Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Does Palinopsia (afterimages, trails) get worse?  (Read 725 times)

Offline Noclip1

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Does Palinopsia (afterimages, trails) get worse?
« on: January 09, 2014, 07:05:59 PM »
First I want to say that I really used to be hypochondriac when I was around 9 or 10. I first thought I had a stroke or Brain cancer as one of my mom's friend had a stroke and passed away and my teacher had brain cancer. I then associated weird feelings in my body with these illnesses and freaked out alot. In grade 9, I freaked out about my eye so much as I had double vision (due to eye strain and too much video game at some point so nothing serious) although it first started in grade 6 and in grade 9, I was constantly checking to see if it gets worse and basically desired perfection in my eyes and I would always go hunting for halos, glares and any other imperfections. That's when I developed visual trails which scared the crap out of me and I did see the ophthalmologist twice and nothing was found. In grade 9 summer is where I worried the most in pretty much my whole life and was constantly looking for my visual trails. I went online a lot to find out about it and I saw that it was associated with positive and negatve afterimages as well so I began to look for them and I actually started seeing those afterimages after I looked for them. This happened in the end of grade 9 summer and I am now in grade 12 and have 20/20 vision. Nothing got worse at all as I coped with it in the end of grade 9. Now in grade 12, I just became worried that will it get worse? Or is it just brought up by hypervigillance and worrying about your vision too much.

btw I know that these symptoms are associated with snow but I don't really see static and I'm reassured that many people had these symptoms and came out negative in brain scans. I'm just worried about it getting worse. I mean it hasn't at all when I wasn't paying attention to it in the last 3 years but now the worry struck me again.

Other info: I never took any street drugs or medications. I exercise everyday, eat healthy and I actually have a happy life but sometimes this hypochondria strikes me (first time in 3 years). I also used to always focus on my vision to see if things will get worse or if things seem out of the ordinary.
Bookmark and Share

Offline BuzzBee1

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Does Palinopsia (afterimages, trails) get worse?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 07:30:51 PM »
Hi Noclip,

Welcome to the forum.  You are now a member of our community, where you will find support and advice from other members in similar situations.   It's always nice to find someone else who understands, and to know you're not alone.

We have sections in the forum that address specific concerns, so feel free to post or start a new topic in the section that best fits your situation.  Feel free to explore the rest of the forum.  You may find the other topics helpful, and you may be able to offer advice or support to someone else.

Noclip, many people with anxiety suffer from visual issues.  I'm sure you will find help and support here.

Good luck to you and again, welcome to AZ.

Buzzy
Bookmark and Share

Offline Noclip1

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 04:27:59 PM »
Well thanks. I will check them out.
Bookmark and Share

Offline cmb0084

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 12:22:31 AM »
The same thing happened to me! Started being super hypervigelent to my eyes! I started looking for things and started self testing constantly. Now I suffer from after images, recently trails, and very mild " visual snow ". I only see it in the dark really.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Noclip1

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 06:11:58 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Did your trails/afterimages come before or after the visual snow? I'm scared of getting snow.
Bookmark and Share