Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: new to zoloft....questions  (Read 247 times)

Offline edosmonsterink

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
new to zoloft....questions
« on: January 07, 2014, 07:13:53 PM »
So ive been suffering from panic disorder for about 6 months now.this last month I finally was put on zoloft 50mg. And hydroxy-zinepam 25mg. As a benzo. So I have been On zoloft for the first week of 25mg And now im on day 7 and just upped it today and switched to mornings. While taking zoloft at night I was sleeping real bad with bad dreams and waking up at like 430 am and couldnt go backto bed. Anywaysi still feel very anxtious and dizzzy more then ever. Ive been reading thatwhile taking zoloft my anxiety levels are gonna get ten times worse before it gets better. How long does it usually take tokick in. Im feeling scared and alone. I have xanax but have not used them yet. Dont know if I should ? I just want to get better as it has taken its toll on my life, job and relationship.  No one understands how I feel. Dizzy dizzy dizzy, head fog, cant focus, panicking, cant stand for long periods of times. Weird outer body experience like hands feel like there not mine.  Im just wanting to know if everything im feeling is normal and I am not going insane ?! Ive been taking my meds and just feeling worse.....
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 100
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: new to zoloft....questions
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 07:53:31 PM »
Im just wanting to know if everything im feeling is normal and I am not going insane ?! Ive been taking my meds and just feeling worse...

Yes, your symptoms are typical of both anxiety and also of the common SSRI side-effects. It can take 3-12 weeks for an antidepressant to kick-in, though the side-effects should diminish sooner.

I have xanax but have not used them yet. Dont know if I should ?

Why not if it's been prescribed for you? It is likely to be more effective than hydroxyzine. With a bit of luck your symptoms will disappear within an hour or so.

If insomnia continues to be an issue ask your doctor to prescribe a small dose of trazodone. This is a very sedating antidepressant which these days is mostly prescribed for SSRI induced insomnia and is usually very effective. It only becomes an antidepressant at doses above 150-225mg/day so won't interfere with the Zoloft. At lower doses it is just an antihistamine much like hydroxyzine, but more powerful though without the anti anxiety properties.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Stressed Jumper

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 08:45:09 AM »
Hello,
I had a similar experience when I started on Zoloft a few months ago.  Once I got to my therapeutic dose it took about 3 weeks before the start up side effects began to go away.  I had crazy insomnia, wacky nightmares, through-the-roof anxiety, nausea, sweating, the whole shebang.  With the help of the folks on this site and a great and very understanding doc I stuck it out and am very glad I did since I now feel better than I have in years.  One thing my doc made very clear to me was that Xanax was my friend during the start up and to not be afraid to use it (this was my first time on meds so I was initially reluctant)..boy am I glad I listened!  It really made the difference between unpleasant but manageable and intolerable anxiety in those first few weeks.  Otherwise everything insights said is right on point.  Hang in there!

P.S. In my case the nightmares and insomnia went away but I still have very vivid dreams...personally I think they are kind of fun (I had one where I was a tight-rope walking instructor and was trying to teach one of my clients who happens to have awful balance) and my husband laughs himself silly when I tell him about them in the morning!
Bookmark and Share

Offline edosmonsterink

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 02:24:54 PM »
Thank you. Its a good feeling not feeling like I am alone and the onky one going through this. Im sticking with it and gonna keep a positive mindset . I still wake up real panicking. And dizzy. I cant wait to just feel normal again. God bless u all
Bookmark and Share

Tags: zoloft