
Does the pain get worse the more you walk or do any sort of exercise? And does it go away almost only when you're immobile or barely moving at all?

I think so. When I stay in bed, it still feels quite bad, but it's when I get up and move around that it gets really noticeable. Even sitting here typing feels a lot worse than when I lie in bed.  I haven't really tried to do any exercise since this all started - I'm kind of scared to.

Call your doctor tomorrow and schedule an appt. if it gets worse, go to urgent care center. I wouldn't run to the hospital.

I wish I could but I don't have a doctor. I'm uninsured. The urgent care center is still an option though, I hadn't thought of it. Thank you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 6
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 04:13:10 PM »
based on your description I would seek medical attention sooner than later just to be safe.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 05:00:14 PM »
I agree with patmob. You can still go to urgent care. There is most likely a less wait time than the hospital. Although, if the pain is horrible and still not letting up, they may just send you to the hospital anyway which would leave you with two bills.
Bookmark and Share

Offline nobody

• Mood: Content
    Content
  • Shameless now nameless now nothing now no one now
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 10:25:34 PM »
When I had that sort of pain, sometimes to the point where I had to stop every minute when I was trying to go somewhere because it got too painful, it turned out to be thing called pneumothorax, which is basically a condition where some air gets out of your lung & pushes it down, so you only have 60-95% capacity of your lung, depending on how much air exactly has gone through. Thankfully it isn't anything serious & can be easily treated, in cases where it's not that big you can just stay at home & it'll resolve in 2 weeks time, if it's pretty bad, say 30%, they basically put a tube between your ribs to suck the air out.

I had a pretty bad case, as I had it happen 4 times within 2 months (I used to smoke at that time), until my doctor finally decided that I should get a surgery, which ensured that it will never happen again, at least not in my right lung.

I'm not saying that's what you have, but based on the symptoms you specified, it might be. Since it's an issue with the lung, if you can't seem to breathe in deeply, or it just hurts a lot to do, I'd say that's probably what it is.
Bookmark and Share

Offline i960

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 03:38:50 AM »
I also agree you should head to an urgent care or hospital. There's quite a few things that can cause this type of thing - and I think something cardiac is doubtful for your age, but you should be over-cautious in this case.
Bookmark and Share

Offline treadstone

Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 06:33:09 PM »
I have an update.

So I went to the E.R. today. I had been in a lot of doubt over whether I should go. As I said, I had been to the E.R. three times prior and ended up going home with a clean bill of health. I asked my mom, girlfriend, and friends about whether I should go. Familiar with my health anxiety, they all agreed I shouldn't. But I felt so awful the last few days that I went today anyway.

I described my chest and abdomen pain. They gave me an EKG - everything was fine. They gave me a blood test - it came out good, though the writeup says I have 'low' levels of three things. They listened to my heartbeat, gave me stomach medicine, and looked at my medical history. Then they agreed that it was still GERD and gastritis, and possibly esophageal spasms. They gave me a prescription for an ulcer medicine and told me to get another endoscopy soon.

So, no quick fix this time either. I most assuredly have GERD and gastritis because of anxiety. So, I guess the moral of the story is that anxiety can inflict real and horrible physical pain on you, and the only way to beat it is to somehow learn to ignore it. The struggle continues.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: