Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Need help with visual disturbances + fear of eyesight getting worse  (Read 422 times)

Offline Noclip1

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
       It all started in grade 6 summer when I started seeing double vision in each eyes when my family went on a road trip. This turned out to be normal in a way and possibly from excessive eyelid pressure and didnít think about it as much until grade 8 and 9. Grade 8 is where I freaked out about my vision getting worse (flashes and the double vision again) and got it checked by the optometrist and nothing bad was found. Same thing happened in grade 9 as I again feared about my eyesight. I was then so hypochondriac that I thought I had certain eyes diseases such as cataracts (even though I visited the eye doctor the second time with more elaborate tests) and searched online about such things so much. I was still searching many things online about my vision and this is when visual trails (palinopsia?) started and the thing was I was reading about trails before I even got it but I don't know if that's how I developed it or from stressing. Grade 9 summer is when I stressed about the visual trails the most and did heavy research. I then came across afterimage infos online and on another road trip, basically 3 years later from the grade 6 trip, I started to look for positive afterimages by looking at buildings and then the sky. Same things with store signs, cars and thatís how it all began.That's kind of the same time when negative afterimages began.Now I see these afterimages My absolute fear are these visual symptoms (The afterimages and trails) getting worse in time.

Info about me: I am physically active everyday, I eat healthily,I have not taken any street drugs or medications. My ancestors and family are all healthy. I also tend to want to preserve perfect vision.

Visual disturbances in summary: - light trails, palinopsia? (started when I didn't believe by eye doctor and started stressing and searching online)
                                                         - Negative and positive afterimages (started byactively looking for them)
                                                         - Although these may seem symptoms from visual snow, I don't have snow and I don't even want to try searching for it.

I stopped worrying about my vision in grade 9 and went pretty much 3 years without thinking about it. I am normally a happy person as I spent quality time with my friends and family and I'm all set with my education. But for some reason, this worry struck me again 2 weeks ago and I'm kind of starting to feel hurt. Does anyone else have these visual disturbances and do they get worse? Why don't they go away? I know I see well and have excellent night vision and 20/20 vision but again, I tend to worry about the light trails and afterimages getting worse. . I've never developed any other visual disturbances and I hope to keep it that way and I need your help accepting these disturbances and to stop being so hyper vigilant and obsessively checking my vision.

Thanks a lot.
Bookmark and Share

Offline i960

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Need help with visual disturbances + fear of eyesight getting worse
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 12:00:15 AM »
There are connections to migraines (which aren't felt as painful headaches) causing these types of symptoms. However, have you made an appointment with an ophthalmologist? They should be examining the optic nerve and retina for any signs of separation.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Noclip1

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 12:05:59 AM »
Yes. I believe the second doctor I went to was an Ophthalmologist and did thorough examinations involving the retina. Nothing was found.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Noclip1

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 07:41:43 PM »
My eyes are healthy but I think I programmed my brain to see these things as i was on the constant lookout for them.
Bookmark and Share

Offline seagirl

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 09:48:40 PM »
See my PM. ;)  13 years later and I'm still seeing perfectly! You will be fine.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: vision hypochondria