Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Anyone tried CBT therapy?  (Read 449 times)

Offline Betty1979

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anyone tried CBT therapy?
« on: January 08, 2014, 04:55:06 AM »
I have a docs appointment tomorrow as I really want to overcome this anxiety. I'm on 20mg of citralopram a day but I don't see this as a long term fix. I am going to talk to my doc about referring me for CBT therapy as I heard this can be good for anxiety. Anyone ever tried it?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anyone tried CBT therapy?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 06:30:55 AM »
Most people on the forum have probably tried it at one point or another. It is all about belief more than anything else. Your belief that you can change things by thinking in a different way. Making a few changes to your life. I liked it. If I am to be honest it more common sense thinking. As it stands you feel a twinge and think ' No. What is wrong with me '. With the help of CBT you won't think that any more. You will tell yourself it is only a twinge, I have had it before and it was nothing bad. Thus changing a negative thought into a positive thought. The more you learn how to do this, the better you will feel about yourself. So if used right it can give you that feel good factor about your whole life. Parting of it can be about setting challenges for yourself. If the therapist is any good that is. I don't like therapists that make you just sit there and talk. I could talk to walls in my bedroom. They have to make you do things as well. In order for it to work as it should work. Some people find it hard. Others have failed early because they didn't believe in themselves. That they could do what they were asked to do. At other times it can be all about facing up to your worst fears. That frightens people at times. Trust me, if used right, it can be a life changer.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline anxiousa

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 07:11:43 AM »
I tried it and I can honestly say it turned my life around

I had dehabilitating anxiety - it liturly ruled my life, every second of every day was torture,

I tried everything (drugs as natural) and finally CBT, i was with my therapist once a week for about 6 weeks then cut back to every fortnight for about a month and all of a sudden I realised I didn't need to go back!

While attending the sessions I remember thinkin that I was wasting time and money, I couldn't understand how her techniques worked but through time I noticed a drastic change, and all of a sudden my life was back on track.
I used to visit this website several times a day but today is my first time back in months, anxiety isn't a part of my life anymore.

I truely believe that  CBT was the reason. You can look on my profile at my old posts and see how bad I once was and now that's just a distant memory. Of course every now and again I feel the odd feeling of anxiety but it always passes, CBt tought me to think and act differently about those feelings

I highly recommend it. Feel free to Pm f u want any more info!! I really hope it works as well for u as it did for me xxx
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 08:24:32 AM »
Now I am always curious about how a therapist approaches CBT because I learned and practice it on my own. As I see it CBT is a reconditioning of the mind and our thinking. We must be proactive by thinking, reading, writing, exercising, meditating. The mind easily reverts to old ways. So it does not seem to be a permanent "fix." An athlete has to keep exercising, a dieter must continue to diet.

In my experience CBT always requires time, effort, patience, attention. It can be a pillar of strength and hope.
Bookmark and Share

Offline atleswoolf

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 08:28:45 AM »
I'm in CBT right now, with a therapist who works with people with health anxiety and OCD.  He and I are working through the book OVERCOMING HEALTH ANXIETY, by Owens and Antony, at the moment, and it seems to be helping me.  It's a lot of work, I'll warn you, and you must be prepared for getting somewhere, and then backsliding...getting somewhere, and then backsliding again...but it ultimately feels as though it'll be worth it.  You must also be prepared (if you're going to use a book like the one I mentioned above, which is one of only two or three on the topic) to do a lot of digging into yourself and your past, and doing a lot of writing -- CBT asks that you keep a journal, a log of your thoughts and behaviors, etc.  But I believe that if you're willing to put the work in, you'll get results.  (See also my other thread about reassurance-seeking as an addiction, which is something that I'm currently working on this week with my therapist.)  Good luck!
Bookmark and Share
I meant to write about death, only life came breaking in as usual.  -- Virginia Woolf, Diary, 17 February 1922.

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 08:46:46 AM »
Thank you for joining in and sharing your experience. As you say, it is a lot of work, there is backsliding, we must dig into ourself, our past, how that affects our present. There is journaling which can be quite wonderful. It requires a willingness to devote time and effort and also to moderate expectations. I've included Yoga, Tai Chi, and Meditation as almost a daily requirement for me.

Over the long haul it can be quite effective. There can be days when I may feel as if I'm back at square one. Never mind. Pick myself up and go on. One step back, two forward.
Bookmark and Share

Offline atleswoolf

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 06:58:23 PM »
I've managed to spend the entire day basically off this site (which I use for reassurance) and have not asked a single person about my symptoms, and tried to avoid thinking about them, myself.  Hasn't always been easy, but it's been a better day than most, I guess.  CBT principles in action. :)
Bookmark and Share
I meant to write about death, only life came breaking in as usual.  -- Virginia Woolf, Diary, 17 February 1922.

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 07:22:51 AM »
This shows the positive potential of CBT. The good part about working with a therapist is that he/she can tailor it to individual needs.

Over time our faulty thinking is corrected. The TEA form (Thinking, Error, Analysis).
Bookmark and Share

Tags: