Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: are saline nasal sprays safe?  (Read 246 times)

Offline corwin

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
are saline nasal sprays safe?
« on: January 11, 2014, 01:38:42 AM »
this is the dumbest thread i've ever started and i apologize, i'm so stressed out at the moment which has my anxiety latching onto anything and everything it can, even the tiniest of things.

my mom got me one of those pressurized arm & hammer cans of saline spray to help with my crappy sinuses. i've used it a few times over the past day and a half and it does help with the dryness. my only concern - and i feel ridiculous even typing this - is tied into the whole n. fowleri amoeba thing that was found in tap water and killed two people who used neti pots with that infected water. countless threads on here have been made about that amoeba so i know it's a common fear. and of course since the saline spray i'm using contains water i'm worried that for SOME reason, in a pressurized can of purified water and salt, mass-produced from a popular brand of products that thousands of people use daily, somehow also contains that amoeba, and that i've squirted it up into my nose and it's going to go right to my brain and chomp away. clearly 100% rational thinking here, huh?

can anyone give me some of their own experiences using saline sprays for sinuses? this is the first time i've ever used one and i still haven't gotten over my n. fowleri fear which has pretty much banned me from ever using a neti pot. i'm sorry i sound extremely foolish right now making these two connections but that's what my anxious mind does best.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: are saline nasal sprays safe?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 06:04:55 AM »
I don't use them myself. But think for a moment. Would they be allowed to sell them if they were dangerous? They would be out of business by now. People would be taken them to court. You could ask the exact same question about all the different forms of medication we all take. The answer would be the same. They would not be allowed to market a product if it was dangerous. So I think we can assume, using logic alone, that this product is safe to use.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline alphamuomega

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 06:22:36 AM »
there is no such thing as a dumb post if you suffer from anxiety anything and everything can make you stressed and i understand you just need someone to reassure you that everything is alright.

and everything is alright.

saline sprays cannot harm you in anyway, that is if they are your own, i don't see you trading them between people  :laugh3: so there is no way to contract a cold from them.

you cannot get sick again from using the saline spray as your body becomes immune to the virus or what ever ills you and then the virus becomes defective and dies within hours.

which means that the saline spray is totally clean after you use it, so don't be afraid of getting sick once again after you become healthy.

also saline spray can do no damage to your body it might make your nose to moist if you down bottles of it  :laugh3:

saline spray does not go right to your brain, all the water is purified so don't worry about it.

so all in all everything is perfectly fine.

:winking0008:
Bookmark and Share

Offline corwin

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 07:29:34 PM »
gosh thank you guys so much, i was having such a fit about this last night worrying about stupid brain-eating amoebas from a sinus spray of all things ;; i embarrass myself with this sometimes but i know at least i'm with people who understand the feeling on this forum. thank you guys again!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: n fowleri fowleri