Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Bowel Pain, worried about flying  (Read 111 times)

Offline Lara71

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Bowel Pain, worried about flying
« on: January 12, 2014, 12:03:28 PM »
Hello,

I got a small bout of food poisoning a few months ago. I've always had a problematic stomach (I have IBS) and a few weeks after the food poisoning I started getting a regular pain in my left side where the colon is. Other symptoms were a slight loss of appetite and chills but no fever. I freaked out and ended up at the doctor who believed I had constipation. (I have IBS-D and I never had constipation before). This was in October. I took a laxative, avoided trigger foods, and started eating more fiber and  more water and the pain went away. Only to come back in mid December. I went to the gastro doctor and he gave me a prescription to test my stool and to get a cat scan for diverticulitis.

Because it was the holidays and the pain was either not there or light, I decided to wait until January (I'm also a queen procrastinator.) Then I decided to wait until I got back from a trip to Colorado.

Then on Thursday I started getting the pain again. Ironically it was my therapist who sent me into panic mode. She had a very bad case of diverticulitis and she worried that if I had an infection flying might make it worse (She realized her mistake and talked me down a bit.)

I tried on Friday to Saturday afternoon to have only liquids (Broth, juice ice pops) and the pain went away but I started getting headachy from not eating. When I started eating the pain came back and Saturday night i had terrible chills (No fever and it was in the fifties where I lived).

This is the problem. I am not panicking from the possibility I have diverticulitis. Once I know for sure, I will change my diet to accommodate is as I have for IBS, I am panicking that this will ruin my trip to Colorado. I don't have time to do the tests this week. (I plan to do them as soon as I get back.) I'm worried flying might make things worse. I'm doing everything this week to avoid trigger foods but my anxiety is getting the best of me. It will be enough being on a 4.5 hour plane ride.

I feel better writing this but have other people on the list had issues with flying and having an infection?

Thanks.
Lara
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
Re: Bowel Pain, worried about flying
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 01:41:16 PM »
Flying and having an infection should not be a problem unless it was say an ear or sinus infection,
which could have any effect on you while flying.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline bpadilla49

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Bowel Pain, worried about flying
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 02:17:17 PM »
I'm no doctor, but I don't see why flying would make a difference at all. Did she explain WHY flying could aggravate the problem? The only explanation I can think of is the fact that you may get jet-lagged and your sleep and eating patterns will be off?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: