Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Petrified to take xanax  (Read 246 times)

Offline Lovemydogs

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Petrified to take xanax
« on: January 12, 2014, 10:21:35 AM »
Long story short, I am always a basket case. I worry 24/7. Bad, bad health anxiety. Usually about my heart. I get so many different symptoms if i wasn't worried about my heart it would be something else. I'm so afraid of dying, I'm not living. Anyway, it got real bad in November. I went to the doctors she did bloodwork, and an ekg all fine (but of course they missed something ) in my mind. She prescribed xanax, she said You need to take this, and calm down. Easier said then done. I am a med phobic, petrified that darn xanax is going to kill me, or make me feel worse. HELP!!!!! Does anyone take it, and what does it make u feel like? Thank u :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
😳

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 61
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
Re: Petrified to take xanax
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 10:30:23 AM »
My wife is a long time pharmacist and she dispenses anti anxiety medication all of the time, such as
Valium, Xanax, Antivan, Klonopin, etc. They all work, but over time you can build up a tolerance to them.
A good friend of mine takes Klonopin regularly, with no ill effects. My internal medicine physician told me that
one should do whatever is necessary to get your life back on track.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Online rileybug

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 12:49:38 PM »
I feel the same way-scary and addictive-very hard to taper off.  I bet not many pharmisits take it-they know the true story.  Alot of docs are not that familiar with all the anxiety meds.  I would probably go to phy doc before i took it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline vardnas

• Rec's: 83
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 01:36:07 PM »
My GP was the one who prescribed me Xanax. She could see that I was a NERVOUS WRECK and needed it. I, too, was afraid to take it, but I did, and it was scary, but after a few moments, I felt ... normal. For a time, of course, and then it wore off—but, it was a great way to realize that what I was experiencing was anxiety-related, and not something physically, dangerously wrong.

My advice—take it—responsibly of course; not more than you're prescribed—and when you take it the first time, take it with someone else in the room.
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 61
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 01:36:41 PM »
According to my physician and pharmacist, all medicine has potential side effects.
We have to weigh the benefits versus the risks.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Moebearocka1980

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 01:42:52 PM »
I agree with Vardnas and marc.

I take a low dose of xanax as needed. No issues with it at all.
Bookmark and Share
"Fear defeats more people than any other one thing in the world.  ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Lovemydogs

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 03:55:32 PM »
Thanks so much. I guess i'm gonna have to bite the bullet, and just do it. I can't live like this anymore. I just stare at this bottle likes it's going to kill me,  :spineyes: not help. My husband is like just take it, I wish I could. Thank u so much for the help. 
Bookmark and Share
😳

Offline Pingman

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 05:00:45 PM »
I share you same fear of xanax, really any drug. I don't want to get started and then not be able to stop one day.

I had some pretty bad HA since November around MS. My GP gave me xanax when I started thinking my vision was off after an MRI came back clean. He said take them for awhile twice a day until your mind resets. They will help yu realize your ok and you will retrain your brain. I ahve taken them as I get really anxious but I prob should take them as prescribed cause I still an anxious. I actually know that I have tension in my neck and head that is causing me my headache and eye issues but its hard to realize that is I relax it will all go away.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Moebearocka1980

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 05:02:32 PM »
Lovemydogs - I understand your fears as I'm not crazy about taking medicine either. I would advise you to talk one for the first time around your husband. That way you feel better if any side effects come up that you don't like.
Bookmark and Share
"Fear defeats more people than any other one thing in the world.  ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline astroturf

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 05:50:18 PM »
I was afraid too. Just took my first one today.why did I never take this before?!??
Bookmark and Share

Offline threnners

• Leaping to the worst conclusion in a single bound!
  • Anxiety Girl
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 06:17:49 PM »
I have taken the same dose (.25) for 4 years now.  I don't take it on a regular basis, just when things are particularly rough.     I take it before bed because it makes me sleepy, and when I wake up, I'm refreshed and I don't have a single care in the world until around 5pm later in the day.  I also get a bonus night of good sleep as well.
Bookmark and Share

Offline theelt712

• Queen Cardiochondria
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Strength is in the eye of the beholder.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 06:23:12 PM »
A low dose of Xanex should be fine, but only if taken *as needed* and not on a regular basis because benzodiazepines have the great potential to cause addiction and other side effects, also withdrawal if suddenly stopped. However, during, panic attacks, it should be okay.
Bookmark and Share
Queen Cardiochondria.
"I would recommend that you lay off the Google crack pipe for a little while."- vardnas

Offline Lovemydogs

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 07:02:28 PM »
You are all so kind to answer me, I thank you all so much.  I'm not doing it until next weekend. When work is done.  (Maybe) I will prob just keep carrying it around. my doc did scribe a low dose, she said take half, and see how you feel. She knows I 'm a wreck about this, and in general. Thank u all, I really needed to hear this from all of you. Maybe now I will find some courage to do it, because you all did. Thank u, thank you, thank u. Hope you all are well.  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
😳

Offline Pingman

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 07:39:33 PM »
My wife has GAD and takes Lexapro daily. On really bad nights she will take a Xanax for sleep. You would never know she is on any meds unless she told you.

My uncle in-law takes Xanax as well and he too....you would have no clue.

I read a forum where a guy was describing some acute anxiety he developed from some bad eye floaters. He said he used Xanax as a tool to get better. He used walking, diet and Xanax to calm his mind and after 2 months he was able to taper off Xanax and be his old self again.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lovemydogs

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2014, 08:22:40 PM »
Love that story, hope I get that lucky ;D thank u
Bookmark and Share
😳

Tags: