Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Eye Twitching that won't stop!!!  (Read 319 times)

Offline 123anxious123

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Eye Twitching that won't stop!!!
« on: January 07, 2014, 09:06:30 PM »
I have had an eye twitch for almost two weeks now and have convinced myself I have the beginning stages of hemofacial spasm now because I am completely anxious when it comes to my health.  I had Bell's Palsy almost ten years ago, so anything at all that affects any nerve anywhere on my face I completely freak out.  I went to the eye doctor today who said he can't see anything eye wise to indicate the cause so he referred me to a neurologist.  Now I have to wait to go there.  Why can't I just be like a normal person and calm down instead of always thinking worse case scenario??  Has anyone else had a consistent eye twitch that turned out to be nothing.   As you know, I research incessantly - so, I am aware of the whole stress, sleep, caffeine thing... cut caffeine, have been getting plenty of sleep.  Started freaking when it wouldn't go away. Thanks for listening.
Bookmark and Share

Online crikee57

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Eye Twitching that won't stop!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 03:06:35 AM »
Hi 123anxious123,

Welcome to the forum.  It is great to have you as a member.  This is a wonderful place to get advice and support from people going through similar situations.  The members here are very helpful. It is nice to know we are not alone.

Feel free to explore the forum.  There are lots of useful topics to read.  Feel free to post and ask questions.  If you have specific concerns or questions start a topic in the appropriate section to get the best feedback. There is also a chat room for members 18 years and older that you can access once you have made three meaningful posts in the forum. 

I have also had eye twitches that have gone on for weeks.  Recently I had one that lasted over a month.  It has subsided now.  Anxiety and stress are the main reasons for eye twitches according to my opthamologist. Getting it checked out is not a bad idea and may help put your mind at ease.  However I think your eye twitch will resolve itself if you try and accept that it is anxiety and nothing more. 

Again welcome to our community.
Bookmark and Share
It's not what's in front of us that stops us.  It's what's inside that holds us back.

Offline psychopika

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Whatever doesn't kill you fucks you up mentally
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 05:39:30 AM »
My brother had an eye twitch that went on for many months, every single day. It was anxiety, when he reduced his stress, the twitch disappeared.
Bookmark and Share

Offline 123anxious123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 01:29:39 PM »
Thank you both!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 02:33:39 PM »
I had twitching in my left triceps that lasted for a month. Eye twitching is even more common, both induced by anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline fannyanxious

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 04:33:29 PM »
I have had this in the past, on a number of occasions spanning 15 years or so. The first couple of times it happened  I was really worried but have concluded that it happens when I am tired and stressed. It hasn't happened to me for a few years now but when it was a problem it never got worse or turned into anything bad, so I think you'll be fine too. It can be very disconcerting, especially when it goes on for weeks but try to accept it and relax (I know it seems impossible sometimes) but if its stress related then worrying about it won't make it stop :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline 123anxious123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 12:03:55 AM »
You guys are sweet. It is getting worse and worse and I know I just have to calm down!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dje

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 01:21:08 AM »
I've experienced eye twitches as well as twitches in various muscles. I use to get a tiny twitch in my right quad quite frequently. I think at the time they occurred I had things going in my life to take my mind off of them, particularly playing sports. I attributed them to either stress, anxiety, or muscle use from sports. I know once a thought gets in your head it's tough to block it out, which then perpetuates the anxiety-symptom cycle. Try to find something fun or even a repetitive task to take your mind off of it. Something as simple as washing the dishes can help. For me it was sports. The combination of physical activity, having to be alert, being in the moment was the best thing for my stress and anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 6
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 08:19:50 AM »
This may sound silly, but I get eye twitches and am relived by them because it allows to me say "Ahh!  My anxiety is really kicking up so I can down play all my other symptoms"  Weird but they actually make me feel better and that helps to calm me down.
Bookmark and Share

Offline alphamuomega

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 08:40:59 AM »
i feel the same way patmob, when my left i twitches it reminds me i am having another attack and all my other symptoms start to relax, it gives you something to fight your anxiety with, which would be logic, and we all lose it when we get an attack we start connecting the dots to completely ridiculous things, its like a slap across the face that brings you back to reality.

your not alone this 123anxious123, so try not to worry about it relax and have fun go outside and do something or talk to a friend.

you may also need glasses i know my eyes twitched a lot before i got my glasses now they have stop and i feel better, also had headaches etc, but my eyes always twitch when i have an attack even when i think about it, so just relax and put something fun and happy on your mind.

also welcome to the anxiety zone you will find a lot of support here for anything that ills you. :)

if you ever need to talk to someone or just to be reassured your okay feel free to talk to me.

take care :)

~alpha

:happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline 123anxious123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 12:11:40 AM »
You guys are the best!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline threnners

• Leaping to the worst conclusion in a single bound!
  • Anxiety Girl
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 01:50:28 AM »
I get them when my magnesium is low.    A multivitamin may help.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: