Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Weird things that give me anxiety  (Read 312 times)

Offline ericdrobertson

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Weird things that give me anxiety
« on: January 08, 2014, 12:25:25 PM »
I have always been a deep thinker which is what probably led to my GAD. That and the fact that I am predisposed through my family genetics. Just wanted to know if anyone else shared thee triggers. Thinking about morality and being afraid of losing it. Existential subjects even though I am a Christian my faith has been severely damaged by GAD.  And question about things I don't understand like how light works and why we do things the way we do and how technology works and is so smart. Can anyone relate ?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Teran

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Weird things that give me anxiety
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 04:42:42 PM »
Hello Eric,
I actually can very cloey relate to how you feel about the existential nature of existance. I find that I too am very unsettle by concepts that I do not understand. I find that most of it is just me battleing with my clinical depression and anxiety. I personally try to accept the fact that I cannot possibly have all the answers. It helps some times, but most I find myself obsessing over what I will never understand.(quantum theory, the reason of existance, and so on.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ericdrobertson

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 09:27:23 PM »
Thanks Teran, it helps to know I'm not alone with mybdeep thinking! Best of luck to you!
Bookmark and Share

Online Venomsoar

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 12:27:41 AM »
Thinking of death obviously causes anxiety - but I am an atheist so this should come as no surprise since I suspect that being dead is very much like what it was before I was bornů i.e. there was no brain to even think.

As human beings, it is completely natural for us to think of the things you think of - it is called Philosophy. I would suggest that rather than seeing this as something negative, you should be thankful that you have the ability to ponder such questions and think of it as a blessing. Call it a blessing from God or whatever you want - you have it.

In my opinion, the kind of things you are thinking about, is the only conversations that are worth having during our experience - regardless of what the end result is - or even IF there is an end result. These are the topics that are the most important ones of all topics.

There are a variety of questions I think about all the time - and it should be encouraged. To question everything is by definition what being a scientist is all about. The worse thing for you to do is not to think or take drugs to prevent thought - and the worse thing for you to do is not question and blindly accept anything.

Keep questioning; keep thinking and don't think that this is something that is abnormal or unnatural - it is as natural and normal as can be.

Bookmark and Share

Offline turbomunkey

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 11:17:07 PM »
I know where you are coming from. Also a Christian. My issues started about 6 months ago when I was deeply pondering on aspects of life and it caused me to go into a super panic attack. I sunk into such a deep state of derealization and depression I thought I was at the end of my rope

Here I am 6 months later. Things have gotten significantly better but these questions still cross my mind on a daily basis and can sweep me off my feet. In fact, today I had a panic attack and had to pop a xanax. I am still upset about that and feeling glum.

I dont know where I am to go from here because it seems I can not come to terms with these things.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Quetzal828

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 03:31:15 PM »
I can definitely relate. I'm also a Christian with GAD and my anxiety has really impacted my faith over the years. I go through periods where I get trapped in a profoundly negative view of the world and think that perhaps faith is just something we use to cope with how awful reality is. This tends to lead to an intense downward spiral of fear, depression and despair. I even have a theology degree, but that doesn't help much when I start to have doubts and get stuck in a rut.

It's helped me to recognize that those doubts/existential fears are spawned by anxiety, not reason or logic or evidence. I've also realized that anxiety gives me a profound intolerance of uncertainty (or things I perceive as uncertain). Striving for certainty is a futile quest that will lead nowhere. The only thing we can be certain of is that uncertainty is a core part of the human experience. Learning to accept uncertainty -- and freeing myself to simply do my best based on what I think I know and believe -- has given me some relief from the paralyzing fear of the unknown.

I've also found that it helps immensely to spend 10-15 minutes every day praying, reflecting on my faith and grounding myself, focusing on hope and beauty rather than negativity. The things we choose to think about and focus on can shape the course of our lives. It can help immensely to simply let go of the troubling uncertainties and existential questions we have. Sometimes I imagine those thoughts/fears/obsessions turning into bubbles and simply floating up and away, beyond my reach. If I'm feeling really down, I'll also watch Lord of the Rings -- for me, that movie (and the books) seems to perfectly capture the fundamental hope and beauty in life despite its horrors.

One other book that's helped me is Greg Boyd's "Benefit of the Doubt." It's a personal and theological reflection on how we can accept doubts and use them to deepen our faith, not shatter it. I highly recommend it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Caleb

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 08:22:18 PM »
 :yes:   Eric these <reality> problems really bothered me once upon a time.  (When I was having a really bad time.) And my dr talked me down from a lot of it.

The Boyd book sounds good, will see if they have it where I am.  The Buddha -- as we all have read -- would sometimes respond to a question by saying, "That does not lend to edification."  And simply ignore it.  I think I have seen modern philosophers a time or two step away from a question and say "that is not the point," and even hint the question actually starts down some useless alley. 

(Reminded here of one writer's idea of philos as therapy -- Wittgenstein.)  He'd be a good example of someone saying, "Where will that get you?"

I don't mean to say that I avoid every thought that starts to make me uneasy.  I am just more organized about it, and spread the inquiry out over time.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: