Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Omg I should have never of brought this Bp monitor!!!  (Read 302 times)

Offline Betty1979

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Omg I should have never of brought this Bp monitor!!!
« on: January 10, 2014, 02:55:55 PM »
Following on from my previous post I brought a Bp monitor after my blood pressure was 142/100 at the docs.

It's all I think about all day worrying about it! Took it yesterday and average reading was 125/85 today it's higher. I test my self all the time hoping it's gone down. It's stressing me out :-(

Just need to get a good reading to put my mind at rest!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 6
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Omg I should have never of brought this Bp monitor!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 03:05:41 PM »
Put it in the closet and leave it there.  Compulsively taking your BP won't help anything. 

In your other post you said your doc wasn't worried about your BP so neither should you.

Also, he told you to take it when you were relaxed - not tKing it in the middle of a HA panic attack.

Unless you were sent away with BP medication and a follow-up to monitor your BP, you taking it at home is just busy work.

Put it aside for a week and then when you've calmed down, take 2 or 3 times a WEEK - not a couple of times a day or per hour.  If it's still high, take it to the doc and make sure it's working right.

I had one that gave me constant high reading - like 200/120 and I got freaked out and called the doc.  He said being it in.  He took my BP and it was 115/80 then I used the machine and it was something like 165/110.  The machine was malfunctioning.  It happens
Bookmark and Share

Offline ceh1354

• Rec's: 7
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 03:18:02 PM »
I have so been where you are. It's so easy to get caught in the cycle of taking it "just once more" to get a reading you like. It's bad.
I suggest you take it once, maybe twice a day, at the same times(different times of day). And don't run to the closet, slap the cuff on and go. Sit down and relax for like 5 minutes and take it once on each arm, then put it away.
Keep a log if you want, it's helpful if you're trying to track to see if you do actually have Hypertension. Which it sounds like you do not.
I am assuming your machine is brand new, thus the battery is new?

Bookmark and Share
Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devilís schemes. Ephesians 6:11

Offline Betty1979

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 05:04:32 PM »
Thanks everyone for your replies. Yes it is brand new and was recommended by my doc! Not sure what sort of reading I need to be worries about? Maybe I do have high blood pressure? God seriously....what am I like!!!

Fed up of feeling like this, why can't I just not think worst case scenario!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline fannyanxious

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 05:52:35 PM »
125 / 85 is good, within the normal range so you have nothing to worry about :)

I have been there with the monitor myself too, years ago. I kept testing over and over and obsessing but obviously getting stressed just makes it worse. What I did eventually was to set myself a limit of just testing once a day and after a few weeks I started to forget because I realised that it was fine, so try doing that, just measure it the once and resist till the next day.

Something I was told too is that sometimes the top number gets high because of stress / anxiety etc and that its really nothing to worry about. If I remember rightly over 140 / 90 is considered high but only slightly and not in need of treatment, so as long as your averages stay below that you are completely fine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ceh1354

• Rec's: 7
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 05:54:31 PM »
I would talk to your Dr and ask him what numbers he'd like to see for you. 125/85 is not high. They have changed the guidelines recently, so I'd ask.
Please don't worry so much about this, as this is one of the ones that the more you worry, the worse it will be. Kind of like most issues we people with HA come across. :-(
Look at it this way, even IF it's on the high side, many times lifestyle changes will kick it back down. (diet, exercise) And IF is were high enough consistently that your DR called for treatment, it's pretty easily treated. I am on a combo of 2 meds and they work well for me.

Don't be so hard on yourself. Every one of us on there is overly worried about their heath. :yes:
Bookmark and Share
Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devilís schemes. Ephesians 6:11

Offline ivyt73

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 06:36:12 PM »
So been there and done that.  A couple of years ago I was living to take my bp.  I was taking it sometimes 30 times a day waiting for that "good" number which for me was 115/75 or below.  I don't have high bp, never have.  I just had a few higher readings at the docs like you.  I bought a monitor and wouldn't stop taking it so my husband threw it away.  Then I began going to several different groceries and pharmacies to take it.  It was awful.  Finally, I began to wean myself off of it, I started going once a week, then once every two weeks, and finally stopped all together.  I now only have it taken at the doctor's office and then if it is "high" I check at the pharmacy, if I can't get it low enough I will buy a monitor and check at home until I get the right number and then throw out the monitor.  This still sucks but at least it is only a couple of times a year instead of constantly.

I learned that months go by and my bp does not change.  The bp checking became the key to my happiness, if I got a good number I was thrilled, I could relax and enjoy things but if I got a 'bad" number days could be ruined.  This was just an activity to make me feel like i was ok, it didn't even really have a lot to do with bp.

The best thing I ever did was get rid of that damn machine.  I have gotten my life back and I don't want to ever go back to that again.

You have proven that your bp is ok, so if I were you I would get rid of the machine and let your doctor manage your bp.

Ivy
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dje

• Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 01:53:19 AM »
I often experience "white coat syndrome" when I go to the doctors. I think it stems from having two pretty major surgeries when I was between 6 and 7. Sometimes my bp can be a little high when they take it when I'm nervous. Years ago my doctor told me that my bp was on the higher range of normal and to try testing it on my own at a pharmacy once a week to see if is lower. So I go to a pharmacy, place my arm in the cuff (I can't stand the squeezing feeling of a bp test), and wait for the reading. There must of been some glitch because it gave me a crazy reading. I can't remember now if it was super low or super high, but all I know is I got scared. I had to get out of the store and get some air. After calming down I realized, no way could the reading be accurate. Something would have been going awry physically and I would know it. I decided then and there that I was not taking my bp again, lol.
Bookmark and Share

Offline burgundyplace

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 04:26:04 AM »
Hi betty,

For the longest time, I've been having scary BP numbers and I only 23 years old! It usually ranges between 130 - 150 for me. You can just imagine how anxious it makes me!

Funny though that the last two readings I had were taken at our family doctor. Our family doctor took it and it was 120 over something. It wasn't exactly the best value, but just seeing it around that mark made me so happy! Lol!

Well, I am still finding other things to do in order to lower it.

If you want my honest opinion regarding your BP care, go get that BP monitor and don't just hide it somewhere safe. In fact, THROW IT AWAY! It will just make you more anxious, I swear!
Bookmark and Share

Offline i960

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 05:02:52 AM »
Read this:

White coat hypertension

It can even result in misdiagnosis of (pre-)hypertension due to clinical settings causing a higher than usual reading. You can then see how a patient may believe these have a BP issue and obsessively check their blood pressure as a result - when in essence the clinical reading was artificially elevated. IANAD, but I would not worry about anything under 140.
Bookmark and Share

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 6
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 08:16:11 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, the top number in your BP (the 120 in 12/80) goes up and down quite easily based on whats going on around you and the docs are as concerned with it.  Its the lower number which they are more concerned with. 

According to the American Heart Association: Typically more attention is given to the top number (the systolic blood pressure) as a major risk factor for cardiovascular disease for people over 50 years old. In most people, systolic blood pressure rises steadily with age due to increasing stiffness of large arteries, long-term build-up of plaque, and increased incidence of cardiac and vascular disease.

They also stress: Your healthcare providers will want to get an accurate picture of your blood pressure and chart what happens over time.  I've learned that when a doctor says "over time" he means years not hours, days or weeks

So don't worry about random, high readings here and there especially with the top number.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: