Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Best antidepressants for treating GAD?  (Read 430 times)

Offline TroubledSaint

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Best antidepressants for treating GAD?
« on: January 12, 2014, 11:40:20 AM »
Hi everyone, I have just found out that my Wife could be 8 weeks pregnant (Although she has been bleeding heavily and there could be problems...)

Just wondering what are the best meds for treating GAD? (I have also suffered from PTSD due to near-death experience eight years ago)

My Wife want me to be happy about this, but I'm scared out of my mind. I only earn a very small wage, and I've spent all afternoon trying to figure out how we'll survive. I should have been on meds years ago, but she blocked me due to the fact she was worried it would affect us having a baby etc.

I need to be at peace for once. The "chattering" in my head has got worse since my Mum died in 2012. Many thanks in advance :)
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 23
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Best antidepressants for treating GAD?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 12:26:38 PM »
Hi TS...

There are certainly quite a few anti-depressants available on the market these days.  One is not necessarily better than another, and what works for you, might not work for me.  Bupropion (Wellbutrin) is considered one of the most stimulating medications, and therefore, in my opinion, is at the bottom of the list for treating GAD.  Anti-depressants such as Citalopram (Celexa) and Escitalopram (Lexapro) are considered more "calming", and can have less severe side effects, but this again varies from person to person.

When starting an anti-depressant in the SSRI category, side effects can include a temporary increase in anxiety if the medication is started at a therapeutic level.  This is because of an increase in serotonin levels.  These side effects usually last about two weeks.  Side effects can be prevented or at least diminished if the prescribing physician starts out at a sub-therapeutic dose, and makes increases every 10-14 days, until a therapeutic dose is reached.

If you are concerned about costs, many anti-depressants are now available in generic form.  I was started on Citalopram (Celexa) 6-7 weeks ago.  I pay less than $3 for a 30 day supply, and that is not a copay; it is the total cost of the medication.

I suggest you make a list of all your concerns, and then talk to your doctor about them.  Your list might include side effects and cost, to name two.

The very best to you, TS!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline TroubledSaint

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 04:11:14 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I have been on fluoxetine, before. Made me feel like poop (Grinding teeth etc) I have also tried beta blockers. Any others that can help? I'm in the UK, by the way :)
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Global Moderator
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 04:29:53 PM »
Hey TS...

How long were you on the Fluoxetine (Prozac)?

Fluoxetine is an anti-depressant in the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) classification.  When starting a SSRI, one will often times have side effects that will make a bad situation seem much worse.  This is very normal, because of an increase in serotonin.  Side effects can include increased anxiety, insomnia, dizziness, nausea, tremor, skin rash, upset stomach, loss of appetite, headache, diarrhea, dry mouth and weight loss.  Side effects usually last about two weeks, and then diminish rapidly.  One just has to hang on tight, during the first 2-3 weeks of starting an anti-depressant.

There are many anti-depressants.  It's just trial and error to find which one will work for you.

The best to you, TS!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline TroubledSaint

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 12:46:30 PM »
Hey TS...

How long were you on the Fluoxetine (Prozac)?

Fluoxetine is an anti-depressant in the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) classification.  When starting a SSRI, one will often times have side effects that will make a bad situation seem much worse.  This is very normal, because of an increase in serotonin.  Side effects can include increased anxiety, insomnia, dizziness, nausea, tremor, skin rash, upset stomach, loss of appetite, headache, diarrhea, dry mouth and weight loss.  Side effects usually last about two weeks, and then diminish rapidly.  One just has to hang on tight, during the first 2-3 weeks of starting an anti-depressant.

There are many anti-depressants.  It's just trial and error to find which one will work for you.

The best to you, TS!...  Chuck

Thanks again Chuck. I think I was on them for about ten days. Came off them, as I felt very odd (Even had problems in the bedroom!) Tried Effexor (or Efexor) Had the same problems with that, also (Including blurred vision.......)
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Global Moderator
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 01:25:35 PM »
Hi TS...

Unfortunately, being on a anti-depressants, like Fluoxetine (Prozac) or Venlafaxine (Effexor), for ten days, is not long enough for them to have done anything but show off their side effects to you.  Anti-depressants don't work like most other medications.  When you take an aspirin for a headache, you expect relief in 30 to 60 minutes.  Antidepressants work by stimulating the growth of new brain cells and the connections between cells in the hippocampas regions of the brain.  This helps to reverse the damage caused by the exposure of chronic stress hormones, such as cortisol.  This takes time.  One will usually see degrees of improvement between 3 and 12 weeks on a therapeutic dose of an anti-depressant.

Side effects of anti-depressants can be unpleasant, and can make a bad situation seem worse, but they don't last.  They usually diminish greatly, at about the two week mark into treatment.

You might want to consider going back on an anti-depressant, and give it time to work.  Medications is a real individual choice, and that is sure up to you.

As always, the best to you, TS!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Tags: