Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: How do people without health anxiety not have these thoughts?  (Read 211 times)

Offline Angelofworry

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
How do people without health anxiety not have these thoughts?
« on: January 10, 2014, 07:27:49 PM »
I know that my thinking is faulty. And I know that every ache and pain does not mean I have cancer or any other terminal illness, I haven't been right yet anyway.  However, how do you not automatically assume the worst? It seems every little thing my body does I assume it's got to be a symptom of something big and scary. I wish breast pain just meant my boob hurts and go on with my life. Bit no, I assume it's breast cancer. Then anything else I feel is automatically tied to it. So if my back hurts, also it means the breast cancer has metastasized to my bones. How do I break this chain? I'm so afraid that if I stop worrying, I will miss something.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Powerslave1724

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: How do people without health anxiety not have these thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 08:11:03 PM »
I ask my wife this all the time. Her mother has MS and there has been a ton of cancer in her family. She is usually "Yeah, I'm pretty confident I will die of cancer but it is what it is, I don't worry about it." and she doesn't think twice about it and just lives her life.

Problem for people with anxiety disorders is we don't have that ability to just brush it off. I have OCD, so I am constantly obsessing over my health. It's terrible. I do find taking my mind off things for extended periods of time helps but the longer I obsess, the harder it is for me to break free of the cycle. If i catch myself early about to start obsessing and can stop myself to do something else within 10-20 minutes the thoughts are almost always out of my head. I run into trouble when I start focusing on them and can't stop.
Bookmark and Share

Offline rileybug

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 08:18:13 PM »
I'M just like you.  Any odd aches just have to be cancer.  This didn't hit until my 60's-sure dont know why.  Its probably my fear of death as i get older.  The thought of not seeing my kids moveing on in their lives is scarey.(my daughter is a doc and thinks i've lost my mind)  Maybe 2014 will be better.
Bookmark and Share

Offline nobody

• Mood: Content
    Content
  • Shameless now nameless now nothing now no one now
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 08:23:52 PM »
I used to have health anxiety a while back alongside all my other fears & phobias. Eventually, I just gave up, I stopped caring, all my worriesome thoughts got replaced with:"It's not worth living this way, I rather just give in & die than keep living with these awful feelings." While losing the fear of death did not make my fear of talking to people or being judged go away, it definitely did something in the health anxiety department. Eversince I started being apathetic towards my own body & mind, I've actually noticed a huge drop in panic attacks & even anxiety. However, I can not recommend this to people as it seems to me like a really flawed way of looking at life, I was just answering to your question & how I got myself to stop assuming the worst. I feel 100 different sensations on a daily basis, all of them negative, palpitations, throbbing in the head & neck, stiffness, fatigue, derealization, you name it, but I no longer care, I just let my body do its thing & get over it, I'm too tired to keep worrying about what all of these feelings mean.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: