Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: If I could just get this under control...  (Read 249 times)

Offline Fallingpieces

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
If I could just get this under control...
« on: January 08, 2014, 09:50:49 AM »
So my phobia with having a medical staff member check my blood pressure has turned into a phobia of stepping into the building. The cause of my anxiety is: they don't understand my anxiety. They will pop in to check my blood pressure, ill worry that its gonna shoot up dramatically high. Ill worry about their reaction because i know they dont understand. I fight my thoughts and fears even though i try not to. As a result my bp shoots up. Then they 'ha' and 'hem' over how high it is.

Yesterday i fought getting myself worked up. I imagined inhaling soft pink and soft blue colored clouds and exhaling black. I breathed. The first take was actually pretty good. 130/110. The sys is usually WAY higher than that. Anyway they kept taking it to get a better reading and naturally it went up higher and hogher. I wanted to leave, but i didnt.  I explained to dr riano, who is a very kind and personable doctor that the issue was anxiety and that im not afraid of her or of treatment, but it's the checking of blood pressure and that i know its silly, but that's what it is. Of course she's a dentist not a paychiatrist, so despite my explanation, she tried to assure me that the treatment was simple and i wouldnt feel a thing.

Ive generally stopped feeling anxious every day. This whole issue started when i was displaced and under a lot of stress 4 years ago. I had a major panic attack that lasted less than a minute. I didnt know what it was and it took me a year to figure out that's what had happened to me. No doctor ever said that's what it was. I researched on my own. Afterward i had general anxiety and physical symptoms every day. I read books and talked to a psychiatrist for a short time and figured out how to help myself. The physical symptoms of anxiety that i had when this first became an issue have gone away, because i know what they are. Claire weekes' book has done wonders. It's just this one thing i really want to go away. I just want to feel numb. Id really rather not feel anything. Im tired and i want it to go away!!!
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: If I could just get this under control...
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 01:37:53 PM »
What exactly is the worry of having something so simple done? It is probably one of the few things you never feel any pain with at all. As a rule we tell people not to buy gadgets for measure BP and the likes. But in your case it might help. Or if you know anybody who can loan you one. First just get used to the feel of it. The touch. See how harmless it is. I am sure you can find a friend who may let you use on them first. I know some people feel uneasy as it inflates and you can feel the arm go a bit cold at times. Just to get used to feel of such a device. Then to use one on a friend. Small steps. Until you feel at ease. Then you can wrap it round your own arm to begin with. You don't even have to use it that first try. Just get used to the feel of it on your arm. Or wrist. I think the ones you buy you use much like a watch. The fit on your wrist. Just take it step by step. Then the big day will come. The first test on yourself. You will be in full control here. No nurse. No doctor. Just you. The reading may be high if you are anxious. But this would be my whole approach. Get used to the whole thing in your own time. In your own home. You will see it is harmless and maybe it will make visits to the doctor that little bit easier on you.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Fallingpieces

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 11:43:09 AM »
What exactly is the worry of having something so simple done? It is probably one of the few things you never feel any pain with at all. As a rule we tell people not to buy gadgets for measure BP and the likes. But in your case it might help. Or if you know anybody who can loan you one. First just get used to the feel of it. The touch. See how harmless it is. I am sure you can find a friend who may let you use on them first. I know some people feel uneasy as it inflates and you can feel the arm go a bit cold at times. Just to get used to feel of such a device. Then to use one on a friend. Small steps. Until you feel at ease. Then you can wrap it round your own arm to begin with. You don't even have to use it that first try. Just get used to the feel of it on your arm. Or wrist. I think the ones you buy you use much like a watch. The fit on your wrist. Just take it step by step. Then the big day will come. The first test on yourself. You will be in full control here. No nurse. No doctor. Just you. The reading may be high if you are anxious. But this would be my whole approach. Get used to the whole thing in your own time. In your own home. You will see it is harmless and maybe it will make visits to the doctor that little bit easier on you.

Thanks for reiterating how silly it is to be afraid of such a simple thing. I already know it's harmless and painless. Everyone knows that. But that's what a phobia entails, right? I have a bp cuff at home and use it reasonably well. I said earlier it's having someone in the doctor's office check it that makes me anxious.
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 05:59:52 AM »
And what is it exactly about having another person do it that makes you feel anxious? Do you feel you might catch something from them? Not like other people touching you? Or is it just been in the enclosed space of a small room that has you on edge.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Tags: