Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: How do you handle a setback?  (Read 682 times)

Offline maple

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: How do you handle a setback?
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 09:27:47 AM »
It seems to me that in reading your last response, you would find counseling very helpful.  I know the last therapist you saw was not a good fit, but judging by your statement "I really did feel better just talking to her"; finding a therapist you connected with could be incredibly rewarding.  You can also see from previous statements that when you are feeling really bad that your are also stuck in classic negative, ruminative thinking ("I feel like I've lost ground in my treatment. Haven't touched meditation. my house is a mess. Loss of appetite, trouble sleeping.  It's like I'm almost back to square one"), and a good therapist will work with you to provide you with tools to break (or at least lessen) those engrained negative thought patterns

I know that it took me a few false starts with different therapists, and some were just awful.  However, I've been seeing someone for the past few months who has helped me come a long way.  She is multi-modal: we do CBT, relaxation, hypnosis, problem solving, and sometimes just plain old talk therapy.  If you can't find someone near you, it's great that you have a self-help book.  The important part is really making the commitment to work on yourself, and to be gentle and kind to yourself when you have a setback.  Its much harder than it sounds, but you sound like your eager to do the work to get better. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 16
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 08:40:39 AM »
Thanks for your thoughts maple. Yes, I go back and forth a bit on whether I want to pursue finding another therapist right now. I know sometimes it can take a few tries before finding a good fit. One of the challenges is finding the time to get these appointments in the schedule.....I have two upcoming psychiatry appointments, one in two weeks, one in four. And my daughter's well-child check the week between those.  So while I know my next psychiatry appointment certainly won't be a long  one like the last, if she continues to be receptive to talking through the meditation, acceptance, etc with me herself I may continue as is. But I'll keep my options open and consider trying again. Thanks!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Doxie Lover

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Hanging In
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 10:04:02 PM »
I'm sorry that you don't have anyone at home to help support you. That can be tough.

Psychiatrist appointment went well. She spent forty minutes with me which I thought was really nice. We spoke briefly about med adjustment but opted not to do so at this time. One problem that I realized as I was talking to her is that I've never treated the depressive symptoms as their own seperate entity. I've always considered them in the context of my anxiety, because they didn't start until the anxiety got severe. And then the depressive symptoms were the first to lift when I started the Lexapro. I prepare myself to cope with days of worsened anxiety, but not depression. And in a sense even though chronically management of the two is very similar, I just have to adjust my mindset a little in dealing when the depression arises.

She loaned me a CD with some recommended meditations, as well as the "Mindfulness & Acceptance Workbook for Depression"

I'm not 100% back to where I was last week, but I really did feel better just talking to her. She's actually just about five years older than myself, with small children also so she's very approachable to me, which is important with my personality  ;D I see her back for my previously scheduled appointment in two weeks.

I'm glad too that you have a therapist.  I'd like to go to one but since I'm not working yet, I don't have private health insurance in order to see a therapist.  Even with the new Obamacare, there are limitations for mental health.  The government will spends zillions giving you medication, but there's no money set aside for therapy.  So the only way one can afford it is if you have private (through work) health insurance. 

Anyway, I agree with you too about the depression.  Depression and anxiety are often linked and I have the same problem as you.  How is the CD?  For other meditations and positive affirmations, I really like Louise Hay.  I try to listen to meditation CDs at least 5 times a week, especially when I'm going through anxiety.  It helps a bit, but is not enough in itself.
Bookmark and Share

Tags:

anything