Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Anxiety/panic quickly ramps up  (Read 182 times)

Offline skuu

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anxiety/panic quickly ramps up
« on: January 07, 2014, 01:59:53 PM »
Hi all :)
I've been getting therapy for several months, and I've improved a lot, but I still get frightening and sometimes extremely inconvenient episodes.
However, I'm not as big of a case as some people. I don't have full on panic attacks, and I don't feel like I'm going to die.

My anxiety tends to be set off after eating or drinking. My safety behaviour involves lying down or relaxing in a laid back position of some kind. So my safety zones are anywhere where I feel that I can adopt these positions within a certain amount of time. For example, the pub that is 10 minutes down the road would be within a safety zone since I can rush home and lay down. But it doesn't have to be my home, just anywhere I can relax and adopt any position that I choose.

But I recognise that this is an unhelpful safety behaviour and I want to overcome the feeling that 'I have to lie down'. I have achieved this in some situations, usually ones where I was able to relax and move my body, even if I wasn't able to lay back. But I still have difficulty controlling my panic/anxiety when I am in less flexible situations, say if I'm out on a long walk, or in a social situation where I cannot leave or step away for long.

My therapist has started showing me ways to relax myself. I'm starting to use mindfulness, and trying not to take my thoughts too seriously, so they don't spiral out of control.

I'd appreciate any ideas or reports of similar situations people may have. Thank you! :D

Matt
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 161
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety/panic quickly ramps up
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 05:55:53 AM »
I would suggest trying to expand your safety zone. You are used to a set distance. What is the fear if you go beyond that point? It doesn't have to be much further to begin with. It might bring about some bad feelings or bad thoughts. That would be normal. Reality is they can't really harm you. They are only thoughts and feelings. You do get used to them after a while. Then you have this thing of lying down. Must be for a reason. You could maybe try and cut that out a few times a day. Allow yourself to do it maybe once or twice a day. After that try and stop yourself. Find something else to do. Break the cycle. Challenge yourself. But keep track of everything you are doing that is different and how you feel. In a journal. You therapist might be able to help you with this. It is the only way forward. Just believe in yourself.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Tags: