Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: What in the world happened to my thighs after I went walking?  (Read 267 times)

Offline pluperfecthell

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • My panic attack is having a panic attack.
    • Poke This Member
What in the world happened to my thighs after I went walking?
« on: January 06, 2014, 09:21:21 PM »
my hypochondria has been almost non existent for the past few months and my anxiety levels have been low for the most part. i decided that i want to start getting fit again. i stopped eating healthy and exercising for like a year and a half.  today, after school, i walked to the park and did a couple of laps like... speedwalking before it started to rain. while i was walking, my thighs had been kinda itchy but it wasn't THAT bad. i walked back home and suddenly, like as soon as i was relaxing in the kitchen, my thighs started itching REALLY BADLY. SO BAD. i've never had a worse itch in my life. i was scratching at my thighs (my nails are prettyyyy long) for over 10 minutes. it was SOOOO BAD. my thighs were super warm from all the scratching. i made myself eventually stop and went to go do cardio in the patio for a while and didn't pay any more attention to my thighs. after i ate, i took a nap and stuff and when i peed, i looked at my thighs and almost passed out. they are covered in red spots that are purpling and like the spots are in the shape of scratches, there are a LOT. so i googled and itchy thighs can happen when someone who hasn't worked out in a while starts to work out. it has something to do with the capillaries or something trying to expand because they aren't used to the physical activity and causes an itching sensation. it could also be that my new yoga leggings irritated the skin because i didn't wash them before wearing them, but i think it's the first thing.

has this EVER happened to anyone? should i be concerned about the spots on my legs or is it just because i scratched too roughly? like it looks like i popped a bunch of vessels or something. i'm actually not super freaked out but... i'm a bit hesitant to try walking again tomorrow and i wince whenever i see my thighs.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: What in the world happened to my thighs after I went walking?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 09:30:00 PM »
It's normal to be itchy. Try not scratching so hard next time :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Allytiel90

• Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 11:53:26 PM »
Yes I thought I was very odd to have this! If I exercise after not doing so in a while especially my thighs itch like the dickens! I get home and scratch the heck out of them! Never feel such a feel itch except in that case! Must be fairly normal I've had it happen off and on for years. I'm a 23 year old female.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Vasallus

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 12:13:14 AM »
The most logical thing I can think of is your clothing may have rubbed against your skin from the motion. This coupled with the cold weather which causes muscles to exert more energy and the skin to work harder to keep you warm via goosebumps and sweating all make a pretty good combo to irritate your skin.
Bookmark and Share

Offline wegngis

• Rec's: 17
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Personal Text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 02:11:23 AM »
This happens to me often, I jokingly refer to it as itchy leg syndrome.  In me, it's basically a histamine response.  If I go on a walk longer than about 15 minutes it will drive me mad.  The jarring of the legs is what does it.  If I go hiking I have to take a Benadryl or two to keep it calmed down.  And wow does it itch, like lose your mind itch.  I can totally relate.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state.  - AnxietyZone member Sixpack

Offline CrazyQuacker75

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 03:55:49 AM »
I got this all the time during my summer runs, but it was more widespread, it eventually stopped.
Bookmark and Share
In the race against myself

Offline pluperfecthell

• Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • My panic attack is having a panic attack.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 11:11:28 PM »
i feel sooo much better knowing it's not just me! i went walking again today and it didn't happen. it really freaked me out yesterday though, the itching was INTENSE and i scratched myself so hard that i bruised.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: