Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Does it get better on an anti'd?  (Read 245 times)

Offline LynnC

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Does it get better on an anti'd?
« on: January 10, 2014, 04:46:33 PM »
So if anyone can give me some insight I'd be most appreciative. I've been taking lexapro for 10 weeks now. I've slowly titrated up and have now been on 10mg for 2 weeks. I still wake up with that feeling of dread and am not where I'd thought I'd be so far in...still moderately depressed and am experiencing anxiety still...still no interest in things that used to bring me pleasure like reading, tv, etc. I'm not sure if this is "it" or is all antidepressants are to provide or does one truly return to a normal state of being and continue with life? I don't know if I'm on the wrong medicine or need to increase my dose (or give the 10mg more time). I'm very dizzy and foggy headed on 10 so the thought of an increase isn't a pleasant one. Thanks for any comments.
Bookmark and Share

Offline BusuB

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
Re: Does it get better on an anti'd?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 05:27:22 PM »
You've only been at a therapeutic dose for 2 weeks.  Unfortunately you have to give it more time.  The 8 previous weeks on subtherapeutic dose, as far as I know, didn't do much but delay full onset.  A lucky few get response at subtherapeutic doses.  If  you've received any benefit at all, I'd suggest waiting it out at this dose for another month, and increasing again up to 20mg if unsatisfied.

Bookmark and Share

Offline BusuB

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 05:29:32 PM »
Oh and to further answer your question: the goal of antidepressant therapy is not just to feel a little better, it's for remission.  So, yes, it does get better.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 94
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 06:54:44 PM »
So if anyone can give me some insight I'd be most appreciative. I've been taking lexapro for 10 weeks now. I've slowly titrated up and have now been on 10mg for 2 weeks.

It usually takes 3-12 weeks for antidepressants to fully kick-in once you're at a therapeutic dose, which for Lexapro is at least 10mg. So you may not see results for another 1-10 weeks. Sorry, but there isn't much you can do to speed this up. Antidepressants work by initiating and sustaining the growth of new brain cells and this takes time.

I'm very dizzy and foggy headed on 10 so the thought of an increase isn't a pleasant one.

Both can also be anxiety symptoms so they may not all be down to the med. The med triggered side-effects usually diminish after a few weeks.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline LynnC

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 08:50:10 PM »
Thanks all. I've heard that once you're on a therapeutic dose the clock starts again....and I just hope this is a therapeutic dose. I guess time will tell...
Bookmark and Share

Tags: