Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Bupropion (Wellbutrin)  (Read 633 times)

Offline Bcollinsix

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Bupropion (Wellbutrin)
« on: January 07, 2014, 02:39:52 PM »
I was recently prescribed 75 mg of Wellbutrin for my anxiety and depression. My question is:

Did Wellbutrin work for you?

And, how long did it take for you to see results?

And If none of you have ever taking it, that's cool too, don't feel obligated to respond.
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 23
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Bupropion (Wellbutrin)
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 03:20:25 PM »
Hi "B"...

When I was first diagnosed four years ago with GAD and panic attacks (with some slight depression), I was started on Bupropion (Wellbutrin).  I was on it for a week.  Thirty minutes after taking each dose, my anxiety went through the roof.  You had to scrape me off the ceiling.  I Finally called my doctor's office and told them that I couldn't tolerate it and I wasn't taking anymore.  They were in 100% agreement.  It wasn't until later that I found out that Bupropion is one of the most stimulating of all the anti-depressants.  When I shared this story with my current psychiatrist, she just rolled her eyes and told me that she prescribes Bupropion for her patients that are so depressed that they can't even get off the couch.  Anxiety was my problem, not depression.  Of course we all respond differently to anti-depressants.  What works for you might not work for me.

Anti-depressants require time to work.  Normally you will see degrees of improvement over a period of 3-12 weeks.  I am currently on 20 mg of Citalopram (Celexa), have been on it for a little over six weeks, and have seen much improvement.

The very best to you, "B"!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline Abraham2007

• Rec's: 10
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 03:31:42 PM »
I was recently prescribed 75 mg of Wellbutrin for my anxiety and depression. My question is:

Did Wellbutrin work for you?

And, how long did it take for you to see results?

Yes, I currently take Wellbutrin (Bupropion) at 150mg, which was also my starting dose, in conjunction with Zoloft (Setraline), which I now take at 175mg.  Wellbutrin was intended to help out with my clinical depression, since I was diagnosed depressed when I first started the two medications.   I did get over the depression, and the Wellbutrin probably did contribute to my depression recovery.

I don't think it helped with alleviating my anxiety, since Wellbutrin is a stimulant.  I believe the Zoloft (Setraline) has mainly helped me control my anxiety disorder, and that is why I continue to take that SSRI.

Right now, I have mixed reviews of whether Wellbutrin (Bupropion) is a good aphrodisiac for a SSRI, since for me, it seems to not impact the libido favorably as I go higher and higher on a SSRI.   However Wellbutrin is good for depression, but this is usually if it is above 150mg, not so much at 75mg.  The max for Wellbutrin should be 450mg.

I'm curious why your doctor would prescribe you a low dosage 75mg, unless her objective is to alleviate sexual side effects on your SSRI.

The last time you posted, I believe you were on Zoloft(Setraline) at 50mg and you should have been raised to 75mg.  Did you go up?  Also aren't you on a antipsychotic?  Are you still taking the Klonopin?:

Also how long have you been taking the Zoloft and the anti-psychotic?

Bookmark and Share
Quacks prey on us Anxiety Disorder sufferers as part of the Mental Health community, since we can be desperate for healing.  Don't be victimized, instead be EDUCATED about  QUACKERY!!!!! http://www.quackwatch.com/ 

Offline Bcollinsix

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 04:32:14 PM »
Mobilechucko,

Thanks for your reply and sharing Mobilechucko.  My psychiatrist started me off with half a pill of 75mg of Wellbutrin for a week and then up it to one full pill.  My depression is so bad that all I do is sleep all day because that's my way of alleviating my anxiety which in-turn makes me more depressed. But, having started the Wellbutrin earlier today I feel pretty good no anxiety and no want or need to sleep during the day. I don't know, it could be a placebo effect or it might just be working, it also might be to early to tell.

Abraham,

Thanks for your reply and sharing Abraham. If you read the first part of this post then you know my psychiatrist actually had me take half a 75mg pill of Wellbutrin and then up it to a full pill in a week. My psychiatrist has this method which she says should be practiced by every psychiatrist and that is to start with the lowest possible dose to "test the waters" and see the side effects. I took the half pill and I feel pretty good, although it might be to early to tell. I'm also still taking 50mg of Zoloft and I have been for 4 months, which helped with depression and suicidal ideation when I first started it but hasn't really worked since. Anyway she says the two, Wellbutrin and Zoloft, when combined have a synergy effect. I'm still taking the anti-psychotic and have been for ten months now which is why I think she didn't want to up the Zoloft for the possibility of serotonin syndrome.

All the best to both of you,

Bernard
Bookmark and Share

Offline Bcollinsix

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 04:41:01 PM »
Also I forgot to mention Abraham, I'm no longer taking klonopin. I've switched to Ativan for when my anxiety is really bad.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Abraham2007

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 06:13:43 PM »
Hi Bernard,

My psychiatrist started me off with half a pill of 75mg of Wellbutrin for a week and then up it to one full pill.  My depression is so bad that all I do is sleep all day because that's my way of alleviating my anxiety which in-turn makes me more depressed. But, having started the Wellbutrin earlier today I feel pretty good no anxiety and no want or need to sleep during the day.

I don't know, it could be a placebo effect or it might just be working, it also might be to early to tell.

Glad you're at least getting out of your funk with depression.   When depressed, the act of just getting out of bed should be ranked with high merit.   Wellbutrin (Bupropion) is often prescribed for MDD (Major Depressive Disorder).  As I wrote in the prior post, I was clinically depressed, but recovered with the use of Bupropion and Zoloft.  Ironically it's the same psychiatric medication that you are on.  As your doctor prescribed, the combination definitely has a synergestic effect.  It will definitely help with your depression.

Thanks for your reply and sharing Abraham. If you read the first part of this post then you know my psychiatrist actually had me take half a 75mg pill of Wellbutrin and then up it to a full pill in a week.

My psychiatrist has this method which she says should be practiced by every psychiatrist and that is to start with the lowest possible dose to "test the waters" and see the side effects. I took the half pill and I feel pretty good, although it might be to early to tell. 

I agree with her rationale.  After frequenting this board for several months, I come across many new antidepressant users who start off a SSRI, such as Zoloft at 50, and sometimes even bump to 100mg within the same week.  Their doctors should have titrated them at smaller doses in order to check if their bodies can handle that higher dosage.  The increased, rushed dosage jump often leads to stomach problems, diarrhea, intense anxiety, and a host of other issues that could have been avoided, if titrated properly.  I've read a few cases of people who started Effexor at 50mg, and had to be sent to the ER, because their bodies at that moment couldn't handle that high of a dose!

I'm also still taking 50mg of Zoloft and I have been for 4 months, which helped with depression and suicidal ideation when I first started it but hasn't really worked since. Anyway she says the two, Wellbutrin and Zoloft, when combined have a synergy effect. I'm still taking the anti-psychotic and have been for ten months now which is why I think she didn't want to up the Zoloft for the possibility of serotonin syndrome.

FYI,  you may want to check Google for articles on poly-pharmacology.  It seems your doctor is putting you through this method with different drugs to manage your mental illness.  There ares issues about poly-pharmacology that are both pro and con.    It maybe helpful to discuss with her if one medication is better, than the need to try three or four, in order to manage your psychiatric illness.

Btw, I take Ativan too.

Steve.

Bookmark and Share
Quacks prey on us Anxiety Disorder sufferers as part of the Mental Health community, since we can be desperate for healing.  Don't be victimized, instead be EDUCATED about  QUACKERY!!!!! http://www.quackwatch.com/ 

Offline Bcollinsix

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 12:34:45 AM »
Hey Steve,

Thanks for your reassurance about combining Wellbutrin and Zoloft to relieve depression. I really hope it works. I've been on it for 12 hours so far and I feel pretty stable and that's only half a pill, so hopefully that's a good sign. Also I read into poly pharmacology, interesting stuff. My doctor attends lots of psychiatry conferences so she'll probably know a lot about it, I'll ask her. I'm in for whatever works!

Also I have yet to try Ativan, I have two questions for you:

How effective is it for you?

And, how long have you been on it.

All the best,

Bernard
Bookmark and Share

Offline Abraham2007

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 06:49:50 PM »
Hi Bernard,

Hope you're feeling better today.  Getting out of clinical depression takes some time and expectation that life will get better.  I found that antidepressant medication to have been a God-send, when I got out of my clinical depression.

Thanks for your reassurance about combining Wellbutrin and Zoloft to relieve depression. I really hope it works.

I've been on it for 12 hours so far and I feel pretty stable and that's only half a pill, so hopefully that's a good sign.

Zoloft (Setraline) and Wellbutrin (Bupropion) are a great combination for many Anxiety Disorder sufferers.  There are many on that type of prescription and quite a few who post on this forum.

Also I read into poly pharmacology, interesting stuff. My doctor attends lots of psychiatry conferences so she'll probably know a lot about it, I'll ask her. I'm in for whatever works!

Sounds as if you have a really good psychiatrist.  She's very attentive to hearing your needs, as well as being informative on how she prescribes your medication.   You are most certainly lucky to have her.  I would fairly much listen to what she says. Sounds as if she knows her stuff.   When getting out of depression, I know it's important to have someone that you can trust, who will pull you out of the badlands.   A good doctor is a definite must!

Also I have yet to try Ativan, I have two questions for you:

How effective is it for you?

Ativan (lorazepam) is very effective for me, since it works so quickly.  When I first started to deal with my clinical depression, I was actually prescribed Ativan (lorazepam), after a visit to the Emergency Room.  It was instant relief, as if all my anxiety just went away for a few hours.

Since I'm fairly stable on the Zoloft(Setraline) now at 175mg, I don't really feel a need to use Ativan (Lorazepam) very often, since the antidepressant (Setraline) has fairly much calmed down my brain.   

If I do use it, since  I am now under Setraline (Zoloft), I only use it in emergency panic situations.  For example, if I get tense making a presentation before my company President and need relief, I'll use it then.  Sometimes my anxious thoughts get stuck in a loop, and my cognitive behavior therapy background fails me, so a benzo like Ativan can revitalize me in letting it all go.

However, for the past three months, I haven't needed the Ativan.

Prior to Ativan, my psychiatrist prescribed me Klonopin (Clonazepam), which I also took as needed, while I became more comfortable to my antidepressant.  I used the Klonopin more frequently, as I started on the Zoloft (Setaraline).  I probably took a Klonopin once to twice a week
for about two months, and then my use died down a few months later, until I felt OK and stable as a person.

And, how long have you been on it.

I don't take benzodiazepines, like Ativan, regularly.  For me, it's more taken as needed.  There are other forum members that take a benzodiazepine about every day and/or every night.   I read that forum member hikingchick takes a benzo everyday. She maybe able to answer your questions about length of time on a benzodiazepine.

All the best,
Steve

Bookmark and Share

Offline Bcollinsix

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 05:07:17 PM »
Hey Steve I really appreciate the feedback. I got a couple more questions to ask you about the Wellbutrin.

Did Wellbutrin ever stop working for you, did you "poop it out"?

And how long have you been on Wellbutrin/ the combination of Wellbutrin and Zoloft?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Abraham2007

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 12:05:51 PM »
Hi Bernard,

Again, hope you're feeling better today.  :happy0151:

Hey Steve I really appreciate the feedback. I got a couple more questions to ask you about the Wellbutrin.
Np. 

Did Wellbutrin ever stop working for you, did you "poop it out"?

In regards to managing my clinical depression, I don't think Wellbutrin (Bupropion) ever pooped out.  As a stimulant, Wellbutrin gave me more energy during the day.  In the first few months, the added energy even made me a bit of an insomniac, since I couldn't go to bed.  I would stay awake in the evening until early morning, actually reading up on the Internet.  However, I am a bit of a nerd, so reading until the late nite and the wee hours of the early morning, isn't uncommon, however Wellbutrin gave me energy to do this.  Before my clinical depression hit, I would be too popped after 11:00 to do this, and would fall asleep, but Wellbutrin would keep me awake. 

Luckily I have a job where I don't have set early morning work hours, so I could walk in after ten or ten thirty, without causing any concern with my supervisor about my work demands.  As long as I did my job, even if it meant staying late at my position to make up for coming in later, I was OK with job security.  So even though I slept late, waking up late wasn't a problem for me, in comparison to others who have to be at work based on a set work schedule. 

My insomnia hasn't actually been fully cured, and I'm tempted to go on a sleep medicine, but the Wellbutrin probably continues to work, in conjunction with the Zoloft(Setraline).

Do note, I'm only on 150mg of Wellbutrin, however the range of Wellbutrin goes up to 450mg, so I'm really not a very high dose, however I am on a high dose of Setraline at 175mg.  And your doctor is aware of this too, but Wellbutrin as a stimulant may not ideal for someone with a high level of anxiety, if going up on Wellbutrin in the higher ranges.
And how long have you been on Wellbutrin/ the combination of Wellbutrin and Zoloft?

Almost eight months; however, please know I had to taper up the Setraline (Zoloft) over a period of months.  My psch doctor had me go slower, after I went above 75mg (Setraline) Zoloft,  than other standard users who get prescribed Setraline(Zoloft).  He actually made me stay at 100mg and 125mg for a few weeks, despite my insistence to go higher, much sooner, before I would hit 150mg and then 175mg.  As I look back, I think he made a wise choice, since my body was actually improving each week at the 100mg/125mg levels, and he was monitoring for any side effects for each jump.  Also we were adding supplements like Fish Oil and Gingko Biloba, so we were evaluating if any potential side effects were coming from a Seteraline jump, or from the added supplements.  Luckily I wasn't having any severe side effects for each jump, so he was more confident that this was the right med for me, given that I had been of Prozac (Fluoxetine) previously for three months, but that medication was never quite consistent in terms of managing my moods, gave me a blow on my libido, and had other annoying side effects that I did not get over with time.

So far, I seem to be OK with Zoloft (Setraline) and Wellbutrin (Bupropion).  :P

Do note, there are others on this forum who have been on psychiatric medication for years, sometimes ranging in the twenty year category, and haven't experienced any long terms side effects on the psychiatric medication like Zoloft (Setraline).   Of course, everyone has to be on top of their prescription every day, and ensure they are taking the medication prescribed and agreed with by their medical doctor.

Steve
Bookmark and Share

Offline Bcollinsix

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 02:14:25 PM »
Ok thanks a lot Steve. Best of luck in your recovery.

Bernard
Bookmark and Share

Tags: