Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Contacting your doctor-finding a balance  (Read 195 times)

Online AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Contacting your doctor-finding a balance
« on: January 06, 2014, 03:00:42 PM »
Just curious on your experience/advice:

I feel like I'm getting caught up in a debate with myself. When to call my doctor (family doc or psychiatrist) versus when to just manage my symptoms and wait until my next appointment.

As I mentioned briefly in a previous post, my worst anxiety symptoms are hormonally mediated. My psychiatrist recommended trying hormonal birth control starting NEXT month. Well, my cycle this month started a full week early with the resultant increased anxiety (admittedly, this MAY have been due to my stressing over the cycle starting early and "waiting" for the increase in symptoms. Bad idea). I put in a message to my family doc wondering if this could be due to running out of my progesterone cream and missing a few doses last week. then I got to considering calling my psychiatrist and telling her I may try the birth control THIS month due to the cycle issues, or requesting something prn such as Vistaril because of the increased intensity.

The problem: I've created more anxiety admittedly, because I'm 1) waiting for my family doc to call back and can't get my mind off of that. and 2) going back in forth over whether I should call my psychiatrist.

How do YOU determine when to call your doc and when to just wait things out? I did some meditation at lunch which really did help alleviate symptoms, I feel much better than this morning, but I do have that anticipatory anxiety, just "waiting" Advise would be appreciated.

This very post suggests to me that perhaps restarting the hunt for another therapist wouldn't be such a bad idea!  :spineyes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sarahsue

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Re: Contacting your doctor-finding a balance
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 11:14:24 PM »
I struggled with whether I should call my doctor about  my anxiety for weeks.  I have a really good friend who also has anxiety.  She called her doctor and started taking meds again.  We discussed this several times.  I was pretty anit-meds.  I had taken them in the past and really didn't want to do it again.  She finally said, "I understand not wanting to take meds, but we don't have to live like this if there is something out there to help."  That finally gave me the courage to call my dr and make an appointment.  Making the appointment is the first step, actually going to it was just as much of a challenge  for me.  I guess what I am trying to say is why wait?  Call your family doctor or psychiatrist and make an appointment.  The sooner you get something figured out whether it is birth control or something else, the sooner you will be back to being able to enjoy your life.
Bookmark and Share
Sarah

Offline doogle2

• Rec's: 4
  • AKA doogle
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 05:30:49 AM »
In my experience the thing we struggle to understand the most is - we have anxiety.

Now I know that sounds extremely obvious but do we really KNOW that we have anxiety? do we allow ourselves to have anxiety? and if we truly did then would we get caught up in debates with ourselves or would we surrender to it more and be more patient? or more be a more patient, patient, etc.?.

What the hell I am talking about!! IMPATIENCE - it's subtle, but it's there, and it is a major contributor to our anxiety. We want answers, we want results, we to know NOW - and the effect this has on our anxiety is HUGE, but we don't notice it because we accept this as normal behaviour.

The very first thing I thought when I read your post was "impatience" and to me that looks like the thing you are struggling with, and so this is where I suggest you direct your efforts.

The next time you are meditating - get still - and then ask yourself this question "Am I being impatient?".

If the answer is "NO, I deserve an answer now I have waited long enough", or "NO, more action is needed now", etc. then act on that, and take the necessary action.   

If the answer is "YES" - then just be prepared to be more patient.

If you get still enough, then you will get the answer YOU need - and using your intuition in this way (as your internal guide) will work wonders. This for me is where meditation and mindfulness becomes something useful, something very practical - it aids us in our daily affairs.

Hope it helps  :action-smiley-065:   

Bookmark and Share
The human mind is inspired enough when it comes to inventing horrors; it is when it tries to invent a Heaven that it shows itself cloddish ~ Evelyn Waugh

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 07:45:52 AM »
Oh, this is brilliant. Impatience. Of course. We won't give anything a chance. This goes back to early days when we were hunted by man and beast. Those days are mostly gone.

How does that song go? "Give Peace a Chance." Give even docs a chance. Meds a chance. Or ourselves a chance. Trust our mind, our gut instincts. Great for the New Year. AM, you will make the right decision. Hormones come and go. I remember bizarre times when I had to tell myself "Nothing is changed. Why am I bawling?" It's really nice when they're gone for good.
Bookmark and Share

Online AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 09:20:29 AM »
Thanks for the responses and thoughts everyone!

Doogle: you hit the nail on the head with impatience. ON THE HEAD! lol. I certainly could have saved my question for my family doc for my physical--which is tomorrow! I did elect not to call my psychiatrist. If I opt to start the birth control pills tomorrow, I'll just notify her then. My impatience is by and large due to my anxious personality. You are ABSOLUTELY correct. And overanalyzing. That's another part of it, maybe even worse for me than the impatience. Overanalyzing every symptom of the anxiety, overanalyzing every side effect of medication.

I think I have an erroneous belief: That because I'm in medicine and have studied this stuff, because I have been proactive and jumped on multiple management strategies (mindfulness, meditation,  medication, home CBT, exercise, more sleep) etc, that because I'm throwing everything at it I'm expecting it to be all better sooner (even though I TELL myself it's chronic and takes time, telling and believing aren't the same are they?) In a sense even though I say I'm practicing mindfulness sometimes I'm not exactly.....because if I were truly being mindful I'd accept that the anxious times will come again, right?

So.....patience. So very true.
Bookmark and Share

Offline doogle2

• Rec's: 4
  • AKA doogle
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 11:20:04 AM »
And overanalyzing. That's another part of it, maybe even worse for me than the impatience.

I'm down with that - in fact if you spoke to my wife she'd tell you that's my problem  :bigsmile:

I think I have an erroneous belief

Now IMO that is THE problem - we are choc full of erroneous beliefs.

The answer to that is to "Know Thyself", as the ancient Greeks used to say and the more mindful we are then the more of ourselves we uncover/reveal, and that for me is where the work is.

First, however (or in conjunction with at least) we have to make peace with ourselves - because “Until you make peace with who you are, you'll never be content with what you have.” (Doris Mortman).

Anyhow - it looks to me as if you are grasping it all quite well - keep it up.  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
The human mind is inspired enough when it comes to inventing horrors; it is when it tries to invent a Heaven that it shows itself cloddish ~ Evelyn Waugh

Tags: