Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: So scared of starting Effexor XR (Generic.)  (Read 534 times)

Offline CaliforniaDreamer

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
So scared of starting Effexor XR (Generic.)
« on: January 09, 2014, 07:54:55 PM »
So I think my last hope to feel somewhat normal is to try medication. I have been suffering from really bad health anxiety and mild depression since having my first child 18 months ago.

A new GYN I went to see a couple weeks ago has prescribed me generic Effexor XR. I haven't started it because I am so scared of the withdrawl symptoms when I come off. I have read some pretty bad stuff and I am really worried. I know everybody reacts to different meds differently, but it's still scary.

I am suppose to start on 37.5 mg for the first week, then take and continue on 75mg once a day.

Anyone have any experience or advice?
Bookmark and Share

Offline ajt023

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: So scared of starting Effexor XR (Generic.)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 08:03:46 PM »
I had very good success with Effexor for anxiety.  Took it for 2-2 1/2 years.  If it is the right med for you will be very helpful.  As far as the withdrawals....yes they can be bad.  But if you properly ween yourself off then the effects will be that much more severe.  I am currently withdrawaling from Pristiq and my personal experience was that Effexor was easier.....given that you can step down to 37.5mg and even remove beads inside the capsule slowly if withdrawal is still so hard.

If you feel medication may help you try it.  It may not even be the medicene for you...but you wont know unless you try.  :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 93
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 10:23:13 PM »
A new GYN I went to see a couple weeks ago has prescribed me generic Effexor XR.

Effexor does have the reputation of being the hardest antidepressant to discontinue. At the doses typically prescribed for anxiety it only acts as an SSRI and as it has no advantage over the SSRIs, IMHO, they are preferable (it does have advantages in very severe depression, however). Either Celexa (citalopram) or Lexapro (escitalopram) would be a better choice as your first antidepressant. They may not work, not all do for an individual, but this is also true of Effexor.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 11:29:11 PM »
Thank you both very much.

So Ian, would you suggest one of the other medications you mentioned, or should I try the Effexor? My anxiety is 95% of my problem and depression is about 5%.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Abraham2007

• Rec's: 10
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 12:19:54 AM »
So I think my last hope to feel somewhat normal is to try medication. I have been suffering from really bad health anxiety and mild depression since having my first child 18 months ago.

A new GYN I went to see a couple weeks ago has prescribed me generic Effexor XR. I haven't started it because I am so scared of the withdrawl symptoms when I come off.

You should stick to the medication that your doctor, or GYN, prescribed which is Effexor (Venlafaxine).  If your history includes issues with severe heart palpitations, Lexapro or Celexa could make your heart condition much worse, and that is probably what your GYN considered, as she was reviewing your background, when she was prescribing the appropriate antidepressant medication for you.

Since you last saw your doctor a few weeks ago, you should be having another appointment, soon, to monitor your progress on the antidepressant medication since the last visit.

If you didn't take the Effexor(Venlafaxine) at all since your last visit, your GYN probably will probably be very hesitant to give you any new prescription for another antidepressant.
Bookmark and Share
Quacks prey on us Anxiety Disorder sufferers as part of the Mental Health community, since we can be desperate for healing.  Don't be victimized, instead be EDUCATED about  QUACKERY!!!!! http://www.quackwatch.com/ 

Online insights

• Rec's: 93
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 01:11:45 AM »
So Ian, would you suggest one of the other medications you mentioned, or should I try the Effexor? My anxiety is 95% of my problem and depression is about 5%.

I suggest you discuss this further with your gynecologist, and/or family doctor explaining why you're reluctant to take Effexor, basically telling them what you posted. Personally, all other things being equal, I would choose either Celexa or Lexapro with a slight leaning to the first. Of course here may be valid reasons why Effexor would be the better med for you in which case you should heed the advice given.

That said, be aware that withdrawal reactions are highly individual, some can stop Effexor quickly without drama, and psychology is at least as important as chemistry. Believe you will suffer greatly and you mind is quite capable of producing the whole catastrophe in full wide-screen technicolor with surround sound, sometimes even without a change in dose.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline crystalclear81

• Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 03:34:32 AM »
hey just from my own personal experience I had my son back in 2001.  I was 20. Anyway I went through bad post partum depression, had anxiety and panic I finally was put on Effexor xr and let me tell you it was like the gates of heaven opened for me It was like a miracle pill even though they say theres none well id beg to differ lol Anyway my life resumed to normal including going to work enjoying my son and enjoying being a mother. I was started on Effexor xr but was switched to Effexor xr generic eventually because the real deal was no longer covered. IT worked for almost 11 years and the dose that I made it up too was 150mg and stayed there for 10 yrs. A lot of stress ended up hitting the fan in my life 2 yrs ago and panic anxiety and depression crept back in, from what I believe was all due to tremendous stress, anyway unfortunately with all meds a tolerance is met eventually and the effects of a pill may no longer be felt, so I was taken off my lovely pill :( and switched and switched again blah blah blah Bottom line is Effexor xr can work very very well and don't be scared to try a med I know how you feel but you could be so much more happier in a few weeks. Side effects are a part of medication but again everyone is different so you may not get any you may get a few but mos side effects disappear when the med is through your system usually a couple of weeks and every time your dose is increased you may get some but really whats a side effect compared to what ur probably feeling right now, like I said you could be back on track sooner than you think. I'm not a doctor and I know not all meds work the same for everyone but it's worth a try. I"ve now tried many and the one that was the absolute worst for me was Cymbalta it made me think about the S word constantly so I simply told my mom I was having these thoughts went to the ER and was taken off the med and as soon as I was off those the thoughts disappeared that's how I know it was the pill that's prob the worst of the worst side effect that can happen but if your alert and stay on top of how your feeling you will know when something like that comes into play. My advice would be try it and 37.5 is a low dose for Effexor right now im currently back on Effexor but at a massive dose of 375 lol and I had zero side effects this time around and it unfortunately isn't working like it was for that beautiful 10 years but it deff helps with depression my anxiety and panic not so much I think my body is still immune to it but I pleaded with my pdoc to put me back on it after I had a year and half break from it thinking it would help me the same. Anyway if  your over 20 yrs old I wouldn't worry and just take the pill and for your sake I hope it helps you as much as it helped me : ) good luck and if you wanna talk off this my email is crystal19mc@***** STAY WELL and positive vibes sent your way
Bookmark and Share
we have to be there for eachother ;)

Offline crystalclear81

• Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 03:40:04 AM »
hmm don't know why it blocks email address but its the one almost everyone has beginning with hot and ending with the usual lol
Bookmark and Share
we have to be there for eachother ;)

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 09:28:02 PM »
Thank you all sooooo very much. I realize that I can't let my fear overcome my need to try and get better. I am going to start taking the med on Monday( hopefully I will be over this cold.)

I do see the doctor in a few weeks to discuss how the meds are going, so if I feel bad or anything I will bring it up.

Thank you all again!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline CrazyCatLady

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 10:10:45 AM »
I thought I'd chime in since I'd been on Effexor XR for ~5 years and was recently put back on it (albeit now the generic form) about 2.5 months ago. When I went off them the first time, I experienced very minor effects. Of course everybody is different, like previous posters have already stated. However, it's worth giving it a shot if it makes you feel better.
Bookmark and Share

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 11:42:31 AM »
Thank you CCL. I won't know until I try. Since I already feel awful with anxiety, trying a new med may help me. I need to start thinking about the positive what-ifs, rather than the negative ones.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: