Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Gallbladder or muscle problem??  (Read 1434 times)

Offline sparkle

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Gallbladder or muscle problem??
« on: January 05, 2014, 09:04:41 PM »
So, for the past 6 months or so I've been having pains in my upper right ab (like right under my breast), as well as a little lower. It usually happens on the right side.. and it also extends to my side sometimes.. and to my back. I went to the doctor for this before Halloween and she thought it could be my gallbladder, so she ordered an ultrasound to be done. The results came back perfectly fine. I still got the pains though but just have been dealing with it. She said if the pains continued, I should call back and have another test done (a HIDA scan, I believe). she said my gallbladder may not be functioning properly and a HIDA scan would show that. I called the office Friday and left a message for her nurse, teling her I keep getting the pains and I guess I will just have to go on and get this test done... but they never called me back!!  :(

But to be honest with you, I kind of don't even think it is my gallbladder. A girl I work with had her gallbladder taken out and we were talking about my symptoms VS hers... I haven't thrown up or even felt nasaus. I don't have a fever and my shoulder doesn't hurt... it's just a pain in my side and to be honest, it kind of feels like a muscle. I have been doing loads and loads of research on this and have come across the intercostal muscle. I don't exercise or anything! I used to, but ended up hurting my knee and ankles because I was doing it improperly, so I stopped. (But my pain was before that, anyway). I do a lot of twisting at my work though, so I'm wondering if that could very well be it. It also seems to burn a bit at times... my back has also been hurting a lot lately, like my whole back, upper and lower. It was so bad today at work I could barely stand... I just wanted to collapse and sit down. My abs/side also hurt when I bend over, turn a certain way, lay on it... sometimes it even hruts when I breath or cough... it also hurts to be hugged! And I get tired very very easily now!!! Like, shopping exhausts me... carrying bags, etc... I also can't even do simple household chores without having to take a break and just lay down between them. It also hurts to pick stuff up or carry items... WTF is wrong with me? I don't even think it's my gallbladder now.... sometimes it does hurt when I eat.... but it's right when I first start eating... like chewing my food and swallowing.. could that just be the muscle hurting??? I guess I will call the doctor back tomorrow. I just don't know if I should see her or just schedule the HIDA scan because honestly, i don't feel like spending more money on tests if it's not my gallbladder.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Moebearocka1980

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Gallbladder or muscle problem??
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 04:14:19 PM »
Sparkle - You described me 100%. I am going through the same, same, same things that you are going through. This has been going on pretty much for almost one solid year. I did have some relief from July-September though (Sweet bliss!).

I have had a normal abdominal ultrasound (only showed mildly fatty liver), a normal abdominal ct scan, normal colonoscopy, normal MRI of the whole spine (minus some normal degenerative wear that showed up), normal brain MRI, tons of normal blood work, etc.

I have not had a HIDA yet or an endoscopy but will see my GI doc on the 28th and plan on asking him about these tests.

I totally 100% know what you are going through. It's scary! Let me know what you find out.
Bookmark and Share
"Fear defeats more people than any other one thing in the world.  ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline sparkle

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 06:54:28 PM »
Thank you for your reply! I've been researching all this non-sense online and it seems a lot of people have this problem, have had all these tests done, and can't find out what is wrong with them! I really hope it is not my liver or something :( My doctor's office finally got in touch with me today and I will be having a HIDA scan this Friday. I looked that up online and it said it could take 2 hours!!! OMG, I cannot imagine just lying there 2 hours on my back! I am so scared because I hope they don't find anything wrong with my gallbladder. I've never had surgery and am terrified of it!

Has your doctor said anything about the intercostal muscles to you? Mine hasn't yet, but if my HIDA scan comes back normal (which I pray it does!), I'm going to bring it up to her. It really feels like my muscle is sore, but then I get scared, thinking it's my organs.

We'll have to stay in touch! Let me know how your appointment goes at the end of the month.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Moebearocka1980

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 07:35:20 PM »
I'd love you to share some of the research tat you've found where other people are dealing with our issue!

2 hours for the HIDA scan?! Eep! I would hate that too. I hated the hour I was inside the machine for my MRI. My Ct scan and abdominal ultrasound have showed no gallstones but I've read enough about the HIDA scan to know that sometimes you can have a nonfunctioning gallbladder with no stones and the only way to find that out is with the HIDA. I'm sure you know all about that too. I'm not too afraid of gallbladder surgery surprisingly. It would kind of be a relief to just have the gallbladder out and rid myself of this pain. However, I don't really think it's my gallbladder wither. I tend to think it's muscular but during my dark times, I think it's my liver.

My doctor hasn't mentioned the intercostal muscles in particular but has told me that he believes my pain is muscular and not from any organs. It's hard for me to decipher though. I just had an appointment this week and he told me that nothing felt enlarged and all of my liver blood work came back perfect. I really need to stop obsessing about my liver.

Do your pains ever extend into your shoulder, upper ribcage, arm? Mine do sometimes on my right side but there is no correlation to it happening with eating, which again makes me feel like it's less likely to be from my gallbladder.

Please keep in touch with me as well and let me know who things go on Friday!

Bookmark and Share
"Fear defeats more people than any other one thing in the world.  ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline sparkle

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 05:29:21 PM »
Hello!

I'll have to see if I can find the sites I found where people are dealing with our pains. I didn't save the urls or anything... I've just been doing obsessive random searches!  :spineyes:

My HIDA scan was not bad.... just boring as all hell! A whole hour at first just lying on my back while whatever he injected me with travelled to my gallbladder and then he injected the 'fatty substance medicine' into me and that was the last 30 minutes. For some reason, the final medicine he injected into me made my chest hurt. I asked him if that was normal and he said he heard people say they have all kinds of problems with that medicine... some will say their back hurts really bad, their chest hurts, their side hurts, etc.... I just had a bad pain in my chest from that medicine and it kind of freaked me out. Other than that, it was okay and I'll find the results on Monday hopefully!

My pains never extend into my shoulder, upper ribcage, or arm... mostly it will extend around to my side/back... possibly the middle of my back. and like you, I don't have a correlation to it happening with eating! Weird! It just randomly occurs.... like if I move a certain way, etc... but then again, sometimes it does kind of happen after I eat, so who knows? But it doesn't matter what I eat! Like, once I just had a cup of coffee and it started to hurt... so I don't know if it's the muscles mvoing when I eat/drink or what.... it's really weird. I am hoping to get some answers and see what it is though!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Moebearocka1980

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 05:38:37 PM »
Hi sparkle!

Yay for the scan being done and over with! Your one step closer to answers. The wait till the 28th is killing me! And even then it's just an appt with my GI doc. He'll have to schedule the endoscopy/hida from there.

I'm sure you were freaked out after the medicine made you feel that way. Ugh. Not looking forward to that!

Please keep me updated on what you find out on Monday.

I'm sending healing thoughts your way!  :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
Bookmark and Share

Offline sparkle

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 05:41:00 PM »
Aww, thank you! You're so sweet!  :happy0151: I will let you know what happens on Monday. The 28th is such a long ways off!!!! Let me know how it goes!
Bookmark and Share

Offline sad_dad

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 12:13:23 AM »
Just want to add I also have this EXACT same issue. Usually it seems women have it, but I'm a 42 year old man. Nagging pain/discomfort on right side. Also had all the tests come back normal....Ultrasound, non-Contast abdominal CT, Upper Endoscopy, Coloscopy, Blood Work, Chest X-Ray. They found a slightly fatty liver, that's it. Liver blood markers were normal, though. I can manipulate the pain through certain movement, and can also get pain by pressing in/under my 4th or 5th rib, pressing right on the bone. Leads me to think costochondritis, and my doctor also thinks that. NSAIDS tend to reduce the amount of pain, which is never terrible, but always "there". But because NSAIDS work on it, it points to inflammation. My mind starts running away with me over my cancer fears. But none of my doctors think that's remotely possible. I try to take their word and accept it. But I have a ton of anxiety and worry over it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline i960

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 12:21:21 AM »
Sounds like costochondritis to me as well - especially if the tests haven't shown anything conclusive.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sparkle

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 12:35:14 AM »
Hi sad_dad! Has your doctor said anything about the intercostal muscle? If my HIDA scan results come back normal, I am going to have to have a serious talk with my doctor on finding out what exactly it is so it can be treated! I wish you look in finding the answer as well!
Bookmark and Share

Offline threnners

• Leaping to the worst conclusion in a single bound!
  • Anxiety Girl
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 01:47:23 AM »
I never had a HIDA scan - they just did an ultrasound of my gallbladder that came back that I was chock full of stones.   But I did have a nonstop pain in my lower right side just around the belt line.   Once they removed the gallbladder, the pain was gone. 

Ask your doctor for a muscle relaxer like Flexaril or Zanaflex.   If you wake up painless, you have your answer that it's muscle.
Bookmark and Share

Offline NeverAgain2

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 12:17:58 PM »
So, for the past 6 months or so I've been having pains in my upper right ab (like right under my breast), as well as a little lower. It usually happens on the right side.. and it also extends to my side sometimes.. and to my back. I went to the doctor for this before Halloween and she thought it could be my gallbladder, so she ordered an ultrasound to be done. The results came back perfectly fine. I still got the pains though but just have been dealing with it. She said if the pains continued, I should call back and have another test done (a HIDA scan, I believe). she said my gallbladder may not be functioning properly and a HIDA scan would show that. I called the office Friday and left a message for her nurse, teling her I keep getting the pains and I guess I will just have to go on and get this test done... but they never called me back!!  :(

But to be honest with you, I kind of don't even think it is my gallbladder. A girl I work with had her gallbladder taken out and we were talking about my symptoms VS hers... I haven't thrown up or even felt nasaus. I don't have a fever and my shoulder doesn't hurt... it's just a pain in my side and to be honest, it kind of feels like a muscle. I have been doing loads and loads of research on this and have come across the intercostal muscle. I don't exercise or anything! I used to, but ended up hurting my knee and ankles because I was doing it improperly, so I stopped. (But my pain was before that, anyway). I do a lot of twisting at my work though, so I'm wondering if that could very well be it. It also seems to burn a bit at times... my back has also been hurting a lot lately, like my whole back, upper and lower. It was so bad today at work I could barely stand... I just wanted to collapse and sit down. My abs/side also hurt when I bend over, turn a certain way, lay on it... sometimes it even hruts when I breath or cough... it also hurts to be hugged! And I get tired very very easily now!!! Like, shopping exhausts me... carrying bags, etc... I also can't even do simple household chores without having to take a break and just lay down between them. It also hurts to pick stuff up or carry items... WTF is wrong with me? I don't even think it's my gallbladder now.... sometimes it does hurt when I eat.... but it's right when I first start eating... like chewing my food and swallowing.. could that just be the muscle hurting??? I guess I will call the doctor back tomorrow. I just don't know if I should see her or just schedule the HIDA scan because honestly, i don't feel like spending more money on tests if it's not my gallbladder.

I went through this.  You can go and get a HIDA scan if you wish, but keep in mind that many people with no symptomatic  gallbladder problems may show a GB that is not working up to 100%.

Your side and back hurting are classic signs of anxiety illness.  And the more you focus on them the worse it will get. I know.  I had the same symptoms and went from doc to doc, and nothing proved conclusive.  In fact, if you do a search on the internet, which I would not advise, you will find post after post about right sided pain and intercoastal pain and upper/mid back pain, and in 99.9 percent of these cases they never find out what is wrong with them, or they are told that they have a bad gallbladder, a herniated disc, a "fatty liver" and on and on, and then they deal with these supposed diagnosis and the pain persists.

Why?

Because in those 99 percent of cases it was the wrong diagnosis.  The right dx is anxiety, and anxiety and stress will cause a "fight or flight" reflex that will cause unconscious cringing and bracing and tensing, and eventually with enough of it your muscles tighten and remain that way, and then you become afraid of the symptoms.

Get the tests done to your satisfaction, but remember that if they do not show anything conclusive, or it is doubtful to you, consider that the back muscles tightening will refer pain to your chest and abdomen and of course cause pain when standing, walking, sitting and doing most anything.

Examine the stresses in your life and how you react to them.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Moebearocka1980

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 12:35:16 PM »
It is really reassuring to know that so many of us have this problem and we are all still here. It's been one year today that I've been dealing with this. Ugh.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sad_dad

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 03:06:58 PM »
Hi sad_dad! Has your doctor said anything about the intercostal muscle? If my HIDA scan results come back normal, I am going to have to have a serious talk with my doctor on finding out what exactly it is so it can be treated! I wish you look in finding the answer as well!

I actually mentioned the intercostals to my doctor after doing so much googling about the pain. I'm pretty sure it isn't gallbladder as food doesn't affect it at all, and I've never had nauseousness. I had contemplated asking about getting a HIDA scan, but I really don't think that's my problem and don't want to do another test if it isn't necessary.

My doc actually recommended I see a chiropractor. She said if it is costochondritis as she suspects, a chiropractor might be able to help a little.  Even as I sit here typing, I have the sensation in my chest, RUQ area of my abdomen. Its not bad, but its there. If I press in on my lower sternum, it is sore. If I press in on my mid-ribs, right on the bone toward the side, they are sore. I have been doing a lot of shoveling of snow recently, which may have exacerbated the issue the last few days. But google can still scare you, and me in particular, talking about Pancreas and the C-Word, and whatever. I hate google so much sometimes. I try to avoid it, but sometimes get weak. I have to believe my doctors who actually see me and its their job to figure these things out. I have had a ton of tests, and advocated for myself, so there's only so much more I can do. I have to stop tilting at windmills so to speak, and just believe its nothing that serious.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Moebearocka1980

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2014, 03:23:12 PM »
I feel the same way about getting a HIDA scan done. I don't know how much I want to push for it since I don't honestly think that it's a gallbladder issues but I don't know. I may just get it. What IF my gallbladder isn't functioning? I dunno. I'm tend to lean more towards the over-test me spectrum of the HA community which isn't always good. All of the other tests that I've had have come back normal so maybe I just need to give it up. It's hard though because I've had this nagging discomfort for a year. I did have 3 months of a break though this summer which does make me feel better.
Bookmark and Share