Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Feel guilty for going to the ER AGAIN!  (Read 320 times)

Offline confunded

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Feel guilty for going to the ER AGAIN!
« on: January 06, 2014, 02:55:06 PM »
So I am going to the ER to just have my leg checked out, and I feel guilty for going again since I was there a week ago. Are they going to label me "crazy" and kick me out? I am concerned, and I am trying to deal with my anxiety. But my leg has hurt for 5 days now, and I have a 2 year old daughter that I owe it to to make sure it is just anxiety and not something real. Of course, I could say that with all of my concerns.

I just hate that I am going back to the hospital, although I know I won't rest until I get some sort of information from a medical professional. I just hate being "that hypochondriac". And I feel like this is how my fiancée sees me :(
Bookmark and Share

Online AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Feel guilty for going to the ER AGAIN!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 03:04:31 PM »
Well, I have generalized anxiety not health anxiety per se, but I just made a post about my back-and-forth stressing over when I should/shouldn't contact my family doc or psychiatrist, so I can empathize to some extent.

Do you have a primary care medical provider? If not I strongly recommend that you consider getting one, because they can give you much better continuity of care than the ER.  You'll want to be up front about your health anxiety but by having consistent follow-up they can help you determine serious medical concerns vs anxiety-driven symptoms.
Bookmark and Share

Offline confunded

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 03:25:12 PM »
Hi AncientMelody,
Thank you for your response. I do have a Primary care provider, and when I called the office and spoke to the nurse she suggested that I go in and have it checked out. The worst part is that there is a snowstorm right now, with whiteout conditions because of the wind :( So I am making my Fiancee drive through that.

But I just can't ignore this anymore :(
Bookmark and Share

Online AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 04:00:49 PM »
First, and I'm sorry that I didn't say this already, but they can't kick you out. They are obligated to treat you.  Another thing to consider: yes, maybe they are aware of your health anxiety but maybe they are not. Sometimes our symptoms loom so large in our own minds and bodies that we feel it MUST be obvious to the outside world. This isn't always the case. Another thing to consider is that you did follow the proper channel: calling your primary medical office and you are following THEIR medical advice. That's what you are doing right now, following medical advice.

What your fiance sees probably goes beyond simple labels. I can't speak for him, but you say fiance, so it sounds as though in spite of being "that hypochondriac" he also sees you as a women with admirable qualities that he intends to share his life with. We hate to bring our weaknesses to our significant others, but relationships, ones where you are or will be married in particular, it's not about two independent people happening to share a life. It's about allowing to let this other person help you when you've fallen down. Certainly I think it's still important not to be so self-absorbed that one forgets that mental illness can indeed take a toll on loved ones. Instead of being overwhelmed with guilt for this, it's important for us to do what we can to work towards getting healthier and continuing to find ways to support those who support us.
Bookmark and Share

Offline confunded

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 04:27:50 PM »
Yes Melody I do think you are tight- my fiancé and I talked and he is really concerned for me and has also been researching anxiety to learn more. I think it's sweet.

As for going to the ER I think I have to wait until tomorrow. It's not a medical emergency at the moment and there are white out conditions right now. So I will have to hang tight until tomorrow. My pain is not even close to being severe so I think thisnis the best option.

Thank you for your kind and thoughtful replies. I appreciate it!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline park682

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 07:44:43 PM »
I did that in December....I went to the ER twice in a 2 week period and I felt that they didn't take me seriously because it was my second time. I felt that they just thought I was crazy and I just needed to hear that I didn't have blood clot from someone who was a professional. Now I worry, what if I need to go back...will they take me seriously....
Bookmark and Share

Tags: