Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Panic Attack/Heart Palpitations  (Read 315 times)

Offline Isa

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Relieved
    Relieved
    • Poke This Member
Panic Attack/Heart Palpitations
« on: January 09, 2014, 11:46:50 PM »
I have been having a few heart palpitations on and off throughout the day. Like a skip a beat, or a flutter feeling, usually lasts 1-2 seconds. It makes me think that something is terribly wrong with my heart and that any second my heart will just start going nuts and I'll pass out and die right on the floor. This is not new with me, I've been experiencing this for nearly two years now. I had an EKG and thyroid tested and those were normal, which is what got me into therapy, and after a few months of it now we're getting into the trauma that threw me into all of this panic and anxiety. Anyway so after about ten hours or so of on and off palpitations (maybe one or two every 2-3 hours) I ended up panicking about a half hour ago. Lasted a few minutes, I almost hyperventilated. I started calming down but then I felt light headed for a few seconds and it made me nearly panic again because I thought that there must be something horribly wrong with my heart and any minute I am going to die.

I tried breathing techniques, some meditation, and some light exercise today, hoping those would prevent my attack but they did not. Now I have to work tomorrow afternoon for 4 hours and on Saturday morning for 4 hours and I'm thinking about calling in for tomorrow because I still feel like I might panic again and feel drained. I hate to do that though because I think I've been making pretty good progress in therapy, this is my first attack of this year so far. I have my therapy journal and will try and bring it with me when I go to work, are they any coping suggestions or ideas for me? I know I have another thread out there asking for help coping with anxiety at work, but right now I want to be able to deal with the panic attack I just had and not surge into another one. Also it would be nice to hear if other people also have these palpitations on and off throughout the day. Most days I do not have them anymore, but frequently I find they are always there the day of an attack, almost like a precursor.
Bookmark and Share

Offline nobody

• Mood: Content
    Content
  • Shameless now nameless now nothing now no one now
    • Poke This Member
Re: Panic Attack/Heart Palpitations
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 11:54:25 PM »
I have palpitations pretty much every day, I've learned to just ignore them & go about my daily routine.

About the panic attacks, what I do whenever I start feeling those rushes of stress/fatigue I slow myself down a bit & kind of observe the emotions I'm feeling & how they affect me, I try to stay immobile for a little bit & get comfortable with the sensations I feel & when I feel that I've had enough I move a bit sharply, but not too much, to negate the effects. I've actually noticed that eversince I started employing this technique, my panic attacks have significantly decreased & are not nearly as terrible as they used to be.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Isa

• Mood: Relieved
    Relieved
    • Poke This Member
Re: Panic Attack/Heart Palpitations
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 12:02:23 AM »
I have been trying to ignore them as much as I can, even get angry for having them, but sometimes it just comes up on m the wrong way or at the wrong time and throws me off  :( One of my problems is that I tend to ignore/push away my feelings, my therapist is helping me to start letting myself feel my emotions. So I will try what you said, letting myself feel my emotions and trying to be okay with it. It's really nice to know that I'm not alone in the heart palpitation group.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: