Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Panic attacks after feeling heartbeat  (Read 331 times)

Offline melzmoda

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Panic attacks after feeling heartbeat
« on: January 06, 2014, 04:49:07 AM »
So it's almost 4am and I had another panic attack.  I'm still feeling some of the effects from it however I'm trying to take my mind off of it so I figured I would post on here.  My anxiety has been horrible the last month and I can literally have an attack from anything, eating, feeling my heartbeat even if it's not racing, worrying about something small really anything lately.  That in turn sends me into a full blown attack where my heart starts racing and I can feel the adrenaline rushing through me.  I try to do my breathing techniques however I feel like I work through my attacks better if I get to get up and move around and keep my mind busy.  Does that work better for anyone? Well tonight I worked through this one pretty well it only lasted about 15 mins of racing heart and the feeling of doom. I got out of bed and did some laundry and straightened up a bit.......I can't wait for my life to be anxiety free!!! Thanks for listening to me it helps me so much to have this site!
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
Re: Panic attacks after feeling heartbeat
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 06:11:56 AM »
The whole thing is to try and find something to take your mind off of things. We can say you done that with this panic attack. But you also lost out on sleep getting up that early. I know they feel horrible. I know they can frighten people. But trust me when I say they can't kill us. We tend to fight once a panic attacks kicks in. Mind versus body. This only makes things worse. You are thinking inwardly. What if you done nothing? What is the worst thing that could happen to you? If you just sat there and allowed those feelings to come on. Truth is they get weaker if we ignore them. I know it is hard. Because the feelings can be horrible. Last few I had I said ' bring it on ' and lay back in bed. Sort of ' whatever will be, will be '. I fell asleep. It is kind of like taking the power back and taking control back. But it does take practice. It does take time. But it can be done. You just have to believe in yourself. Try and stay positive.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline dano

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 06:12:45 PM »
Thank you for writing this.  I'm new to this idea of opening up to strangers, so reading how others have similar problems makes me feel a lot better.  Something very similar happens to me.  My heart won't even be beating that fast, but just by paying attention to my heartbeat, it'll trigger an idea in my mind that something is wrong with me.  I worry that I'm having a heart attack, or that some other life threatening disease is in my body.  When this happens I wait for it to pass, but it takes so long for me to get over it.  People tell me to try breathing but a lot of the time, I'm not mindful enough to focus on breathing.  Do you have any tips?
Bookmark and Share

Offline melzmoda

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 12:20:37 AM »
Well the same thing happens to me and honestly the breathing only works to calm me down more after the panic has slowed down normally during an attack I need to get up and move around like take my mind off of what is going on and it passes quicker for me.  Unfortunately once my mind obsesses about something it takes awhile to stop it and now at this point in my life it's my heart beat and it is taking over my everyday life.  No one understands when you try to explain the pure hell we live in everyday.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Isa

• Mood: Relieved
    Relieved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 01:20:00 AM »
I also have the problem of having my mind latch onto something obsessive like my heart beat, it will sometimes keep me from falling asleep/keep me awake, bother me to the point of just lying bed waiting for *doom*. I have tried hard to stop thinking obsessive thoughts, every time I started to think it I would stop myself. It's hard, but maybe you could try that, just tell yourself three to ten times that you are okay, your heart is fine every time you have one thought that it isn't fine. It is super hard, but I feel I talked myself into thinking things repeatedly so I best pick the good things to think.

I'm in therapy and is helping, although a slow process, so now I have days when I don't have problems with obsessing over my heart, although some days like today I still do. Just be careful with trying to rid yourself of the heart obsession, I'm finding that as I'm trying to stop worrying about that other worries are taking over. Like going blind, going deaf, my knee ached a bit after a workout and suddenly my mind leapt on the 'for sure omg' my knee will have to be replaced and I'll be crippled for life. It is very hard to explain to people who don't understand, which is one reason my therapist is really great, and now these forums are too.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: