Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Smell hallucinations??  (Read 232 times)

Offline ETE44

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Smell hallucinations??
« on: January 10, 2014, 12:14:55 AM »
So a while ago I started smelling something weird in my room. I kept spraying fragrances, but nothing. Eventually, I smelled it on a plate I had nearby and threw it out. But I keep smelling it kind of? And I'm just terrified now. Hallucinating smells can either mean brain tumor or schizophrenia, both things i'm INSANELY afraid of. But I had an EEG a few months ago and my results came back fine! :( And I just got my psychiactric evaluation and they said I just had anxiety. I don't know how this could have happened.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 161
    • Poke This Member
Re: Smell hallucinations??
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 05:56:27 AM »
Isn't it just amazing how the one thing you are going through just happens to be part of the symptoms of the two things you fear the most. Might be just me who sees a connection here. I am sure if you feared cancer you will would be experiencing some symptoms of that too. Trust me, not a lot of people would know about the smell been a symptom of those two things you fear the most. I take it you have looked up this a few times. I take it you know every symptom that would go with both conditions. Enter the mind. It is an amazing thing. It can mimic many things. I sort of think this is what we might have going on here. Now you could get checked out if you really wanted to. Just to make sure. I am not saying don't. If your worry is that bad by all means visit a doctor. That would be the right thing to do. Give yourself peace of mind. But accept what the doctor has to say. Don't second guess the doctor.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Gomubukai

• Rec's: 6
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 06:04:51 AM »
You'd be amazed just how good the human nose can be!

For ages I kept smelling peanut butter in random places and smoking at other times in my house.

Guess what? Turns out the people I live with we're making toast and the smell was getting trapped. And my new neighbour three houses down smokes outside and it gets in though the windows.

Both were real smells I just didn't know enough about my environment to connect them with anything and ASSUMED that I was inventing them which was confusing.

:)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Calamy

• The Golden Eyed Commander of Wishes
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • and Leon's getting larger!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 01:09:02 PM »
I have had these. My first one was when I was 16/17. My father had died that year and at his wake he smelled very strongly of formaldehyde. When the first anniversary of his death was coming,  started smelling formaldehyde in my room for no reason.

In 2000 I had it again only I smelled a chemial/freon/ammonia type smell and this one happened on and off for months. I had a brain scan which was clear. I read yesterday that you can get this kind of thing from hyperventilating, which is something I do almost constantly. In fact I hyperventilated the month I was having the first smells when I was 16.

I have smelled flowers and also smelled poop that wasn't there. I had another brain scan in 2008 and that was clear as well.

I don't know why these things happen but I think some of it is stress and some is hyperventilation from stress. I also think some of it is psychological. I really believe you can smell things if you concentrate on them or fear them enough.
Bookmark and Share
"Fear is such a vicious thing; it wraps me up in chains." - Tears for Fears, "The Working Hour"

Offline Dayvid

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 02:27:52 PM »
I often smell smoke - I worried about it SO much. But i realised the smell was IN my nose. If i smelt other things they smelt normal. It was just in my nose.

It hits me from time to time - I put it down to sinus issues and/or anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: