Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Tinnitus ringing is getting on my nerves  (Read 356 times)

Offline EmmanuelGonzo

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Tinnitus ringing is getting on my nerves
« on: January 08, 2014, 10:53:35 PM »
I seem to get three types of tinnitus, sometimes all at once.  There is the constant one that sounds like the faucet is barley on, that high pitch sound,  but it isn't even in my ears,  I hear it as if it is inside my head.  The other two that happens on and off are a void sound(it's like no sound at all, but yet loud).  And the last is a roaring sound like Im too close to the freeway that only happens when I wake up in the middle of the night.  I'm just so frustrated about, it probably isn't, but can a brain tumor causes these?  Otherwise it seems like a problem I'm going to have to deal with forever.  And it's just driving me crazy  :angry:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Venomsoar

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Tinnitus ringing is getting on my nerves
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 12:07:17 AM »
I have tinnitus. I am only 21, which it is usually uncommon for people of my age to get tinnitus. Mine was caused by excess sound pressure. Apparently, putting your ear up against a sub woofer can damage it  :spineyes:

Like you, I have various different tones - but they are constant. They are more obvious when it is quiet and when I focus on it.

Anxiety can cause tinnitus - fact!

I don't want to worry you, and bare in mind that I am in no way a doctor, but there is a type of brain tumour (but it is benign) called an acoustic neuroma which can cause tinnitus. But there a load of other symptoms that you would experience too. Not only that, but because it is a slow growing tumour, it would take a considerable amount of time to grow to a size to cause other symptoms associated with intracranial pressure (headaches, blurry vision, vertigo etc.) and I don't think tinnitus alone should be a cause for concern - other than the fact that persistent ringing can obviously cause stress and frustration.

If your tinnitus is caused by your anxiety, I wouldn't worry at all and it may (not definitely) fade away. If it is caused by actual damage through long term exposure to loud music, although this can be distressing, I have it and I am over the stress; but I would suggest protecting your ears from now on (if this is the cause).

Based on the fact that you not only describe different frequencies, but you also experience different sounds at different times? This tells me that it is shifting more to a symptom of anxiety than that of a benign brain tumour.

If you think you need to, get it checked out to definitely rule out any serious causes - but I wouldn't try to worry about it too much if I were you. It is most likely going to be fine and no cause for concern. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dje

• Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 02:04:59 AM »
I have tinnitus as well. It's in my left ear, but can seem more left-central at times. I believe it was caused by grinding my teeth (bruxism) at night. On the side that has the ringing I have clicking/popping in the jaw when I open and close my mouth. The bruxism is worse during periods of increased stress and anxiety, which I'm going through now due to other health issues.

For me the tinnitus is definitely more noticeable and bothersome when it's quiet, particularly late at night. I sleep with a small fan on year round to help drown out the tinnitus. It's one of those things that you can be completely distracted from or your mind can be completely focused on, which then makes it more bothersome.

When I first developed it I read about a particular form of biofeedback to treat it. Something about repeatedly listening to certain sound frequencies which helps train your brain to cancel out the tinnitus frequency. Pretty cool.

Consider having it looked into if you haven't already. At least for peace of mind. Worrying, stressing, experiencing anxiety over it is no good. I've made the mistake, numerous times, of waiting when I was experiencing certain symptoms and the stress and anxiety made me sick.

P.S. Reading your post has me noticing my tinnitus. ;D
Bookmark and Share

Offline EmmanuelGonzo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 02:22:37 AM »
I"m sorry Dje.  I would hate to add suffering to the world.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dje

• Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 02:34:17 AM »
I"m sorry Dje.  I would hate to add suffering to the world.

I made the comment in jest. No added suffering.

I've had tinnitus for so long that for the most part it's a non-issue for me. I hope that it can some day be for you as well. Good health to you. :nature-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: