Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: A Suggestion for Pulse Checkers  (Read 453 times)

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
A Suggestion for Pulse Checkers
« on: January 08, 2014, 06:21:06 AM »
As someone who worries about my heart I had a tendency to check my pulse anytime I don't feel 100%; as we all know that act alone can sometimes cause your pulse to rise and set off a downward spiral.  To hide it from my wife and coworkers I would actually sit with my elbow on the desk/table and my head resting on my hand (with a thumb on the pulse in my neck) so it looked like I was just sitting with my head in my hand but I was actually taking my pulse - lol

Anyway, anytime I felt even remotely poorly or had some minor ache/pain I took my pulse and would get freaked out.  I tried not taking my pulse and could go a couple of days but then would revert back.  So I eventually came up with a different approach to try and end this stupid and pointless waste of time.  In addition to taking my pulse when I felt poorly, I would also take it when I felt great and had no anxiety at all and no reason to want to check my pulse. 

Walk up a flight of stairs with no chest pain or shortness of breath - take the pulse and see what its doing.  Eat a big meal and feel fine?  Take the pulse anyway - its beating faster.  Stuff like that.

What I was hoping for, and what I really already knew and found to be true, is that even when you feel great, you'll find your heart beating faster/slower.  Its not like your heart beats a perfect 72 BPM (my average) until something goes wrong then it changes like some early warning sign of danger - its always changing its BPM to adjust to whatever your body is doing and/or needs. 

After about a month of checking it when I felt good, I began to get less concerned about taking it when I felt poorly because I had educated myself, with evidence I couldn't deny, to understand that its always changing whether I felt good or bad.  For me this has made a HUGE difference and I now don't taking my pulse anywhere near as much as I used to only because I've come to realize that these little spikes/valleys that we feel when we don't feel 100% are just part of the normal rhythm of what is supposed to happen.

Lastly, when you do take your pulse, "throw away" the first couple of beats you feel.  When I would first feel my pulse I would often freak because it would seem fast/slow whatever, but we need to keep in mind that its constantly beating and we're jumping in randomly so that 1st beat you feel could be the start of a new beat (which initially makes it seem fast) or just after a beat (which makes it seem slow because now your in the rest) and generally makes it feel like its not beating with regularity.  I counted 5 beats that I would "throw away" no matte how fast/slow they felt then I would take my pulse for 15 seconds and use that figure.

Anyway, this helped me maybe it will help someone else.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
Re: A Suggestion for Pulse Checkers
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 06:32:28 AM »
Can I add in, my one and only suggestion to pulse checkers is to throw the pulse checking device in the bin. That would be all I would have to say to them.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Bryer

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 10:35:00 PM »
Sorry, I'm new here - I'm not sure if there are any unwritten rules to 'what to post where', but I was wondering if I could ask you a question? :)

I find that I've been checking my pulse a lot lately, and just recently my neck has begun to feel sore - especially the area where I put my fingers to check.

Is this something that will go away with time, or should I get it checked out?
Bookmark and Share

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 06:14:05 AM »
If you stop taking your pulse there it should stop hurting. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 09:37:58 AM »
I always use my wrist.  If I'm in public and like you said, "feel off"  I would put my left hand on the back of my right one and stick my thumb up my sleeve to my pulse.   Funny though, my daughter already knows that trick and if she sees me doing that will look at me, roll her eyes and say, "Come on!"  What always concerns me is when I think I am having a panic attack or anxiety attack or feel anxious and then go to feel my pulse it's going at a normal rate!   Then I think, "Oh no!  It CAN'T be anxiety because my heart is normal!"  Ya can't win!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 06:40:52 AM »
Why are you guys using your thumb to check pulses? Ask a doctor this, NEVER use the thumb, always keep your thumb off your arm to get a correct reading since the thumb has it's own pulse it will be wrong or double, always use your other fingers but never a thumb

I don't know about the other person, but I always use my fingers at home or when no one is around - it's when I'm WITH someone or in public with people that could SEE me that it's more discreet to use the thumb. Since you can put your hand on top of your other one or fold your hands, and slide the thumb up the sleeve.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: