Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Gallbladder or muscle problem??  (Read 2204 times)

Offline threnners

• Leaping to the worst conclusion in a single bound!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Anxiety Girl
    • Poke This Member
Re: Gallbladder or muscle problem??
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 01:47:23 AM »
I never had a HIDA scan - they just did an ultrasound of my gallbladder that came back that I was chock full of stones.   But I did have a nonstop pain in my lower right side just around the belt line.   Once they removed the gallbladder, the pain was gone. 

Ask your doctor for a muscle relaxer like Flexaril or Zanaflex.   If you wake up painless, you have your answer that it's muscle.
Bookmark and Share

Offline NeverAgain2

• Rec's: 12
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 12:17:58 PM »
So, for the past 6 months or so I've been having pains in my upper right ab (like right under my breast), as well as a little lower. It usually happens on the right side.. and it also extends to my side sometimes.. and to my back. I went to the doctor for this before Halloween and she thought it could be my gallbladder, so she ordered an ultrasound to be done. The results came back perfectly fine. I still got the pains though but just have been dealing with it. She said if the pains continued, I should call back and have another test done (a HIDA scan, I believe). she said my gallbladder may not be functioning properly and a HIDA scan would show that. I called the office Friday and left a message for her nurse, teling her I keep getting the pains and I guess I will just have to go on and get this test done... but they never called me back!!  :(

But to be honest with you, I kind of don't even think it is my gallbladder. A girl I work with had her gallbladder taken out and we were talking about my symptoms VS hers... I haven't thrown up or even felt nasaus. I don't have a fever and my shoulder doesn't hurt... it's just a pain in my side and to be honest, it kind of feels like a muscle. I have been doing loads and loads of research on this and have come across the intercostal muscle. I don't exercise or anything! I used to, but ended up hurting my knee and ankles because I was doing it improperly, so I stopped. (But my pain was before that, anyway). I do a lot of twisting at my work though, so I'm wondering if that could very well be it. It also seems to burn a bit at times... my back has also been hurting a lot lately, like my whole back, upper and lower. It was so bad today at work I could barely stand... I just wanted to collapse and sit down. My abs/side also hurt when I bend over, turn a certain way, lay on it... sometimes it even hruts when I breath or cough... it also hurts to be hugged! And I get tired very very easily now!!! Like, shopping exhausts me... carrying bags, etc... I also can't even do simple household chores without having to take a break and just lay down between them. It also hurts to pick stuff up or carry items... WTF is wrong with me? I don't even think it's my gallbladder now.... sometimes it does hurt when I eat.... but it's right when I first start eating... like chewing my food and swallowing.. could that just be the muscle hurting??? I guess I will call the doctor back tomorrow. I just don't know if I should see her or just schedule the HIDA scan because honestly, i don't feel like spending more money on tests if it's not my gallbladder.

I went through this.  You can go and get a HIDA scan if you wish, but keep in mind that many people with no symptomatic  gallbladder problems may show a GB that is not working up to 100%.

Your side and back hurting are classic signs of anxiety illness.  And the more you focus on them the worse it will get. I know.  I had the same symptoms and went from doc to doc, and nothing proved conclusive.  In fact, if you do a search on the internet, which I would not advise, you will find post after post about right sided pain and intercoastal pain and upper/mid back pain, and in 99.9 percent of these cases they never find out what is wrong with them, or they are told that they have a bad gallbladder, a herniated disc, a "fatty liver" and on and on, and then they deal with these supposed diagnosis and the pain persists.

Why?

Because in those 99 percent of cases it was the wrong diagnosis.  The right dx is anxiety, and anxiety and stress will cause a "fight or flight" reflex that will cause unconscious cringing and bracing and tensing, and eventually with enough of it your muscles tighten and remain that way, and then you become afraid of the symptoms.

Get the tests done to your satisfaction, but remember that if they do not show anything conclusive, or it is doubtful to you, consider that the back muscles tightening will refer pain to your chest and abdomen and of course cause pain when standing, walking, sitting and doing most anything.

Examine the stresses in your life and how you react to them.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Moebearocka1980

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 12:35:16 PM »
It is really reassuring to know that so many of us have this problem and we are all still here. It's been one year today that I've been dealing with this. Ugh.
Bookmark and Share
"Fear defeats more people than any other one thing in the world.  ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline sad_dad

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 03:06:58 PM »
Hi sad_dad! Has your doctor said anything about the intercostal muscle? If my HIDA scan results come back normal, I am going to have to have a serious talk with my doctor on finding out what exactly it is so it can be treated! I wish you look in finding the answer as well!

I actually mentioned the intercostals to my doctor after doing so much googling about the pain. I'm pretty sure it isn't gallbladder as food doesn't affect it at all, and I've never had nauseousness. I had contemplated asking about getting a HIDA scan, but I really don't think that's my problem and don't want to do another test if it isn't necessary.

My doc actually recommended I see a chiropractor. She said if it is costochondritis as she suspects, a chiropractor might be able to help a little.  Even as I sit here typing, I have the sensation in my chest, RUQ area of my abdomen. Its not bad, but its there. If I press in on my lower sternum, it is sore. If I press in on my mid-ribs, right on the bone toward the side, they are sore. I have been doing a lot of shoveling of snow recently, which may have exacerbated the issue the last few days. But google can still scare you, and me in particular, talking about Pancreas and the C-Word, and whatever. I hate google so much sometimes. I try to avoid it, but sometimes get weak. I have to believe my doctors who actually see me and its their job to figure these things out. I have had a ton of tests, and advocated for myself, so there's only so much more I can do. I have to stop tilting at windmills so to speak, and just believe its nothing that serious.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Moebearocka1980

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2014, 03:23:12 PM »
I feel the same way about getting a HIDA scan done. I don't know how much I want to push for it since I don't honestly think that it's a gallbladder issues but I don't know. I may just get it. What IF my gallbladder isn't functioning? I dunno. I'm tend to lean more towards the over-test me spectrum of the HA community which isn't always good. All of the other tests that I've had have come back normal so maybe I just need to give it up. It's hard though because I've had this nagging discomfort for a year. I did have 3 months of a break though this summer which does make me feel better.
Bookmark and Share
"Fear defeats more people than any other one thing in the world.  ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline n50plic

• Poke This Member
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2014, 05:32:37 PM »
Hey never again....when you had your gallstone issues do u remember if u had burning pipes and pain between the breastbone? I'm having that now and its awful
Bookmark and Share

Offline threnners

• Leaping to the worst conclusion in a single bound!
  • Anxiety Girl
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2014, 06:20:40 PM »
I did.  I also had ferocious reflux, and was pretty much unable to eat most foods that weren't bland. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline NeverAgain2

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2014, 07:29:44 PM »
Hi sad_dad! Has your doctor said anything about the intercostal muscle? If my HIDA scan results come back normal, I am going to have to have a serious talk with my doctor on finding out what exactly it is so it can be treated! I wish you look in finding the answer as well!

I actually mentioned the intercostals to my doctor after doing so much googling about the pain. I'm pretty sure it isn't gallbladder as food doesn't affect it at all, and I've never had nauseousness. I had contemplated asking about getting a HIDA scan, but I really don't think that's my problem and don't want to do another test if it isn't necessary.

My doc actually recommended I see a chiropractor. She said if it is costochondritis as she suspects, a chiropractor might be able to help a little.  Even as I sit here typing, I have the sensation in my chest, RUQ area of my abdomen. Its not bad, but its there. If I press in on my lower sternum, it is sore. If I press in on my mid-ribs, right on the bone toward the side, they are sore. I have been doing a lot of shoveling of snow recently, which may have exacerbated the issue the last few days. But google can still scare you, and me in particular, talking about Pancreas and the C-Word, and whatever. I hate google so much sometimes. I try to avoid it, but sometimes get weak. I have to believe my doctors who actually see me and its their job to figure these things out. I have had a ton of tests, and advocated for myself, so there's only so much more I can do. I have to stop tilting at windmills so to speak, and just believe its nothing that serious.

You are overly conscious and fearing of your symptoms.  This is normal, but remember they are distressing but not dangerous.  If you have had tests and they are negative then you are most likely suffering from the effects of chronic stress, which does sneak up on you little by little until you one day wake with or start to feel the tightness and pain.

Don't google. It's reinforces your mind's idea that something is wrong with you.

Your doctor suggested visiting a chiropractor because he/she knows it is stress related and muscular, and is hoping a few useless adjustments will provide you with a placebo effect.  Most MD's and even DO's do not know enough about the effects of stress on the muscular-skeletal system.  Chiropractors believe everything is related to adjusting your spine.  Guess what, spines don't need adjusting, unless you have been tossed out of a second story window and landed on your back on a fence rail.  Then you need immediate surgery. 

I'm not telling you not to go to a chiropractor, but don't go.  Might as well toss your money out that same window.

Instead work on the sources of your stress and anxiety.  Really work on it.  Mean business.
Bookmark and Share

Offline NeverAgain2

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2014, 07:38:39 PM »
Hey never again....when you had your gallstone issues do u remember if u had burning pipes and pain between the breastbone? I'm having that now and its awful

I never knew I had a gallbladder problem until the ER surgeon told me my GB had to come out.  I only had one gallbladder attack, and that was the one. I did not have typical gallbladder symptoms.  I did, however, have a bulge on my side that was dismissed as "nothing" for several years, and, which, because it did not cause pain, I thought to be a hernia.  Dumb, yes, but I was caretaking a terminal relative at the time, and my health came second.  Also dumb.  What caused my pain and stiffness, looking back, was that the bulge seemed to be getting larger and I started working with Dr. Google to dx myself.  In other words, I stressed my already stressed self over the edge.

I'm guessing you are having further results of anxiety and stress, which are what you describe.  Stress and anxiety effect the same bodily systems on every single person alive, only some people get symptoms in one place and some in another.  The muscular system is one, the digestive system another, etc..

If you have had rounds of tests and you are negative you must work on you anxiety.  Accept your symptoms, stop fighting them, learn to destress and learn what has/is causing your fear and anxiety.  The last one might be the hardest, especially if you think, like most, like me, that you have been handling things just fine all of your life.
Bookmark and Share

Offline n50plic

• Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2014, 07:48:46 PM »
Ok thanks. That's exactly how I am right now.
Bookmark and Share