Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Scary sensation all the way from my throat to my stomach. :(  (Read 156 times)

Offline treadstone

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
    • Poke This Member
Scary sensation all the way from my throat to my stomach. :(
« on: January 09, 2014, 10:29:13 AM »
Hi, everyone. I'm due to finally start therapy in a couple of weeks - I've had undiagnosed H.A. for over a year now - but in the nick of time something has come up to mess with me. My data - 26 year old male, 210 pounds.

Last night I was on the computer when I started to feel these extremely disconcerting sensations in my neck, chest, and upper abdomen. It's extremely hard to describe what it felt like, but a mental image of what was happening stuck in my head. I'm sure this isn't what it actually looks like but it's what it feels like: http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/43/iqih.png

I'm a bad artist, even moreso using a mouse, but essentially it feels like some sort of body pipe (esophagus? windpipe to lungs? blood vessel?) goes from being a smooth circle to being covered in weird bristly spikes that start to bristle and jab against each other. I could also describe the pain as 'shards of glass' or like little sharp fishbones pressing against tissues inside my neck and chest.

What saved me from running to the hospital last night was the fact that the pain was not a dull crushing one - ruling out heart attack, or so I hope - and I was still able to breathe alright. Moving my head about from side to side and up and down also caused the pain to change in intensity, so I figured it wasn't anything super awful. However, breathing, talking, and coughing felt very uncomfortable for a good while. My anxiety was also pretty unbearable during this.

All in all, the worst of it lasted about an hour. I still feel very weird. I'm wondering what this could have been. Thanks, everyone.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Scary sensation all the way from my throat to my stomach. :(
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 01:53:34 PM »
Acid Reflux. Its truly miserable. Its when acid backs up from your stomach, up to your throat. it creates weird sensations, not like normal pain, but definitely uncomfortable and disturbing. Usually has a bitter taste in your mouth. It feels much different from having to throw up, which is what confused me about it at first. It will usually do this repeatedly, seemingly for no reason, for an hour or so. Stress makes it worse, as do certain foods.

Chewable antacid tablets tend to reduce it in a few minutes. After you see it working so fast, you'll know what it was and it wont worry you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline treadstone

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
    • Poke This Member
Re: Scary sensation all the way from my throat to my stomach. :(
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 11:17:22 AM »
Hi Luna.

Thanks for your post. Unfortunately, I don't think it's GERD. I've been dealing with GERD for a couple years now and I'm currently on a three-month course of Dexilant. I've grown familiar with what my reflux feels like and this isn't it. :/

It's now been a day and a half of feeling this way. Sometimes it hurts to breathe deeply, and I still feel all sorts of scary sensations in my chest and stomach. I almost called 911 at one point. It feels truly miserable. I wish I could afford to see a doctor.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: