Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Gallbladder or muscle problem??  (Read 1672 times)

Offline n50plic

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Re: Gallbladder or muscle problem??
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2014, 05:32:37 PM »
Hey never again....when you had your gallstone issues do u remember if u had burning pipes and pain between the breastbone? I'm having that now and its awful
Bookmark and Share

Offline threnners

• Leaping to the worst conclusion in a single bound!
  • Anxiety Girl
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2014, 06:20:40 PM »
I did.  I also had ferocious reflux, and was pretty much unable to eat most foods that weren't bland. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline NeverAgain2

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2014, 07:29:44 PM »
Hi sad_dad! Has your doctor said anything about the intercostal muscle? If my HIDA scan results come back normal, I am going to have to have a serious talk with my doctor on finding out what exactly it is so it can be treated! I wish you look in finding the answer as well!

I actually mentioned the intercostals to my doctor after doing so much googling about the pain. I'm pretty sure it isn't gallbladder as food doesn't affect it at all, and I've never had nauseousness. I had contemplated asking about getting a HIDA scan, but I really don't think that's my problem and don't want to do another test if it isn't necessary.

My doc actually recommended I see a chiropractor. She said if it is costochondritis as she suspects, a chiropractor might be able to help a little.  Even as I sit here typing, I have the sensation in my chest, RUQ area of my abdomen. Its not bad, but its there. If I press in on my lower sternum, it is sore. If I press in on my mid-ribs, right on the bone toward the side, they are sore. I have been doing a lot of shoveling of snow recently, which may have exacerbated the issue the last few days. But google can still scare you, and me in particular, talking about Pancreas and the C-Word, and whatever. I hate google so much sometimes. I try to avoid it, but sometimes get weak. I have to believe my doctors who actually see me and its their job to figure these things out. I have had a ton of tests, and advocated for myself, so there's only so much more I can do. I have to stop tilting at windmills so to speak, and just believe its nothing that serious.

You are overly conscious and fearing of your symptoms.  This is normal, but remember they are distressing but not dangerous.  If you have had tests and they are negative then you are most likely suffering from the effects of chronic stress, which does sneak up on you little by little until you one day wake with or start to feel the tightness and pain.

Don't google. It's reinforces your mind's idea that something is wrong with you.

Your doctor suggested visiting a chiropractor because he/she knows it is stress related and muscular, and is hoping a few useless adjustments will provide you with a placebo effect.  Most MD's and even DO's do not know enough about the effects of stress on the muscular-skeletal system.  Chiropractors believe everything is related to adjusting your spine.  Guess what, spines don't need adjusting, unless you have been tossed out of a second story window and landed on your back on a fence rail.  Then you need immediate surgery. 

I'm not telling you not to go to a chiropractor, but don't go.  Might as well toss your money out that same window.

Instead work on the sources of your stress and anxiety.  Really work on it.  Mean business.
Bookmark and Share

Offline NeverAgain2

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2014, 07:38:39 PM »
Hey never again....when you had your gallstone issues do u remember if u had burning pipes and pain between the breastbone? I'm having that now and its awful

I never knew I had a gallbladder problem until the ER surgeon told me my GB had to come out.  I only had one gallbladder attack, and that was the one. I did not have typical gallbladder symptoms.  I did, however, have a bulge on my side that was dismissed as "nothing" for several years, and, which, because it did not cause pain, I thought to be a hernia.  Dumb, yes, but I was caretaking a terminal relative at the time, and my health came second.  Also dumb.  What caused my pain and stiffness, looking back, was that the bulge seemed to be getting larger and I started working with Dr. Google to dx myself.  In other words, I stressed my already stressed self over the edge.

I'm guessing you are having further results of anxiety and stress, which are what you describe.  Stress and anxiety effect the same bodily systems on every single person alive, only some people get symptoms in one place and some in another.  The muscular system is one, the digestive system another, etc..

If you have had rounds of tests and you are negative you must work on you anxiety.  Accept your symptoms, stop fighting them, learn to destress and learn what has/is causing your fear and anxiety.  The last one might be the hardest, especially if you think, like most, like me, that you have been handling things just fine all of your life.
Bookmark and Share

Offline n50plic

• Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2014, 07:48:46 PM »
Ok thanks. That's exactly how I am right now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sparkle

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2014, 08:34:34 PM »
Hey everyone,

I am very upset. I finally heard back from my HIDA scan and it showed I have a low functioning gallbladder and my doctor recommends me to have it removed and wants me to set up an appointment with a surgeon  :( I've never had surgery, never been put under, and I'm really scared! I don't even know when I'm meeting with the surgeon yet... I guess they will call me tomorrow.
Bookmark and Share

Offline threnners

• Leaping to the worst conclusion in a single bound!
  • Anxiety Girl
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2014, 09:08:54 PM »
Sparkle, the relief you have when it's out is completely worth it.    They will most likely do it through laparoscopy (The full surgical type is VERY rare, my doctor said.)     The worst part for me was the 30 minutes of gas pain in recovery, then I went home and slept for basically two days after that.  The rest of it was just me taking my pain & nausea meds (didn't need those after a few days) and resting until I went back to work a week and a half later.   I do not miss my gallbladder one bit. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Moebearocka1980

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2014, 09:42:05 PM »
Ah! Sparkle! I'm sorry as I know how afraid you are of surgery. However, gob surgery is laparoscopic and an outpatient procedure. One of my best friends had hers removed last year after having classic gb attacks.

How low was the percentage of your functioning? I know neither of us were concerned about our gb because we don't have classic gb attacks but the same discomfort. Does your doc think your dis functioning gb is the cause of your discomfort?!
Bookmark and Share
"Fear defeats more people than any other one thing in the world.  ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline NeverAgain2

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2014, 06:15:29 PM »
Hey everyone,

I am very upset. I finally heard back from my HIDA scan and it showed I have a low functioning gallbladder and my doctor recommends me to have it removed and wants me to set up an appointment with a surgeon  :( I've never had surgery, never been put under, and I'm really scared! I don't even know when I'm meeting with the surgeon yet... I guess they will call me tomorrow.

Please think about this.  Consult with at least one other doctor.  I think I mentioned in another post that a fair amount of people show a low functioning gallbladder.  If your gallbladder is not infected or loaded with stones or at the point of bursting (mine was), it is well worth to hold off the surgery and see if the gallbladder is the source of your discomfort/pain. 

You description of your problem can also be a classic symptom of anxiety.  Check it for yourself in the symptom survey here on this site and other anxiety sites. 

I'm no doctor, and you should always take your own decisions based on the best evidence, but this alternative is worth considering, especially because you are on an anxiety site, so you must have past problems or an inkling that this is stress related.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sparkle

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2014, 10:09:43 PM »
I spoke with my doctor's nurse and I did ask her if she knew what percentage it was functioning at, but she didn't know. All she could tell me was that its just a low functioning gallbladder. I still haven't heard back from them in regards to meeting the surgeon and speaking with them. I suppose the surgeon could hopefully give me a better detail of the results and what percentage my gallbladder is functioning at.

Do most people really have low functioning gallbladder?? How do I get a second opinion? Do I just call any other doctor? Would they need my hida scan results? People at work td me I should get a second opinion... But they told me different things to do. One said my doctor could refer me to another doctor for a second opinion. The other person said to go to any doctor... Basically someone that doesn't even know my doctor... But how would they know the results of my hida scan? I guess I just tell them?
Bookmark and Share

Offline NeverAgain2

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2014, 11:29:23 PM »
I spoke with my doctor's nurse and I did ask her if she knew what percentage it was functioning at, but she didn't know. All she could tell me was that its just a low functioning gallbladder. I still haven't heard back from them in regards to meeting the surgeon and speaking with them. I suppose the surgeon could hopefully give me a better detail of the results and what percentage my gallbladder is functioning at.

Do most people really have low functioning gallbladder?? How do I get a second opinion? Do I just call any other doctor? Would they need my hida scan results? People at work td me I should get a second opinion... But they told me different things to do. One said my doctor could refer me to another doctor for a second opinion. The other person said to go to any doctor... Basically someone that doesn't even know my doctor... But how would they know the results of my hida scan? I guess I just tell them?

Most people is too broad a term to use when talking about a lower functioning gallbladder.  Some would probably be more accurate  But -- do you have typical gallbladder symptoms: bloating, nausea after eating, especially fatty meals, a drilling pain in your abdomen below your ribs (not something that feels like a muscle pull)? Those are some of the typical symptoms. 

If your major symptoms are upper right quadrant pain, pain between the shoulder blades and intercoastal or rib pain, these are not necessarily the symptoms of a bum gallbladder.  What I'm saying is that you should ask your doctor or doctors if the gallbladder is enlarged, swollen, infected, loaded with stones, and creating fluid around your liver. All of this they should be able to see with imaging of one type or another.  If not, and if you do not have some of the typical symptoms, then, in my opinion, there is no rush to surgery. 

Examine in a quiet moment when you can calm yourself down the time, place or conditions of when this pain first started.  Examine you life situation and its stresses.  Examine how you hold yourself.  Are you cringing and rolling your shoulder forward or up?  This is something that is done unconsciously, the "flight or fight" reflex".   

Also, are you a nervous person?  Have you had previous maladies that nobody could put their finger on: digestive, lower back pain, headaches (migraines especially).

Just give yourself time to think before going under the knife, because there are many cases where people go in with this type of pain, have their gallbladders removed, and the pain remains. 

Once again, I'm not a doctor, obviously, but these are some points to consider.  Carefully.
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

• Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2014, 02:26:47 AM »
I just wanted to pop in and say that I had serious issues with pain in that same area. Weird twangs all of the time, sometimes feeling like electric shock. As soon as I got my anxiety in check and quit focusing on it, it went away. No more problems. It could just be your anxiety.
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline NeverAgain2

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2014, 08:19:23 AM »
One more thing I want to clarify regarding the removal of the gallbladder and pain continuing.  The reason the pain continued was because the gallbladder function was either not the correct diagnosis, that  it was not the source of the pain, or there was a coincidental problem with the gallbladder and anxiety/stress symptoms.

Again, I'm not a doctor; this is not medical advice, but think of this, too.  What exactly does a low functioning gallbladder mean when people have them removed all the time, thus having a zero functioning gallbladder? :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share

Offline n50plic

• Poke This Member
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2014, 08:05:55 PM »
I had bloodwork done, upper abdominal ultrasound, and just had an endoscopy. All supposedly came back fine just a little irritation and redness in my gut. I still have pain in my right side shooting through to my mid/lower back. My question is would all these tests show if there was something serious going on or should I order an mri and more testing? I just want to know what's wrong like so many of us apparently. They didn't tell me my GB was low functioning. Would the Ultrasound show that or not? I have so many questions I think I need new doctors :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Moebearocka1980

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2014, 08:08:27 PM »
n50 - HIDA scan shows a low functioning gallbladder. Ultrasound shows gallstones.
Bookmark and Share
"Fear defeats more people than any other one thing in the world.  ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson