Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Fear of Throwing Up  (Read 595 times)

Offline marpizza

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
  • Binding Infinity in a Nutshell
    • Poke This Member
Fear of Throwing Up
« on: January 07, 2014, 03:21:51 PM »
When I was 12 I got really sick and threw up constantly for an entire day. Ever since then, I've had a fear of throwing up. I didn't know it caused anxiety until 16 years later. I didn't know until last year that this fear had a name: emetophobia. I haven't thrown up in 16 years so I have no idea what it feels like when I'm about to throw up, but when I THINK I'm going to throw up I freak out. I think what I feel is just anxiety. I've changed my diet because whenever I get a stomach ache I think "this is it!" The first thought that crosses my mind before I eat something is, "Will this make me throw up?" It got so bad, that I stopped going out and when I do go out to eat I feel sick and I lose my appetite even though I was hungry before I got there.

No one understands my irrational fear of throwing up. They tell me to just get over it but it's not that simple. Because of this phobia I was put on anti-depressants because I had no idea what was wrong with me. I feel like maybe taking anti-depressants was the wrong way to go... perhaps I should have attacked the root of the problem first. Is anyone else with ametophobia taking anti depressants? I mean, I dont FEEL depressed... but I guess depression is different for everyone. I dunno :(
Bookmark and Share
"It feels like I'm raining and three apples are my stomach"

Offline xxAmyxx

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Fear of Throwing Up
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 08:02:32 PM »
I know exactly how you feel! My anxiety started after I had a stomach bug in the 3rd grade, ever since then I've had an intense fear of vomiting. I haven't vomited in over 20 years. My husband can't understand what the big deal is.
Bookmark and Share

Offline lmcmichael

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 02:22:25 PM »
I have this and have no idea how it originated. I have had it for as long as I can remember! It is a DAILY struggle with me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 15
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 05:56:55 PM »
Wow, sounds like me!!  And hey, the last time I threw up was March 1968!!  I recall every last detail of it - I was in school, first grade class, I remember we were writing 1's and 0's on yellow lined paper, I recall the teacher grabbing my hand trying to take me out of the class before I barfed, i recall I was wearing a brown dress with tiny white flowers on it...   if I think about it too long I start getting an anxiety attack!
I too am scared to eat certain things for fear of throwing up.  If I'm not quite sure it's fine I picture all bacteria in it waiting to attack...
so it's possible to go over 45 years without throwing up - that should at least give you some hope 
I think that day is when it originated because I don't recall being scared about it prior to that day.
I refuse to fly in an airplane, not because it will crash, not because of terrorism, but I am deathly afraid I'd get airsick.  I told my daughter, "But maybe I'd get lucky and the plane would crash before I'd get sick"  ;D
Bookmark and Share

Offline kristinsanxiety

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 10:05:40 PM »
Seems to be a common fear, I like throwing up when I'm not feeling well because it makes me feel better afterwards if that's comforting. It's not a horrible experience, more of a relief!  :-)
Bookmark and Share

Offline butterfly230691

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 05:33:26 PM »
I know exactly what your going through! Christmas 2012 i had a bad stomach bug and ever since then i've had a bad fear of being sick, strangely i was 21 when i developed this phobia (i'm 22 now) and loads of people have had it from a young age.
I would do anything not to have this phobia, i have crippling anxiety every single day, it is mentally exhausting, and i'm getting so down because of it, i have panic attacks over my phobia and experience loads of horrible anxiety symptoms :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Charlotte07

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 11:59:14 AM »
It is so good to know im not alone, It is also a daily struggle for myself. I worry about it every day and often nee my other half to tell me over and over again that I am fine if i have so much as a slightly loose bowl movement. I haven't been sick since I was little even though I have been around stomach bugs (freaked out constantly but thats the way i am) My other half is extremely understanding even though he doesn't share the same fears, I avoid all contact with people if i can but unfortunately I work in a shop where there is a shared element (people touching and handling and putting the item we sell in their mouths that I also have to do) - we sell electronic cigarettes and I have to test them to make sure they are all right. I always wipe them first but I worry so much i will catch something from them.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ARose318

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 07:09:18 AM »
I too suffer from this.

It was really bad years ago ... I would panic over the slightest nausea, loose bowel movement, etc. I would really panic when I knew someone who had the stomach bug, or when people would start posting about it on ***** and whatnot. I used to go to bed hungry just because I thought if I was hungry, I wouldn't get sick.

Then I got pregnant in 2012. I went through 14 weeks of morning sickness with mainly nausea but I threw up about 4-5 times. I was pretty proud of myself because I threw up, and continued on with my day. I was eventually given medication for my morning sickness that really helped.

I had my daughter in March of 2013 and I threw up once while in labor from contracting so bad. I got over it real quick and was stuffing my face once I delivered her because I was starved!

I def cannot say I'm cured ... because I still panic, but I feel it's def calmed down a lot since having a kid. Who knows how I'll be the first time she gets a stomach bug, I'm sure I'll be a wreck but it's just another thing I'll have to get through.

It does get easier if you learn to control your fear.
Bookmark and Share

Offline santos

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 07:14:50 PM »
I used to have a similar fear when i was younger..when i got on buses or trains i started to suddenly feel the want to be sick sensation..and my biggest fear was being sick in public or in a restaurant..but then i started going out..and people get drunk and sick all the time..thats when i realized nobody really cares about stuff like that
Bookmark and Share

Offline prettymission

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 03:53:21 AM »
I'm so scared of throwing up, last time I threw up was like 8 years ago...so I was maybe 11?
I thought I was the only one who was truly scared of throwing up but I guess not, I just can't stand the burning feeling in your throat and the pain in you stomach from urging.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: