Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Anxiety Caused by Sinus Infection??  (Read 188 times)

Offline mp6365

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anxiety Caused by Sinus Infection??
« on: January 06, 2014, 12:31:52 AM »
Hello all, I am a 37yo male from Maryland. I am here writing this because I am currently suffering from re-occurring anxiety attacks and have been for the past week. I am hoping someone else out there may be able to relate and perhaps share some insight as to what is going on. As I stated in my title I am a newbie with anxiety. I have had a few panic attacks before but they have usually been a one shot deal. My first attack was about three years ago. I had just come off of the flu and, at the time, had no idea what was going on. I thought I was having a heart attack so I went to the ER. The ER put me through all of the tests for heart attacks and everything came back negative. I spent the night in the ER and when I woke up I felt fine. I then went on as nothing had happened with no incident. Then almost exactly a year later, again just coming off of the flu, I felt the same feelings I had a year earlier. I went to the ER again and was again given a clean bill of health. After this point I had talked to some friends and family and they had suggested that perhaps what I was feeling was anxiety and that possibly I had a panic attack. After doing some research it seemed logical enough so thats what I chalked this up to. That was last year. Now just recently I have begun to suffer anxiety and panic unlike anything I had experienced in the past. This all started for me the Friday after xmas. I had spent the holidays with family out of state and was heading back home. On the way home I could feel myself getting sick (sore, scratchy throat). When I arrived home I immediately felt much better. The next day, Saturday, I felt sore and worn out like I had just gotten over a cold or a flu. I slept most of the day and come Sunday felt fine. Now Sunday evening, for whatever reason, I noticed I started to feel shaky and nervous. I chalked this up to anxiety and was able to get through it. Then Monday I had the exact same experience as the day before. I told myself that on Tuesday that if I experienced the same symptoms that I was going to call my doctor and make an appointment. Well sure enough the anxiety symptoms were with me all day Tuesday so I called my doctor and made an appointment. Unfortunately he could not see me until Thursday. At this point for whatever reason my anxiety went through the roof and I ended up going to the ER to see what they could do. They had basically told me that it was more than likely anxiety and prescribed xanax and sent me on my way. I took the xanax and, other than falling asleep, didn't really feel any better. The next day I felt EXTREMELY anxious so I took another xanax and waited for the next day to see my doctor. Then Thursday comes. I feel better and cannot wait to go see my doctor so he can finally tell me what the hell is going on. Well to my disappointment he checks a few things and tells me its probably anxiety and writes me another script for more xanax and sends me on my way. At this point I'm really starting to get frustrated because I know something has to be wrong. So my last stitch effort was to make an appointment with a therapist to see if perhaps they could help. Unfortunately no one can see me until later next week (might as well be a year from now). So I've been trying to get through the weekend on my own feeling very anxious and unsure. So today I happened to be reading about anxiety attacks being triggered by sinus issues. I had noticed that throughout all of this my throat was still scratchy and my ears felt plugged up. I didnt really think much about this throughout the week as the thought of loosing my mind was much more important. So interestingly enough the doctor there notices that I have an elevated temperature and what seems to be a sinus infection. They prescribed some antibiotics and re-assured me that everything was fine and sent me on my way. So after all of this I am hopeful that this sinus infection is what has been causing my anxiety this whole time. I took my antibiotics a few hours ago and woke up just recently feeling anxious again. Now obviously I know it is going to take some time to recover but I was really hoping that after being diagnosed I was going to instantly stop having anxiety attacks and feel like my old self again..lol. I am going to give this some time and monitor my condition and hopefully as this sinus infection clears up so will my anxiety. I guess I am writing all of this mainly for me to try to get all of this out of my system. As I can say just writing about this makes me feel much better. However if anyone out there has had similar experiences I would love to hear about them and about how you were able to get through them.
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 152
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety Caused by Sinus Infection??
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 06:04:35 AM »
Welcome to the forum. Good to have you as a member. Here you are with like minded people. People who understand. As we all suffer from something or other. So feel free to ask any questions. Our members are always willing to help others out. Good chatroom too. 3 posts to enter the room.

Find the correct section of the forum that suits your condition and create a new topic on it. This is just a welcome section. Never really get the same amount of help in this section as you would on the other sections of the forums. So whatever one suits the questions you are asking. Get much better answers.
All users of the chatroom must be 18 years old or over. The room is off limits to anybody under the age of 18.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Bestrong6

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety Caused by Sinus Infection??
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 09:20:50 PM »
Hi mp6365    I am a 39yr old male from Chicago and have experienced the same symptoms that you have. And around the same time, mine being January 6 2014.  Anxiety,sleeplessness and a trip to the ER. ( ER found nothing healthy 39 yr old ) .  I have never had uncontrollable anxiety before ( shortness of breath mind racing). May have had a sinus infection but doctors either didn't check or it didn't show on cat scan. Now I am searching for answers and help.  So I guess I'm asking you if you have found any answers.  Just want to know why this happen and if it will come back.   Thanks
Bookmark and Share

Tags: