Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Migraines - I promised i'd stop this - Help would be lovely!  (Read 238 times)

Offline Dayvid

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Migraines - I promised i'd stop this - Help would be lovely!
« on: January 07, 2014, 04:50:19 PM »
Hey guys. - I know... i always post about my eyes/vision..

I've had migraine with aura for about 12/13 years (22 now). They've come and gone but never left.. I can go months without one. And then struggle to go a week at times. I'm in the latter stage right now after having a lovely 2 months free. - do yours come in clusters?

I've had 4 in a month which isn't a lot for some... and for me it's not unusual... but it's quite a few!

The problem i have is STROKE RISK. I google. Yes. Google - I'm that stupid. But the science is there, kinda. And it freaks me out beyond belief.

There's an increased risk in stroke (0.04 to 0.08) and also heart disease/attacks. Well... i know it sounds small. But my grandmother died of a heart attack. As did my father back in 2004.  - So i'm sat here thinking it's a sure fire thing that one of the above will happen to me - if not via genetics, then my migraine will help too. My grandmother and father both smoked rather heavily which may have caused theirs... who knows.

Personally, i have never smoked a cigarette. Never touched a drug. Never been near overweight and very rarely drink. - So you'd think i'd get over it... but i can't! I can't get passed my faulty genetics and my brain bashing migraine auras!! - At times i feel fine about it... others i feel like a ticking time bomb.

I know this may sound silly... i just wish i could stop them from increasing my risk of stroke etc any higher than it needs to be!

I'll be going to get my heart checked as i get in to my 30s i think - Sure it'll be scary but my dad died in his mid 50s... so it's probably best to make sure if it's genetic or not. I can see it now.. the fear when i get told it is... or even just waiting to be told. - Anyway, i'll cross that bridge when i come to it.

Please help me on a few things guys

Stroke Risk - Should i worry? I hear "the second biggest contributor" and freak out... is it that bad?
Heart and migraines - There seems to be a link. And, like with strokes, seems to affect women more (i'm male) but still.... the link scares me. It almost secures my belief i have dodgy DNA.

:(!

Thanks guys :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dayvid

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Migraines - I promised i'd stop this - Help would be lovely!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 04:52:09 PM »
By the way... i've been virtually worry free for about 3-4+ months too. Which has been great. And i'm controlling this much better too! Im finding myself saying "why bother worrying about something you can't change" - that's so not me... but maybe it's starting to be :)

I hope you're all doing well.. i don't want to come across as if it's all about me haha - You as a community have helped me through so much. I can't thank you all enough.
Bookmark and Share

Offline JunoX

• No One Rules If No One Obeys
  • Rec's: 17
  • Mood: Grumpy
    Grumpy
  • Where the mind goes, the body follows.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 05:47:37 PM »
Unfortunately, yes, migraines with aura are a stroke risk. I have them as well. Regardless, this isn't anything to worry about since they aren't a definitive precursor to a stroke. They are just a risk amongst many other risks we face daily. Constant stress and anxiety are also a risk for stroke and heart attacks.

I have controlled my migraine with aura very well by a diet change. Maybe that's something you may want to look into if you want to have less of them and lower any cardiovascular risks at the same time.
Bookmark and Share
The woods are lovely, dark and deep. 
But I have promises to keep, 
And miles to go before I sleep, 
And miles to go before I sleep.
~Robert Frost

Offline Dayvid

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 06:57:03 PM »
I know.. it's one of those things where i'm like "it could happen to anyone"

It's just i always go back to my family history and how... well, when i'm worrying, it doesn't look good.

I guess i'm lucky that i don't over eat, smoke, drink etc. So my risk shouldn't be too high (please God) but it's just knowing i am genetically more likely for this to happen to me.

:/

Thanks!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: migraine aura eyes Stroke Heart