Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: One-sided shortness of breath - is it anxiety?  (Read 262 times)

Offline psychopika

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Whatever doesn't kill you fucks you up mentally
    • Poke This Member
One-sided shortness of breath - is it anxiety?
« on: January 07, 2014, 07:23:10 AM »
For the past couple of months I've been extremely stressed out...

Around 5-6 weeks ago I started having a mild discomfort in my chest, on my right side, under the ribs near the sternum. This pain/discomfort tends to get worse every time I worry about it or focus on it and to get slightly better with relaxation and rest. It radiates to the back as well and it sometimes feels like a burning discomfort. Sometimes it feels deep inside the chest, other times just under the ribcage. And I noticed it sometimes gets slightly worse when swallowing, but I'm not sure.

In the last 2 weeks I've noticed suffering from shortness of breath on my right side. I feel I contract my back muscles and my shoulder a lot to inhale deeply and on some positions I feel I can't inhale completely with my right lung. It gets better when I keep inhaling, like it loosens up after a few tries. It's very annoying. I don't know if this is anxiety because it's one-sided... but I do suffer from slight scoliosis.

It's very annoying and it worries me. I keep thinking that my diaphragm muscles are paralyzed on my right side and I read a chest lymphoma can do that when it cuts the innervation of the diaphragm. The phrenic nerve which innervates the diaphragm passes through right where my chest pain is. I'm not sure if my diaphragm is truly paralyzed though - I read that I should be having difficulties to breathe when lying on my back with that condition but I don't have that.

Can anxiety cause shortness of breath that's one-sided? Anyone has that?

Bookmark and Share

Offline Moebearocka1980

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: One-sided shortness of breath - is it anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 09:37:13 AM »
I've been suffering with "one sided shortness of breath" on my right hand side off and on for a year. It's not fun at all but my doc thinks it's anxiety and I try to believe him. It sucks.
Bookmark and Share
"Fear defeats more people than any other one thing in the world.  ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline psychopika

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Whatever doesn't kill you fucks you up mentally
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 10:47:29 AM »
Yes, indeed it sucks.

I can't tell what causes it, sometimes it there, other times it isn't. And I can't have a chest X-ray for now because I might be pregnant.

But I suppose it can be anxiety, because I've been very tense lately.
Bookmark and Share

Offline DeLellis123

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 01:51:41 AM »
Have it all the time, have gotten more blood work than you could imagine, chest x ray, chest ct scan, abdomen and pelvis ct scan, barium swallow test, not one thing remotely wrong on anything. Not to mention I've had a brain mri, a sonogram of my testicles, prostate exam, hernia cough test, stress echo cardiogram, over 13 ekgs, wore a holter monitor, had over 4 neurological exams, got my thyroid checked, and absolutely nothing..... Not one.... Damn..... Thing showed up. Not saying you don't have anything wrong with you, but let me tell you anxiety can do a lot.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: